bobby7321

Almost A Member
Aug 6, 2008
Visalia, CA
Name
Bobby
Boat
10' jon boat
Me and my dad just returned from a nice 4 day on the Intrepid. He hadn't been out fishing offshore for quite a few years. He used to go on the Q105 a good bit back in the 90s and early 2000s, but not much since. We figured we would jump on this 4 day as sort of a refresher. Working our way back up the longer trips, next one will be an 8 day.

The boat was very nice. I thought the accommodations were top notch. Crew was great, and the food was excellent. Had a fun group of passengers too. Had quite a few father/son teams on there which was cool.

Fishing was good. Weather did play a roll. But that's just the way it goes, and we still got some good fishing in. Got into yellowfin on most of the days most in the 15-20 lb range. We had a real nice wide open bite one morning that lasted a couple hours. First one I've experienced, and it was awesome. We were able to pick up some bluefin as well later on. Not as many as we would've hoped, I think we ended up with 20-25 total, most in the 20-40 lb range. Even while running around trying to get some good footage, I still caught plenty of fish. My dad was on fire most of the trip and brought home a nice pile of fish. Seemed to be hooked up every time I caught a glimpse of him.

Here is a video I put together. Went longer than I had imagined, but wanted to keep a lot of the shots in there for the various passengers on the boat. Its a little hard to get real good footage since you also want to be fishing during the good stuff (that you should be filming). So I sacrificed some quality fishing time to get some shots, but well worth it in the end :) I also took along my Phantom quadcopter to get some aerial footage. I was really looking forward to getting some cool shots but became hesitant to even attempt it because of the winds and the swells. I ended up flying it for a few minutes anyways (a very stressful few minutes). I'm still not sure how I was lucky enough to land it back on the boat. The shot wasn't that great but I left it in there anyways. Also got a pretty cool shot of a hammerhead snatching up one guys fish pretty close to the boat. Let me know what you think. thanks!

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Thanks….great action video…really cool that you got shots of so many fellow passengers…….square plates something new in the galley….you had Chad, Doug and Nick on the trip now that's a treat

Upvote 0

StillinScrubs

Wahoo love me
Aug 30, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale/Miami
Name
Scott
Boat
Charon's skiff
Great video. Thanks for posting. I hope to fish that boat some day when my son is old enough to join me.

To the crew, great gaff shots again and again and again. Real pros.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Thanks for the video.... I really enjoyed it. You were on a great boat with a great crew. Sounds like everyone had a blast.

Upvote 0

Chris Penning

Apr 13, 2011
Laurel, MD
Name
Chris
Boat
Total Ho
Thanks so much for the report, and video. I'm on the 11 Sep trip, so this does nothing but get me more pumped. The wife is already feed up with me, so this is just gonna push her over the edge. Thanks again, and I might just have to borrow a GoPro so I can pay your video forward.

Chris

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
realville; OK it's a 4 day{probably didn't want too have another like that 5 day} but the fish are tiny most under 10lbs I would say, wonderful anglers the guy in the charkbait t-shirt isn't even reeling he's letting the fish swim on the end of the line. shocked the whole boat wasn't wrapped! the rest are pumping those fish like it was a cow, 40lb test and talk is "gawd I hope it's strong enuff" Gaffing? three or four tries ain't good, small fish, right through the best meat, not good. big fish you better get it the first time or you my lose the fish, it see's the gaff, it's running. nice video though I could watch them all day. AND OF COARSE it's just my opinion and I've been wrong before!

Upvote 0

kcarnesmd

Almost A Member
Jul 24, 2007
raleigh, nc
Name
ken
Boat
Regulator 31
Bobby - nice report and video. Lots of happy anglers. Jesus always runs a fun trip. Ignore CMY SIX - he is just a hater.

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
CMS. ote="CMY SIX, post: 3533520, member: 134256"]realville; OK it's a 4 day{probably didn't want too have another like that 5 day} but the fish are tiny most under 10lbs I would say, wonderful anglers the guy in the charkbait t-shirt isn't even reeling he's letting the fish swim on the end of the line. shocked the whole boat wasn't wrapped! the rest are pumping those fish like it was a cow, 40lb test and talk is "gawd I hope it's strong enuff" Gaffing? three or four tries ain't good, small fish, right through the best meat, not good. big fish you better get it the first time or you my lose the fish, it see's the gaff, it's running. nice video though I could watch them all day. AND OF COARSE it's just my opinion and I've been wrong before![/quote

CMA are you happy about anything? Or do you just like setting everyone off? Just want to see something positive out of you

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
Nice quality video and I appreciate the quick walk through of the interior. So much room on that boat i'm kicking myself for not going. Next year.

Upvote 0

bobby7321

Almost A Member
Aug 6, 2008
Visalia, CA
Name
Bobby
Boat
10' jon boat
thanks guys! I'll definitely be going back out on the Intrepid again. probably an 8 day next Sept or Oct.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Bobby, thanks for the report, and the video was great. So cool that you and your dad got to fish together.

And for all of you who are as fed up with all the negativity, try that "Ignore" feature. Works great!

Upvote 0