bluewaterbum

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Other than a private charter, since when does a Captain on any of these boats poll the passengers to decide where to go and what to fish for? Has never happened on any boat I've been on including the Royal Star, Indy, and Vagabond, to name a few. Sounds like they had a pretty great trip to me but haters gotta hate and try and piss on the parade...just curious, how many times did you guys eat pork on the trip? Some of you Monday morning QB's are much more obvious than you think!

Not a question of haters, but people asking questions on the decision making of the skipper and the sponsor of the trip.

As for being a Monday morning QB, it's fun.

The skipper gives a game plan for the trip, that is if he tells everyone what the plans are, but a good skipper changes his plans on the fly.

Don't care if how many time s they ate pork, since that was before the new chefs.

Upvote 0

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Just read a summary of fishing on another boat on one of the 10 days, they caught school size tuna along with bigger tuna. They also caught wahoo, grouper, yellowtail. Therefore, just going for Wahoo at the start of the trip is a dad decision by both the skipper and the sponsor.

I also believe that a long term sponsor has more say on where to fish then someone that only has sponsored a trip or two. The boat needs to keep them happy. Just look at what happened eight he boat losing a couple of long term sponsors in the last year or so.

Yes, they have new sponsored trips in some cases but that doesn't mean they'll be long term or just for a year or so. It doesn't matter to me if its a sponsored trip or not, I'm there to catch fish.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
long range is what it is million reasons to fish one area or not without knowing I will not guess the why of it, cherish the time you had some may not get to fish long range be it health or! look at the positive you meet great people learned new technics and you eat really good food and most will sign up to go again its a fun addiction
and you all came home safe.

Upvote 0

dh515

• Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Not a question of haters, but people asking questions on the decision making of the skipper and the sponsor of the trip.

As for being a Monday morning QB, it's fun.

The skipper gives a game plan for the trip, that is if he tells everyone what the plans are, but a good skipper changes his plans on the fly.

Don't care if how many time s they ate pork, since that was before the new chefs.

"Not a question of haters, but people asking questions on the decision making of the skipper and the sponsor of the trip."
    Not a question of haters? You weren't on this trip and the people that were seem happy with the results. From other posts, you've been on the Intrepid once and have moved on to another boat or boats. Yet every time an Intrepid thread comes up, you feel it necessary to bash the boat and skipper, based on your one trip. Funny how when another boat that you've been on lost a generator and cancelled a trip this season we got crickets from you on that. Same deal with another popular boat this season with mechanical difficulties. Maybe hater IS too strong. Perhaps clown with an agenda is more accurate.

"As for being a Monday morning QB, it's fun." So is being an asshole sometimes; doesn't make it right when you are potentially impacting the livelihood of not only a business but many individuals based on speculation and bullshit.

"The skipper gives a game plan for the trip, that is if he tells everyone what the plans are, but a good skipper changes his plans on the fly."
    One of the guys actually on this trip said they agreed to target wahoo. So why wouldn't rolling straight to Alijos be a good option? Apparently the spot seemed good enough for the AA as they were there too. Probably just another poor decision by yet another Captain and I'm sure you know better. So from there, they went to the ridge. Instead of turning right and going lower banks, Jesus decided to turn left and fish his way back up, catching a variety of nice fish, but yes, no cows. You ever been to the lower banks? While it can be good there, it more typically is a pick bite for the big fish. The kind of bite where everyone might stand at the rail from sun up to sundown and only two or three guys get a bite on the big fish. Since an early November 10 day is a usually a variety trip, is that type of fishing something everyone on board would want? Or would a better bite that everyone would be a part of, even on smaller stuff be a better option?

"Don't care if how many time s they ate pork, since that was before the new chefs."
    Glad you understood the reference since that thread was more of the same bullshit. Also, thanks for your advice regarding the Maxel Hybrid. A reel, by your own admission you were not even aware was a star drag before offering your opinion. Yeah, I think I'll file that advice in the same location as the one you have about the Intrepid. BTW, did you ever manage to figure out the Mexican Regs for multi-day trips?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

The Great PF

Almost A Member
    Apr 24, 2012
    Carrollton/TX/USA
    Name
    Roy Todd
    Boat
    None
    Conversations above are getting far too serious, so I thought I'd bring it back down to earth......

The absolute biggest surprise that I experienced on the trip, and I'm absolutely 100% sure this is the reason that we didn't bring any 1,000 lb yellowfins back, was the fact that there were actually bananas on the boat!!!!????!!! I had warned my friend, Ken, to not have anything with him that was even remotely related to bananas, even no Fruit of the Loom underwear, because serious fishermen would throw him over board. Wow. Was I in for a shock when I saw bananas on the fruit bar almost every day! I even took a photo of the yellow, I thought forbidden, fruit.

There you have it, THAT'S why we didn't come back with world record after world record of yellowfin on this trip. Bananas! This is my version of the story, and I'm sticking with it.

Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
    Apr 27, 2003
    US/Mexico
    Name
    Choate
    Boat
    Islander
    Conversations above are getting far too serious, so I thought I'd bring it back down to earth......

The absolute biggest surprise that I experienced on the trip, and I'm absolutely 100% sure this is the reason that we didn't bring any 1,000 lb yellowfins back, was the fact that there were actually bananas on the boat!!!!????!!! I had warned my friend, Ken, to not have anything with him that was even remotely related to bananas, even no Fruit of the Loom underwear, because serious fishermen would throw him over board. Wow. Was I in for a shock when I saw bananas on the fruit bar almost every day! I even took a photo of the yellow, I thought forbidden, fruit.

There you have it, THAT'S why we didn't come back with world record after world record of yellowfin on this trip. Bananas! This is my version of the story, and I'm sticking with it.

Gotta be the silliest superstition ever, had nothing to do with fishing, it was about the spiders many, many years ago before we ever thought about long range or modern day angling.
    Every long range trip I've been on left with bananas, and I think I've caught fish on every voyage.
    It's a great source of potassium, and on good trips you will need it to make sure you don't get cramps.

As far as Chill Pills, looks like at least one previous poster needs his boat to bring chill pills, sheeeeesh!
    Maybe those are the dessert after the seafood buffet :D

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Perhaps the Captain and the Chartermaster got together and decided to have bananas on the boat. :)

Thanks Roy and all the rest for your reports.

Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
    Texas
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    To be determined
    There were bananas on the boat! But I doubt either of those two had a say in it.

Just read Roy's assessment above and this has to be the reason!

Upvote 0