fishy girl

Somewhere beyond the sea!!!
Mar 7, 2009
Bend, Oregon
Name
nicole
Boat
Yours
I realize this is a little late, but better than never! My 15 day trip ended on November 1, 2015 and then I had to drive all my fish back to Oregon with my boyfriend. We ended up buying a 7.1 cubic foot plug in freezer and plugged it in over night along the way. This preserved the fish perfectly and I arrived home yesterday after many stops to visit friends and share the booty! While I caught about 648 pounds of fish, two of my bigger tuna had health issues so my take home fit perfectly into the freezer.

I should first say that of the 21 passengers, I was the only female and sadly my boyfriend was unable to accompany me. I am not sure why this surprises people that a woman would venture out on such a trip on her own for 15 days (my longest trip), but I have to set the record straight. Fishermen are the best! They are there to fish just like me. At no time do I feel threatened in anyway and in fact, I feel like I walk away with a whole new family of friends. The other thing is that the Intrepid Crew is like having a team of 7 giant brothers on board to protect me. I trust them with my life.

I really love long range sport fishing! My hope was to catch a cow on this trip, but there are never any guarantees of that happening. Guess I will have to go back and try it again... DARN! I am completely ecstatic that I caught a 146lb tuna! That was enough to put some hurt on me. I am what you could call a smaller person at 5'3" and the deck hands really made me do all the work. I think I will always have a fun story to tell of trying to wind one of my fish into the boat completely in High GEAR! What a relief when the deck hand noticed and put me into low... That was at deep color. Needless to say, I need to take breaks for my poor biceps. Thankfully, I sort of fancy myself a photographer and I have a lot of fun taking photos in between my time at the rail. So I would like to share my slideshow with you at the end of this report which won't be long :)

Catchy Tackle was a really warm and mellow group and I feel honored that I got to fish with such a fine group of guys. I learned how to tie the FG knot and the Spangler knot. They are both really strong knots. I actually filmed Chris Minnick demonstrating how to tie the FG knot and I will be posting that onto youtube one day next week. Chris NEVER lost a fish using this knot. Not only that, but he was always using fluorocarbon and he seemed to ALWAYS have a fish on at the rail! Hmmmmmm. Anyway, I just can't say enough about all the fun we had and the guys were really good about letting me take all their money at the poker table! Ha!

The Intrepid Crew... What can I say? They are phenomenal and Captain Kevin Osborn is outstanding and clearly has the respect of his crew. From what I can see, he treats his crew with genuine care and is truly grateful for how incredibly hard they work for him and the guests.

Our trip came in with a huge load of Big Yellowfin and Wahoo. There were 10 fish over 200lbs between 202-250lbs and EVERYONE went home with tons of fish!!

And now... please watch my fun slideshow of what a luxury sportfishing trip should look like!

All my best and remember, do what you love and love what you do!
Nicole

Attachments

• wahoo102115.jpg
    wahoo102115.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Hi Nicole
great pic compilation. you took a ton of awesome pics.

Glad that you enjoyed the trip. There are several women that actually fish LR solo - Donna is a regular on here and is related to Mr Soda. My friend Judy also fishes solo mostly.
It isn't for a lot of women but for the ones that love it- -they become every bit of obsessed by it even more than the men.

Glad that you got "hooked"

Reactions: fishy girl
Upvote 0

fishy girl

Somewhere beyond the sea!!!
Mar 7, 2009
Bend, Oregon
Name
nicole
Boat
Yours
Hi Nicole
great pic compilation. you took a ton of awesome pics.

Glad that you enjoyed the trip. There are several women that actually fish LR solo - Donna is a regular on here and is related to Mr Soda. My friend Judy also fishes solo mostly.
It isn't for a lot of women but for the ones that love it- -they become every bit of obsessed by it even more than the men.

Glad that you got "hooked"
Hooked, Lined, and Sinkered!!!

Upvote 0

dh515

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Congrats on the fish. My Son did the same "high gear" thing on his first long trip. Fish about killed him!

Reactions: fishy girl
    Upvote 0