2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Amy and I did our first Long Range trip last week, Fun! Good friends Steve and Alice joined us, extra fun!

Intrepid met all expectations, clean well maintained boat. Captain Bill did a great job finding fish in windy challenging conditions. Chef Brian and sous chef Louis are Amazing! Food over the top! Deck hands Sam, Ed, Min and Danny were super friendly and helpful.

We departed Saturday Noon, headed straight to the Alijos Rocks, smooth easy long ride. Sardines were large good bait. We trolled for Wahoo Monday around the rocks, 20 medium grade troll fish 35 - 45#, only 1 Wahoo Bomb and 1 Wahoo Bait fish for our entire trip. Monday we had a wide-open fly-line Dorado bite on 12 - 18# fish. My very first Wahoo got Sharked right at the boat - Wah!!! Fortunately I got another Wahoo soon with a happy ending.

Tuesday Captain Bill's plan was to head on down to the Lower Banks and look for a larger grade YFT, but the Independence was already there and reported minimal success so we headed to The Ridge instead. We trolled around the 23 Spot on The Ridge for a couple of Wahoo, then anchored up trying for YFT and YT. Skippies were thick, so we were unable to chum. We caught a few YFT and a good number of YT on Yo-Yo and dropper rig. YT were running 14 - 30#. Bite lasted well into the night, and again early the next morning. Wednesday we tried for Tuna again, anchoring at the 38 spot. We got a few YFT and more YT, but it was difficult to get the right set on the ridge because the winds were strong and going opposite to the prevailing current. Wednesday evening we moved on to The Thetis Banks, which would prove to be a Brilliant move.

Thursday morning the YT bite at the Thetis Banks went Wide Open! For a while you couldn't keep a 'dine on the bottom for a Minute without hooking up. Yo-Yo was hooking up nearly every-other drop. Our little group of Steve, Alice, Amy and Rod (me!) topped off our 15-YT each limits on Thursday. Largest YT for us was Amy's 34.5# fish, that earned her 2nd place on Jack Pot!

Friday we got on a very nice extended YFT bite for fish in the 20 - 30# range. Fly line and small egg/rubber core sinker rigs were getting the job done. Skippies and Dorado were vaccuuming up a lot of good baits, but if you could get your bait out past these you had a great chance of getting a YFT. Twice in a row I hooked up on a slowly retrieved nose-hooked sardine with a small sinker rig. Friday was very fun!

The original plan was to spend our final 2-days chasing BFT. This was not to be. Winds were a challenge for us, but they were abusive up around the Tanner Banks. My friend's 3-Day BFT last week was cancelled altogether. Friday night we started slowly working our way up the coast into the wind. Saturday and Sunday we kept fishing our way north along the coast, catching Sand Bass, Calicos and the occasional YT along the way. Monday we stopped and caught some Rock Fish and under-sized Ling Cod. We had to keep heading north, due to more wind in the forecast. Monday night was quite sporty; not a lot of sleep; actually kind of glad to arrive in port early Tuesday morning.

What worked this trip was really putting the effort in when the fish were biting. The first day at The Rocks was amazing with great troll Wahoo and wide open fly-line bigger Dorado. Our day at Thetis Banks was wide open YT up to 35# chewing everything that hit the bottom. The Friday YFT bite was really strong and fun. The YFT were eating 25# fluoro with size 1 or 2 "J" hooks.

Several lessons learned for me. My belly hook position wasn't quite right when fishing for YFT, which led to my sardines losing speed/energy too soon. When I asked Captain Bill for a quick demo he got me straightened out. The crew wanted to keep reducing my drag down to 16 - 18# for YT Dropper Loop. I lost a couple nice fish due to getting rocked (fishing 100# mono leader). I probably did it wrong, but I had the most success on Dropper Loop fishing about 24 - 25# of drag in high gear on the bottom, winding like crazy when I got bit, then backing off the drag and sliding into low gear once I got the fish off the bottom a ways. On Yo-Yo I fished a very tight drag as well, but on the first couple fish I didn't slow down/back off when the fish was safely away from the bottom. This led to me pulling the hook on my first 2 Yo-Yo fish.

For Dropper Loop they said use our 100# rigs, so Amy used our Viper/Mak 20 combo and I used our Centaur/Mak 16 rig. These rigs worked fine but felt like overkill. I switched over to my Predator/Mak 15T 60# rig and had more fun. For Yo-Yo I fished my GP Terminator/Fathom 40 nld2 with 80# braid/60# fluoro and I Loved It! Light and very powerful. For fly-line Dodo and YFT Amy was using our UC 76HP/Fathom 25 nld2 and I was using a 7'6" Tilefish Jr/Torque 25 nld2. Both rigs worked very well for fly-line.

Intrepid was a complete class act. Brilliant food, great service, very clean well maintained boat. Our trip was a "Variety Trip" and it certainly produced that! Wahoo, YT, YFT, Dorado in good numbers. Cabrilla and Grouper. Loads of other bottom dwellers too many to list. The "Pile Of Fish" picture is only a partial pile - Mario's already took a bunch away. The 4 of us dropped off 1,800 pounds of fish to Mario's Processing - good thing we have lots of friends here in Arizona for fish dinners!
PXL_20211004_173721022.jpg
5442.jpeg
PXL_20211012_011055304.jpg
PXL_20211012_011045590.jpg
PXL_20211005_013239502.jpg
5571.jpeg

5571.jpeg
5446.jpeg
img-20211009-8bab4885.jpeg
img-20211006-ff0bfcdc.jpeg
img-20211006-db4a6bc5.jpeg

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT Report/Info/Pics Rod..and a load
    of NICE FISH for all. Glad you had a
    great trip. Yeah that damn wind kept a
    lot of boats at the Docks Monday, etc.

Upvote 0

Eric Ancog

Almost A Member
  • Mar 3, 2018
    Lakewood
    Name
    Eric Ancog
    Boat
    Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
    Great report! Looks like you guys had an amazing time. Heading out on my first 10 day this Sat on the Shogun. Hoping to share and post similar results!

Tight Lines!

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    Well I'll let you slide because it was your "first" trip report and you did get a couple of pics of dessert(it is food, technically} BUT the next time you better have pictures of the food or I'll have to call BS on it. I love the look on the faces of the guys in the back ground, wondering why they don't have wives that want to go fishing with them.

Reactions: FinHunter619
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Very nice, great report. Thanks for taking us along with your words and pictures

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Amy and I did our first Long Range trip last week, Fun! Good friends Steve and Alice joined us, extra fun!

Intrepid met all expectations, clean well maintained boat. Captain Bill did a great job finding fish in windy challenging conditions. Chef Brian and sous chef Louis are Amazing! Food over the top! Deck hands Sam, Ed, Min and Danny were super friendly and helpful.

We departed Saturday Noon, headed straight to the Alijos Rocks, smooth easy long ride. Sardines were large good bait. We trolled for Wahoo Monday around the rocks, 20 medium grade troll fish 35 - 45#, only 1 Wahoo Bomb and 1 Wahoo Bait fish for our entire trip. Monday we had a wide-open fly-line Dorado bite on 12 - 18# fish. My very first Wahoo got Sharked right at the boat - Wah!!! Fortunately I got another Wahoo soon with a happy ending.

Tuesday Captain Bill's plan was to head on down to the Lower Banks and look for a larger grade YFT, but the Independence was already there and reported minimal success so we headed to The Ridge instead. We trolled around the 23 Spot on The Ridge for a couple of Wahoo, then anchored up trying for YFT and YT. Skippies were thick, so we were unable to chum. We caught a few YFT and a good number of YT on Yo-Yo and dropper rig. YT were running 14 - 30#. Bite lasted well into the night, and again early the next morning. Wednesday we tried for Tuna again, anchoring at the 38 spot. We got a few YFT and more YT, but it was difficult to get the right set on the ridge because the winds were strong and going opposite to the prevailing current. Wednesday evening we moved on to The Thetis Banks, which would prove to be a Brilliant move.

Thursday morning the YT bite at the Thetis Banks went Wide Open! For a while you couldn't keep a 'dine on the bottom for a Minute without hooking up. Yo-Yo was hooking up nearly every-other drop. Our little group of Steve, Alice, Amy and Rod (me!) topped off our 15-YT each limits on Thursday. Largest YT for us was Amy's 34.5# fish, that earned her 2nd place on Jack Pot!

Friday we got on a very nice extended YFT bite for fish in the 20 - 30# range. Fly line and small egg/rubber core sinker rigs were getting the job done. Skippies and Dorado were vaccuuming up a lot of good baits, but if you could get your bait out past these you had a great chance of getting a YFT. Twice in a row I hooked up on a slowly retrieved nose-hooked sardine with a small sinker rig. Friday was very fun!

The original plan was to spend our final 2-days chasing BFT. This was not to be. Winds were a challenge for us, but they were abusive up around the Tanner Banks. My friend's 3-Day BFT last week was cancelled altogether. Friday night we started slowly working our way up the coast into the wind. Saturday and Sunday we kept fishing our way north along the coast, catching Sand Bass, Calicos and the occasional YT along the way. Monday we stopped and caught some Rock Fish and under-sized Ling Cod. We had to keep heading north, due to more wind in the forecast. Monday night was quite sporty; not a lot of sleep; actually kind of glad to arrive in port early Tuesday morning.

What worked this trip was really putting the effort in when the fish were biting. The first day at The Rocks was amazing with great troll Wahoo and wide open fly-line bigger Dorado. Our day at Thetis Banks was wide open YT up to 35# chewing everything that hit the bottom. The Friday YFT bite was really strong and fun. The YFT were eating 25# fluoro with size 1 or 2 "J" hooks.

Several lessons learned for me. My belly hook position wasn't quite right when fishing for YFT, which led to my sardines losing speed/energy too soon. When I asked Captain Bill for a quick demo he got me straightened out. The crew wanted to keep reducing my drag down to 16 - 18# for YT Dropper Loop. I lost a couple nice fish due to getting rocked (fishing 100# mono leader). I probably did it wrong, but I had the most success on Dropper Loop fishing about 24 - 25# of drag in high gear on the bottom, winding like crazy when I got bit, then backing off the drag and sliding into low gear once I got the fish off the bottom a ways. On Yo-Yo I fished a very tight drag as well, but on the first couple fish I didn't slow down/back off when the fish was safely away from the bottom. This led to me pulling the hook on my first 2 Yo-Yo fish.

For Dropper Loop they said use our 100# rigs, so Amy used our Viper/Mak 20 combo and I used our Centaur/Mak 16 rig. These rigs worked fine but felt like overkill. I switched over to my Predator/Mak 15T 60# rig and had more fun. For Yo-Yo I fished my GP Terminator/Fathom 40 nld2 with 80# braid/60# fluoro and I Loved It! Light and very powerful. For fly-line Dodo and YFT Amy was using our UC 76HP/Fathom 25 nld2 and I was using a 7'6" Tilefish Jr/Torque 25 nld2. Both rigs worked very well for fly-line.

Intrepid was a complete class act. Brilliant food, great service, very clean well maintained boat. Our trip was a "Variety Trip" and it certainly produced that! Wahoo, YT, YFT, Dorado in good numbers. Cabrilla and Grouper. Loads of other bottom dwellers too many to list. The "Pile Of Fish" picture is only a partial pile - Mario's already took a bunch away. The 4 of us dropped off 1,800 pounds of fish to Mario's Processing - good thing we have lots of friends here in Arizona for fish dinners!View attachment 1326351View attachment 1326352View attachment 1326353View attachment 1326354View attachment 1326355View attachment 1326356

View attachment 1326357View attachment 1326358View attachment 1326365View attachment 1326366View attachment 1326367
    Great trip, Woody's a animal! Me likey!

Upvote 0