Intrepid December 10th, 10 day cancelled

darthfoster

Feb 29, 2008
Long Beach
Name
Anthony
Boat
American Angler, always and forever
I was scheduled to leave on the Intrepid 10 day trip on the 10th and on Monday received an email that the trip was canceled because not enough passengers! I needed to find another boat that had a schedule that fit my vacation timeline and the only boat that was available was the Excel leaving on Sunday the 7. They just got permits for Guadalupe Island and they had some space so I am booked on the Excel as a first time passenger. It’s a 7 day trip and I have a 20lbs, 30lbs, 40lbs, 60lbs, 100lbs and 130lbs outfits. I am borrowing the 60 and 130 from the boat. I hope I have the right outfits for the island...

Reactions: locvetter and wils

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I doubt you’ll use the 20. The 130 might be too heavy, but bring it. Don’t forget fluro. Not sure what the bait is like, might need smaller hooks. I know the Apollo just got back. Mostly 69 to 80 pound fish, some over 100. The boat should have the info.

Good luck and have fun.

tunacraze

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 27, 2006
Santee
Name
Steve Brunton
Boat
The Big Ones
You're good on setups! You were lucky to find another trip. Go make the most of it! Good luck! I'm pretty sure you will like the boat. I've never been on a trip with them, but I have seen the boat inside and out. It's super nice!

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
I wound up at the Lupe on the RR3 in September the same way when the searcher cancelled my 7 day.

My suggestion is to learn what "they" call finesse fishing (i call it combat fishing) and practice if you don't have that skill set. (i didn't)

I never landed a fish there.......it was worth the trip for the sharks, the boat and vacation value though.

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
I was scheduled to leave on the Intrepid 10 day trip on the 10th and on Monday received an email that the trip was canceled because not enough passengers! I needed to find another boat that had a schedule that fit my vacation timeline and the only boat that was available was the Excel leaving on Sunday the 7. They just got permits for Guadalupe Island and they had some space so I am booked on the Excel as a first time passenger. It’s a 7 day trip and I have a 20lbs, 30lbs, 40lbs, 60lbs, 100lbs and 130lbs outfits. I am borrowing the 60 and 130 from the boat. I hope I have the right outfits for the island...
Anthony,

I just got back from Guadalupe and your "go to" setups will be 40, 50 and 60lbs. Due to the larger grade models (100-150lbs), I would stick with 50lb with a 8-10' topshot of fluoro and a 2/0 hook. I had some long battles on small 50lb gear and had my ass handed to me a few times by these bigger fish. Super fun and challenging....but not for everyone. Make sure you have 60-65lb braid or hollow, you'll get bit with more frequency. I fished 80lb spectra and 60lb fluoro and never got picked up. I went back to my 65lb spectra and 50lb fluoro and it was automatic the entire trip. Good luck. Doug

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
Shogun also has a very good trip coming up. They have a 7 day trip that leaves on Dec 14th and there are only 11 people signed up for the trip and they say it is a definite go. I was at Guadalupe a week ago on the Shogun and fishing was very good with no sharks around for the entire trip. The fish were good size like 60 to 90 lbs with a few over 100lbs.

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
The Lupe IMO is not a good substitute for HB or the buffer zone or for that matter the lower banks when the fish are there.....I go on a 15 day in the winter to catch cows.......
He took the next best option in the similar time frame. Nothing wrong with fishing the Island when your original trip was cancelled. In reality, if you fish on boats that don't have the proper permits....you wouldn't really know (and can only read and speculate) how good that fishing has been over the past few years. I think it's a great option without extending past his original 10 day......

Last edited:

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
He took the next best option in the similar time frame. Nothing wrong with fishing the Island when your original trip was cancelled. In reality, if you fish on boats that don't have the proper permits....you wouldn't really know (and can only read and speculate) how good that fishing has been over the past few years. I think it's a great option without extending past his original 10 day......
I have fished at the island at least 10 times I know what the fishing there can be like ....hot and cold or lukewarm....with no real options if it is cold and sharky JMO....they are getting the cows right now on ten day trips at the lower banks....

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
I have fished at the island at least 10 times I know what the fishing there can be like ....hot and cold or lukewarm....with no real options if it is cold and sharky JMO....they are getting the cows right now on ten day trips at the lower banks....
Hot, cold or lukewarm is what fishing is regardless of destination. Understood you have fished there in the past, which is exactly my point. No GW’s at this time of the year, they’ve migrated out. Yes they are catching big fish on the 10 day trips, but remember who cancelled on him. Had they not, we wouldn’t be on this thread.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and run short .One week notice on a 10 day is kind of weak . Some people have a lot vested in a 10 day before it leaves the dock .These are people that probably won't book with them again . This has the potential to snowball .
Not a good business model IMHO .

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and run short .One week notice on a 10 day is kind of weak . Some people have a lot vested in a 10 day before it leaves the dock .These are people that probably won't book with them again . This has the potential to snowball .
Mike - you have a good point and thankfully Anthony had an option during that same time frame.

Anthony - have a great trip and glad you were able to jump on the big boat as a secondary option. Fishing has been outstanding at the Island this Fall and hopefully they will continue to bite. For reference, check the fish reports for the Royal Star and Royal Polaris....Outstanding Quality! Good luck and safe travels.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Hot, cold or lukewarm is what fishing is regardless of destination. Understood you have fished there in the past, which is exactly my point. No GW’s at this time of the year, they’ve migrated out. Yes they are catching big fish on the 10 day trips, but remember who cancelled on him. Had they not, we wouldn’t be on this thread.

I think you missed my point.....if the island is dead you have very few options.....all I am saying is if I had a choice I would go South JMO.....

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Fish 50# bait, 80# chunk, 80# dropper loop. That's about it for Guadalupe.

Darin Dohi

Jul 22, 2014
Name
Hanapaa90504
Boat
Bluegill Whisperer
Fishy...you may have overlooked the fact that Anthony (DarthFoster) was originally scheduled on a 10-day. I definitely could be wrong but how many 10-day trips make it to HB? Just my 2 cents here. I think the option to head to Guadalupe is solid. Great fishing for nice size fish. Not all of us can be cow wranglers like you and your friends.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Fishy...you may have overlooked the fact that Anthony (DarthFoster) was originally scheduled on a 10-day. I definitely could be wrong but how many 10-day trips make it to HB? Just my 2 cents here. I think the option to head to Guadalupe is solid. Great fishing for nice size fish. Not all of us can be cow wranglers like you and your friends.

Darin they are catching cows and super cows right now on a 10 day at the lower banks...last week both the Excel and Rooster caught cows at the lower banks...not the HB or buffer zone....

Bearaz

Dec 28, 2017
Kerrville TX
Name
David Twilley
Boat
Yours
I was also scheduled on the 12/10 Intrepid trip. My first long range trip. Very disappointed that we were only given 8 days notice of cancellation. The staff knew the trip was lite more than 30 days ago. Being from Texas I lost money on hotels and travel plans. Especially disappointed from a possible chance to catch some nice fish....yes the Intrepid is catching cows on their current 10 day trip. Will have to think about the possibility of booking on the Intrepid in the future.

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
hb ca usa
Name
gary
Boat
n/a
Confusing responses to the fact that his original 10 day was cancelled, wow in good economic times too, Wait until after 2020 if the left get their way. Sorry starting to drift stern 1st into the wind. Anyway you go to Guadalupe on a 6 day to fill your pain and happen to catch 60-150 lb YFT on the hook in flat weather on lighter gear is a much more an angling accomplishment anyways. Cow fishing is over rated, after a couple in the 200's release the rest unless the numbers game and ego get in your way

Reactions: Darin Dohi

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
So, what's the "normal" lead time when a boat cancels a trip?

Eight days, in my opinion, is very inconsiderate to all the passengers that signed up for the trip. They make plans, buy tackle, schedule vacation time, book air line tickets, book hotel reservations, etc. And the boat cancels without any consideration as to what their passengers are going to do? Ridiculous! Their answer would probably be......."you should have purchased trip insurance". My answer to that would be "I'll try another boat".

One of the boats that I ride, gives a minimum of 30 days notice when they cancel a trip. And when they do, they have checked all the other boats schedules and make recommendations as to what trip will fit their schedule, and refer them to that boat, if possible. Or they try to reschedule them to another trip on the same boat. They do all of this because they understand the hardships that accompany a cancelled trip.

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
So, what's the "normal" lead time when a boat cancels a trip?

Eight days, in my opinion, is very inconsiderate to all the passengers that signed up for the trip. They make plans, buy tackle, schedule vacation time, book air line tickets, book hotel reservations, etc. And the boat cancels without any consideration as to what their passengers are going to do? Ridiculous! Their answer would probably be......."you should have purchased trip insurance". My answer to that would be "I'll try another boat".

One of the boats that I ride, gives a minimum of 30 days notice when they cancel a trip. And when they do, they have checked all the other boats schedules and make recommendations as to what trip will fit their schedule, and refer them to that boat, if possible. Or they try to reschedule them to another trip on the same boat. They do all of this because they understand the hardships that accompany a cancelled trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: One_Leg and Cubeye

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Tough call, business wise. Lose money by running short, or lose customers because you cancelled the trip on them.

I've noticed that when people get a trip cancelled on them, and they jump on another boat, they tend to stay with the new boat. Just my observations by talking to some guys.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
At least they were given an 8 day notice, unlike my 2015 Charter. The same operation let all 24 of us fly down, drive down and stay in the hotels days before and then elected to cancel our charter once everyone showed up and was on the boat. But that's another story........
Wow!...........A while back, I was talking to one guy with his two sons on the 5 day trip that I was on. He was from Arizona. They called 5 days before his trip and told him the trip was cancelled. He fortunately found another 5 day and jumped on it. Boy was he pissed.

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Wow!...........A while back, I was talking to one guy with his two sons on the 5 day trip that I was on. He was from Arizona. They called 5 days before his trip and told him the trip was cancelled. He fortunately found another 5 day and jumped on it. Boy was he pissed.
All good and we all moved on. The silver lining was the fact that I got to become good friends with Capt. Roy Rose and Capt. Frank LoPreste and the rest of the RP Crew. Now talking about a reputation and a fish killing machine.....Alpha Boat!

Anthony - my apologies, I didn't mean to steer off course with your original thread. Have a great trip and pull on some good ones!