The Great PF

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2012
Carrollton/TX/USA
Name
Roy Todd
Boat
None
All checked in and getting mid morning breakfast of crabcake Benedict at Mitch's cafe.

Looks like a great bunch of guys with one lady. Will post info as we progress along with our voyage.

PF

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
After 3 months on the forum and 100 replies, I think one of you lads should step up to the plate with a report.

Written with the same enthusiasm as was displayed during the pre-trip anticipation phase, it could be epic.

Upvote 0

bluewaterbum

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Might not be much to report, since the boat didn't post fish reports except for a couple of days. Look at the JP fish 37 or 38 pound yellowtail took top honors. Heck, top 3 places were yellowtail.

Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
Texas
Name
Matt
Boat
To be determined
We made a straight run for the rocks to target skinnies despite the bumpy seas. So 2 days straight run on front end of trip. Arrived to find the Angler there and on anchor, getting tossed around quite a bit. We trolled the area pretty thoroughly and managed only a skin or two so we headed to the nearby bank and picked up maybe 20 that we managed to get past the sharks. Anchored ther for the night and caught some nice yt. In the morning gave the rocks another effort but really wasn't promising so headed to the ridge. Chartermaster and captain decided not to try the lower banks so we fished our way up the ridge and various other spots/kelps/dead floating seals along the way to Cedros where we found more yt's, black sea bass, small tuna and a scratch of pargo & sheepshead. Moved on to Benitos and got in to a few wahoo and tuna with more yt's with Mat Ford getting a beautiful 70 pounder on the troll between the islands. Made a couple more stops higher up with you guessed it, more yt's.

The weather was pretty sloppy and the seas weren't friendly but the Intrepid rides like a dream. Capt Jesus really did what he could to get everyone a skinny with "team NoHoo" making long troll rotations on the ride up. I think we had 2 or maybe 3 left "hooless and clueless". If you enjoy catching yellowtails this was definately your trip as it was limit style fishing most of the trip. Really a great group of guys and one gal aboard and we had a lot of laughs. Hope I get to fish with most of y'all again in the near future.

Upvote 0

speyman

Iron Chucker
Aug 12, 2014
Carnation (Seattle)
Name
jack-e
Boat
Intrepid, Ms Magoo
It rocked, we got Tuna, YT, Skinny, BSB, Grouper, Dorado and mostly quality stuff. 2 skinnys close to 70#. Pretty stormy most of the days. Sadly Thetis and 23 Fathom were just hot happening. Awesome food and great service as always. Those pig yellow tails were tough to subdue. Good thing we had Sophia. And a great group of anglers, see yah next year!

Upvote 0

The Great PF

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2012
Carrollton/TX/USA
Name
Roy Todd
Boat
None
I agree with Matthew's report. Although I would have preferred to go further south for big tuna, that was not in the cards. This, however, allowed me to catch a bunch of fish species I had never experienced before, so I had a very good time. Boat and crew were over the top. The reason you didn't see many/any in-trip pics is due primarily to very spotty wifi. (I'm being generous calling it spotty.) I really wish they'd upgrade that capability.

Special call out to Larry Brown; always encouraging and teaching. Much appreciated. Also, Sophia is a very dedicated and focused fishing chick; she out-fished 90% of the guys on the boat, including me.

I quickly learned to hate sea lions on this trip.

Upvote 0

speyman

Iron Chucker
Aug 12, 2014
Carnation (Seattle)
Name
jack-e
Boat
Intrepid, Ms Magoo
Sharks and Sea Lions were both pretty aggressive and annoying.
I do wish we had found a school of skinnies for a few minutes. With the the level of skill we had on board we would put the hurt on them. I am already preparing for next year. I was very pleased with the 175# fluoro on the big irons. Looking at the tooth marks though i will be using 90# titanium on the short irons and bullet bombs. I really like how the small irons and bullets reel back in with no effort. It is a lot of work to reel back 250g raiders for hours on end. I am certain to be using bullet bombs in the future, mine will have mylar wraps instead of krystal flash

Reactions: bluewaterbum
Upvote 0

ygfatboy

Almost A Member
Feb 8, 2007
Bonita Ca
Name
jeff young
Boat
none
We made a straight run for the rocks to target skinnies despite the bumpy seas. So 2 days straight run on front end of trip. Arrived to find the Angler there and on anchor, getting tossed around quite a bit. We trolled the area pretty thoroughly and managed only a skin or two so we headed to the nearby bank and picked up maybe 20 that we managed to get past the sharks. Anchored ther for the night and caught some nice yt. In the morning gave the rocks another effort but really wasn't promising so headed to the ridge. Chartermaster and captain decided not to try the lower banks so we fished our way up the ridge and various other spots/kelps/dead floating seals along the way to Cedros where we found more yt's, black sea bass, small tuna and a scratch of pargo & sheepshead. Moved on to Benitos and got in to a few wahoo and tuna with more yt's with Mat Ford getting a beautiful 70 pounder on the troll between the islands. Made a couple more stops higher up with you guessed it, more yt's.

The weather was pretty sloppy and the seas weren't friendly but the Intrepid rides like a dream. Capt Jesus really did what he could to get everyone a skinny with "team NoHoo" making long troll rotations on the ride up. I think we had 2 or maybe 3 left "hooless and clueless". If you enjoy catching yellowtails this was definately your trip as it was limit style fishing most of the trip. Really a great group of guys and one gal aboard and we had a lot of laughs. Hope I get to fish with most of y'all again in the near future.

Wow you guys didn't want to go down where the big x and Indy were getting all those bigguns?
Wow you guys didn't

want to want to

Upvote 0

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Saw you guys arrive from the bow of the Angler. Whatever you guys were eating for breakfast smelled great.

94f6aecff12db025237a1ca5e30a5622.jpg

Upvote 0

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Did you not read the post you quoted or the other one above?

I read the posts and if what was siaid in it, the skipper didn't come to the whole boat and ask what they wanted to do, go south or north. It was a decision of two instead a decision of 26.

If I'm wrong about this maybe someone else will chime in to set the record straight on the decision not to head where the bigger tuna were being caught. I wasn't on the boat so I'm just going by what was posted. Maybe I could ask what the fish count was for the trip.

Heck, even the AA brought in a super cow and a 286 on a 9 day trip.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Did you not read the post you quoted or the other one above?

On the Lower Banks, you said Charter master and Captain decided not to go there. And then Roy said it wasn't in the cards. What was the reason you guys didn't go further south? I know it can be a scratch and some guys won't get a single bite. Was it shitbox weather or just that most of the group just wasn't into it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dh515

• Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Other than a private charter, since when does a Captain on any of these boats poll the passengers to decide where to go and what to fish for? Has never happened on any boat I've been on including the Royal Star, Indy, and Vagabond, to name a few. Sounds like they had a pretty great trip to me but haters gotta hate and try and piss on the parade...just curious, how many times did you guys eat pork on the trip? Some of you Monday morning QB's are much more obvious than you think!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Yeah, I don't know if that was hiccups or alcohol. On the Lower Banks, you said Charter master and Captain decided not to go there. And then Roy said it wasn't in the cards. What was the reason you guys didn't go further south? I know it can be a scratch and some guys won't get a single bite. Tackle, talent?

Deleted

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
    Texas
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    To be determined
    I'm not going to lie I wanted a shot at cows and when I booked this trip I did it knowing there was an outside shot at some beef moving onto the lower banks at this time. Watching the Indy unload on the 1st just got more hyped. But like I said, the chartermaster and captain made a game plan, the passengers were not polled, and the banks weren't an option. This should put to rest the questions hopefully.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    I read the posts and if what was said in it, the skipper didn't come to the whole boat and ask what they wanted to do, go south or north. It was a decision of two instead a decision of 26.

If I'm wrong about this maybe someone else will chime in to set the record straight on the decision not to head where the bigger tuna were being caught. I wasn't on the boat so I'm just going by what was posted. Maybe I could ask what the fish count was for the trip.

Heck, even the AA brought in a super cow and a 286 on a 9 day trip.

I like it. But, although the AA would like to have claimed title to those two big fish, I was Vagabond that got them.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/vagabond-10-31-11-9-mike-pulls-it-out-at-the-end.610480/

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

speyman

Iron Chucker
    Aug 12, 2014
    Carnation (Seattle)
    Name
    jack-e
    Boat
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    as i recall we agreed that skinnies were our #1 priority. I was jacked when we went to Thetis as i figured we could score the big tunas there but it was not in the cards, this time. We got on the hurt on the skinnies though. I would never EXPECT to get cows on a 10 day, just a possible bonus some years

Reactions: Fishybuzz and dh515
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Wow you guys didn't want to go down where the big x and Indy were getting all those bigguns?
    Wow you guys didn't

want to want to

Yeah, I don't know if that was hiccups or alcohol.? ;) Normally, (whatever that is around here) quoting somebody just once is adequate.

Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
    irvine
    Name
    mikegooing
    Boat
    none
    i like to call the chrter master or skipper and ask them what type of trip they are planning before i sign up in advance. if it is going to be a variety trip, i want to be able to plan ahead for it. if we are going to go to mag bay, i want to plan ahead and bring my cow equipment. if i an going wahoo fishing ,i want to bring more than 1 or 2 wahoo rigs. i always make sure that my plans and the plans of the boat are in sync. then i will confirm again 2 or 3 days in advance just in case the conditons have chanage enough to have an influence on the game plan for the trip. then i can adjust my head space and equipment in advance. if i want to go cow fishing, i make sure it is a cow fishing trip before i sign up or get on the boat.

Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
    Texas
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    To be determined
    I agree for the most part spinner, but when the first big fish of the season are checked in the day before your trip you have to plan on the possibility of that changing the game plan. Again I said I mostly agree.

Upvote 0