streetnfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
Just returned from my annual 8 day (8/29-9/6) on the Intrepid and had a blast 😀. Got to Point Loma at 8:30, checked in and packed the dock cart. My girl and I settled in with the rest of the guys on the trip and talked about the crazy year and how glad we were to get away and fish. Once we boarded, we unpacked our gear and set up our rooms. All rooms smelled heavily of cleaner and new hand sanitizers were installed throughout the boat.
20200829_104629.jpg
20200829_104649.jpg

Our captain was Bill Cavanaugh with Sam as 2nd. Holding down the deck were Matthew, Sheppie , and Connor. In the kitchen was Brian and Edward. We had a good load of 6-8" dines and headed out ahead of the other boats. Bill called us into the galley and gave us the rundown on masking and other Covid procedures. He then gave us a few options on fishing. After a quick vote, it was decided that we would be heading down to "The Rocks" to look for wahoo.
20200829_124223.jpg
20200829_184632.jpg
20200829_185627.jpg
20200830_121840.jpg
20200830_182758.jpg
20200831_063754.jpg

A day and a half later we were at the rocks and started our search.
20200906_134931.jpg
20200831_081856.jpg

Soon we drew first blood.
20200907_160341.jpg
img-20200901-d24c3569.jpeg

It never went wide open and we covered a lot of water picking up a few Hoo's here and there. I think our best stop was for 15. I got lucky enough to go 4 for 6 on the bomb. Green seemed to be the hot color along with gold raiders. DTX's and a single intruder got the majority of the bites with the pink DTX being the hot ticket. After half a day chasing wahoo, we went to Alijos Bank to try for yellows. They were willing to bite but so were the sharks. Out of seven hookups, we only got 1 to the boat. That was enough for Bill and we took off to fish the Ridge for the next day.
We woke up to very warm glassy conditions on the ridge
20200901_135423.jpg
20200901_213352.jpg
20200901_213241.jpg

Lots of Frigates and turtles, but unfortunately no wahoo. We made several moves and finally found some Yellowfin Tuna. There were breezers everywhere of 3-5 lb tuna. Cute but not what we were looking for so we moved on.
20200901_193839.jpg

After searching for awhile we found some footballs to play with. They were accompanied by some huge Skipjack which were fun to pull on even though not what we were looking for. Towards late afternoon/evening, some nicer quality models moved in and we were able to pick up a few of those.
20200901_105207.jpg
20200907_160127.jpg

Along with the tuna, we picked random Dorado here and there when they would come investigate our chum.
I was lucky enough to get 3 nice ones by having a bait to cast when one swam by.
20200907_160048.jpg
20200902_185237.jpg

While on the ridge, we tried several spots for yellowtail and were able to pick up a few, but not in the numbers we were looking for. Yo yo iron worked if you could stand the grinding at the rail.
img-20200904-b362d6aa.jpeg

We spent the next day offshore looking for dorado on kelps. Thanks to Matthew's keen eyes, we found several nice kelps, but no one was home on any of them. I think we go 2 neckties at most. So off to the coast to look for more yellows.
In the morning we were able to pull up a few quality models at sunrise.
20200907_162054.jpg
. We made another move and pick up several more. We also got into some bonus Pargo ! I used my slow pitch set up to specifically target them and was able to pickup 5 nice ones along with another 2 from my girl bouncing a colt sniper. So stoked on that !
20200907_160023.jpg

Bill wanted to check one last spot and we were lucky he did ! It was wide open on 10-15lb yellows. There were "hundreds" ! They were flying around in packs chasing bait, jigs, and everything. If we didn't get boat limits, we were very close. Every technique worked. Unfortunately I was so busy having my best day ever on surface iron, I didn't take any pictures ! Definitely sore muscles the next morning after that one.
We continued to travel north for our last half day of fishing and we went for deep water Rockfish. Bill put us on some phenomenal spots. 5-6 lb reds coming over the rail often.
img-20200906-e3e2047d.jpeg
img-20200906-e99d3d74.jpeg
img-20200905-fe5c1263.jpeg

I was using my slow pitch set up again and having a blast with the light setup compared to the other 16oz plus dropper loops everybody else had. On the last stop, I set the hook into what I thought was the bottom at first. Then I got a head shake! The the fish started pulling drag which I had pretty tight. I slowly worked the fish up from the depths and finally got it to gaff. Huge Lingcod !
20200907_155820.jpg

Sam put it on a scale and it said 20lbs !
Personal best for me by far and great way to end the trip.
20200905_190215.jpg
We had a great dinner and pulled into port about 6:30 to offload with smiles all around
img-20200906-ad5f9e67.jpg
20200906_063630.jpg

Bill was great at the helm and kept us constantly informed about conditions and fishing choices. He kept at it looking for fish until he found paydirt. Sam was great as usually and helped out in all areas.
Deckhands, although new to the boat this season, had great attitudes, and showed lots of enthusiasm. Matthew was a standout. He's as good as they come !
Brian and Ed continued to bring out the best food everyday and were a pleasure to have around.
As far as the fishing. For wahoo, bombs, raiders, and wired baits worked. Wired or heavy flouro seemed to work the same. I got 2 on 65lb wired bombs and 2 on bombs with 100lb flouro. (All capt Jimmy's in green)
For tuna, 25/30 lb bait setups worked well with #1-1/0 hooks. Poppers, and stickbaits also worked well
For yellowtail, yo yo jigs worked the best up until it went wide open. Colt snipers worked also and well as 25-40lb bait setups. (Flyline or 1/2 oz slider. A few dropper loop fish were caught but they also got a lot of big whitefish and sheepshead.
This was only my 3rd trip for this year and it was so good to be out there and away from all the craziness. Tight lines everybody !
20200907_155543.jpg
20200907_155351.jpg

20200831_080255.jpg

Also thanks to Luc and Kevin from Anglers Choice for the great give aways and raffle prizes !

Last edited:

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
Great report, along with the Great Pictures. This is the reason I looks at the San Diego Long Range reports. Thank You !!

captain94704

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 19, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Jack
Boat
none
Thanks for the excellent report, I’m leaving on the intrepid in two days. What time do you recommend I get to the dock?

Professor

Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
Thanks for sharing the enjoyment and the info!

Eric Ancog

Mar 3, 2018
Lakewood
Name
Eric Ancog
Boat
Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
That was such a nice report to read and great pictures too. Made my day just reading it. Cant wait for my 9 day trip in November. Anticipating we'll be fishing the ridge too. Love seeing such a variety of fish being caught.

Reactions: Sciaenops

Sciaenops

Nov 23, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Keith
Boat
Aquasport Explorer 225
Great report & nice variety. Looks like weather cooperated too. I’ll take one of those trips.

chilidip

Jul 26, 2006
North OC
Name
David
Boat
17' Logic CC
Great write up. Thank you. We took a 2 day trip recently to tanner banks and while the primary target was BFT, we also got into YT, dodos, quality sheepshead, rockfish & whitefish.

It’s fun catching a variety of different species using various setups. Sure beats chasing foamers on a 3 day with poor results.

Loving that pic of the Pargo (or is it a red?) Huachinango.

looks like you had a blast.

streetnfish

Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
Very Nice trip report. Love the variety you got to experience!

Cheers
Yea great variety. Other species caught that I forgot to mention were, bonito,skipjack, sheep head, whitefish, baracuda, striped marlin, and a rare (star studded) grouper.

Last edited:

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
Thanks for the great write up. Makes me what to try out a longer boat, sounds like a great time fishing for different species and with varying techniques.

Reactions: watersdeep

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
Just returned from my annual 8 day (8/29-9/6) on the Intrepid and had a blast 😀. Got to Point Loma at 8:30, checked in and packed the dock cart. My girl and I settled in with the rest of the guys on the trip and talked about the crazy year and how glad we were to get away and fish. Once we boarded, we unpacked our gear and set up our rooms. All rooms smelled heavily of cleaner and new hand sanitizers were installed throughout the boat.
View attachment 1196661View attachment 1196662
Our captain was Bill Cavanaugh with Sam as 2nd. Holding down the deck were Matthew, Sheppie , and Connor. In the kitchen was Brian and Edward. We had a good load of 6-8" dines and headed out ahead of the other boats. Bill called us into the galley and gave us the rundown on masking and other Covid procedures. He then gave us a few options on fishing. After a quick vote, it was decided that we would be heading down to "The Rocks" to look for wahoo. View attachment 1196664View attachment 1196665View attachment 1196666View attachment 1196667View attachment 1196668View attachment 1196671
A day and a half later we were at the rocks and started our search.View attachment 1196673View attachment 1196674
Soon we drew first blood.View attachment 1196675View attachment 1196676
It never went wide open and we covered a lot of water picking up a few Hoo's here and there. I think our best stop was for 15. I got lucky enough to go 4 for 6 on the bomb. Green seemed to be the hot color along with gold raiders. DTX's and a single intruder got the majority of the bites with the pink DTX being the hot ticket. After half a day chasing wahoo, we went to Alijos Bank to try for yellows. They were willing to bite but so were the sharks. Out of seven hookups, we only got 1 to the boat. That was enough for Bill and we took off to fish the Ridge for the next day.
We woke up to very warm glassy conditions on the ridge View attachment 1196678View attachment 1196679View attachment 1196681
Lots of Frigates and turtles, but unfortunately no wahoo. We made several moves and finally found some Yellowfin Tuna. There were breezers everywhere of 3-5 lb tuna. Cute but not what we were looking for so we moved on.View attachment 1196695
After searching for awhile we found some footballs to play with. They were accompanied by some huge Skipjack which were fun to pull on even though not what we were looking for. Towards late afternoon/evening, some nicer quality models moved in and we were able to pick up a few of those. View attachment 1196696View attachment 1196697
Along with the tuna, we picked random Dorado here and there when they would come investigate our chum.
I was lucky enough to get 3 nice ones by having a bait to cast when one swam by. View attachment 1196698View attachment 1196699
While on the ridge, we tried several spots for yellowtail and were able to pick up a few, but not in the numbers we were looking for. Yo yo iron worked if you could stand the grinding at the rail.View attachment 1196701
We spent the next day offshore looking for dorado on kelps. Thanks to Matthew's keen eyes, we found several nice kelps, but no one was home on any of them. I think we go 2 neckties at most. So off to the coast to look for more yellows.
In the morning we were able to pull up a few quality models at sunrise. View attachment 1196702. We made another move and pick up several more. We also got into some bonus Pargo ! I used my slow pitch set up to specifically target them and was able to pickup 5 nice ones along with another 2 from my girl bouncing a colt sniper. So stoked on that !View attachment 1196705
Bill wanted to check one last spot and we were lucky he did ! It was wide open on 10-15lb yellows. There were "hundreds" ! They were flying around in packs chasing bait, jigs, and everything. If we didn't get boat limits, we were very close. Every technique worked. Unfortunately I was so busy having my best day ever on surface iron, I didn't take any pictures ! Definitely sore muscles the next morning after that one.
We continued to travel north for our last half day of fishing and we went for deep water Rockfish. Bill put us on some phenomenal spots. 5-6 lb reds coming over the rail often.View attachment 1196714View attachment 1196715View attachment 1196716
I was using my slow pitch set up again and having a blast with the light setup compared to the other 16oz plus dropper loops everybody else had. On the last stop, I set the hook into what I thought was the bottom at first. Then I got a head shake! The the fish started pulling drag which I had pretty tight. I slowly worked the fish up from the depths and finally got it to gaff. Huge Lingcod ! View attachment 1196720
Personal best for me by far and great way to end the trip. View attachment 1196721We had a great dinner and pulled into port about 6:30 to offload with smiles all around View attachment 1196722View attachment 1196723
Bill was great at the helm and kept us constantly informed about conditions and fishing choices. He kept at it looking for fish until he found paydirt. Sam was great as usually and helped out in all areas.
Deckhands, although new to the boat this season, had great attitudes, and showed lots of enthusiasm. Matthew was a standout. He's as good as they come !
Brian and Ed continued to bring out the best food everyday and were a pleasure to have around.
As far as the fishing. For wahoo, bombs, raiders, and wired baits worked. Wired or heavy flouro seemed to work the same. I got 2 on 65lb wired bombs and 2 on bombs with 100lb flouro. (All capt Jimmy's in green)
For tuna, 25/30 lb bait setups worked well with #1-1/0 hooks. Poppers, and stickbaits also worked well
For yellowtail, yo yo jigs worked the best up until it went wide open. Colt snipers worked also and well as 25-40lb bait setups. (Flyline or 1/2 oz slider. A few dropper loop fish were caught but they also got a lot of big whitefish and sheepshead.
This was only my 3rd trip for this year and it was so good to be out there and away from all the craziness. Tight lines everybody !View attachment 1196725View attachment 1196726

View attachment 1196672
Also thanks to Luc and Kevin from Anglers Choice for the great give aways and raffle prizes !
Very nice PIX!

Thanks much for the illustrated report!

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
Awesome report, looks like you guys had good fishing and weather...and serious good food! Thanks for an actual report!!

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Thank you for the great report and awesome pics. Congrats on the slow pitch success..

streetnfish

Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
Ray,
Could you elaborate/ explain in detail how you 'slow pitch' ?
Thanks.
Wow Doug ! That is a pretty tall order ! I think this is a pretty good video from Benny Ortiz. He helped me get the set up that I used on this trip. (Temple Reef Innovate 80MH and Accurate 500N). Basically you use the rod's flex/recoil properties to manipulate a metal jig to imitate a wounded baitfish or mabye even a squid.

Reactions: Cubeye

Tugboat64

150lb tuna club
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
View attachment 1196661View attachment 1196662
Our captain was Bill Cavanaugh with Sam as 2nd. Holding down the deck were Matthew, Sheppie , and Connor. In the kitchen was Brian and Edward. We had a good load of 6-8" dines and headed out ahead of the other boats. Bill called us into the galley and gave us the rundown on masking and other Covid procedures. He then gave us a few options on fishing. After a quick vote, it was decided that we would be heading down to "The Rocks" to look for wahoo. View attachment 1196664View attachment 1196665View attachment 1196666View attachment 1196667View attachment 1196668View attachment 1196671
A day and a half later we were at the rocks and started our search.View attachment 1196673View attachment 1196674
Soon we drew first blood.View attachment 1196675View attachment 1196676
We woke up to very warm glassy conditions on the ridge View attachment 1196678View attachment 1196679View attachment 1196681
Lots of Frigates and turtles, but unfortunately no wahoo. We made several moves and finally found some Yellowfin Tuna. There were breezers everywhere of 3-5 lb tuna. Cute but not what we were looking for so we moved on.View attachment 1196695
After searching for awhile we found some footballs to play with. They were accompanied by some huge Skipjack which were fun to pull on even though not what we were looking for. Towards late afternoon/evening, some nicer quality models moved in and we were able to pick up a few of those. View attachment 1196696View attachment 1196697
I was lucky enough to get 3 nice ones by having a bait to cast when one swam by. View attachment 1196698View attachment 1196699
While on the ridge, we tried several spots for yellowtail and were able to pick up a few, but not in the numbers we were looking for. Yo yo iron worked if you could stand the grinding at the rail.View attachment 1196701
In the morning we were able to pull up a few quality models at sunrise. View attachment 1196702. We made another move and pick up several more. We also got into some bonus Pargo ! I used my slow pitch set up to specifically target them and was able to pickup 5 nice ones along with another 2 from my girl bouncing a colt sniper. So stoked on that !View attachment 1196705
We continued to travel north for our last half day of fishing and we went for deep water Rockfish. Bill put us on some phenomenal spots. 5-6 lb reds coming over the rail often.View attachment 1196714View attachment 1196715View attachment 1196716
I was using my slow pitch set up again and having a blast with the light setup compared to the other 16oz plus dropper loops everybody else had. On the last stop, I set the hook into what I thought was the bottom at first. Then I got a head shake! The the fish started pulling drag which I had pretty tight. I slowly worked the fish up from the depths and finally got it to gaff. Huge Lingcod ! View attachment 1196720
Personal best for me by far and great way to end the trip. View attachment 1196721We had a great dinner and pulled into port about 6:30 to offload with smiles all around View attachment 1196722View attachment 1196723
This was only my 3rd trip for this year and it was so good to be out there and away from all the craziness. Tight lines everybody !View attachment 1196725View attachment 1196726

View attachment 1196672
You mentioned a vote at that beginning of the trip? What was it? Rocks or I’m assuming big bluefin? Overall great report and looks like fishing for wahoo and others is still hot down there since I left it in june

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
very nice report... mixed bag on the catch too.... nice thanks

junipero01

Boohogger
Aug 8, 2004
San Diego
Name
Alex
Boat
Intrepid
Ray, as usual it was an awesome time fishing with you! How'd you like the pargo?
Can't wait to do it again next year!

streetnfish

Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
Great times again bro !
That Pargo was SO GOOD ! Whole fried one and threw another one on the grill whole. Had a definite "crab" taste to it. Real crab though not like sheephead. Can't wait till next year ! ! !

Reactions: junipero01