Interview with the last guy to see Bin Laden Breathing

Discussion in 'Gun Talk' started by Cast Gold, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Cast Gold

Cast Gold hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    Mike's
    Long interview, but good read. Sad to know how poorly we treat our own when they come home.

Link

2. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Fuck squared. No other way to put it if that is true.

3. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Gopher Killer

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    I don't understand why you and the author think we treat these guys poorly?

He could have stayed in the Navy and retired with full medical and a small pension. I assume he has a full GI Bill, he could go to school and learn a trade or become educated where he wouldn't have to carry a gun professionally. He could get any number of government jobs that would allow him to put his military time towards his future pension. I know plenty of private companies that would hire vets, whether a Navy SEAL or Cook.

The guy is young. He chose his profession and he chose to end it. He is the master of his own destiny.

The only shame in all this is that so many others have profitted politically and financially from the raid, but the guys that took the actual risk are forbidden.

4. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Read part of it. Interesting angle.

A team mate on my HS water polo team retired at the Commander level last year and he was in charge of ST4 and ST10 in Norfolk. I remember that early in his SEAL career he was a "door kicker" which is the first guy in. This guy was a fucking pit bull who felt no pain. He did not start because he had stone hands and a stiff slow release on his shot, but he was a dog on defense. When he spelled me, I'd just give him a hat number to take out.

When we scrimmaged during practice, the coach assigned him to me toughen me up as I set the hole position. We'd go at it using our legs to establish postion and elbows and fists to fucking emphasize it. He later told me on a fishing trip that he had never hit anyone harder than he hit me, but I always hit back. I took that as a complement at the time and he hadn't even started his SEAL career.

On that trip we were fishing and camping at Willow Beach on the Colorado River. Bored out of our minds, we decided to play a serious round of smear the queer. The designated queer had 5 minutes lead time to escape, after which it was no holds barred. Picture doing this in a steep rock walled canyon, extremely fit swimmers. I was first and I was able to elude, circle back and commandeer the boat. I promptly paraded up the river honking the horn and cracking a BA at my pursuers who promptly greeted my victory parade with a hail of rocks.

I've got to say that I always felt safe knowing that Chuck was serving us in his role as a SEAL. I understand that he's enjoying retirement and doing a lot of fly fishing.

5. Cast Gold

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    Mike's

A Navy cook can be forthcoming about his/her military career in a job interview. This hero doesn't have the same degree of latitude. According to the article, he doesn't even qualify for VA benefits.

6. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    What? Come on dude. I'm pushing 19 years this year. If you can't get a job after being an operator, you don't want a job. That, or there are serious mental health issues that need to be addressed.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. middleofnowhere

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    He can disclose his occupation, he just can't discuss classified operations.

8. paulcody

paulcody Looking for that one bite

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Ranger 364V 175 Mercury
    I read this last night, thought it was a great read. While I agree 100% that we don't do enough for these heros when they come back, I did wonder why the guy was screwed. If he had 16 years in of the required 20, I would like to think wacking UBL could get you a nice desk job to ride out.

Raises a lot of questions and I certainly don't have any answers. But ultimately, nice shooting man, and thanks.

9. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    he's a tier 1 personality, there is no way he can't pick up any kind of contracting and or trainer job. we all know you have to put in your 20 years to get your retirement, to get out at 16 because you decide not to suck up another 4 years is horseshit. as far as va coverage for him, he's right about the va being a bag of smashed assholes, maybe he can ask General Shinseki why the va is so fucked. seems like all the other tier 1 guys are doing ok after they got out without doing their 20 years, like dalton fury, matt bisonnette, brandon webb, chris kyle (pre murder,R.I.P.) dale comstock, paul howe, hell i can go on forever......just like smudge's mom!!!!!!!

10. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    16 is not 20

If the rules were changed for one then millions of lawsuits would follow.

11. paulcody

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Ranger 364V 175 Mercury
  12. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    “No one ever told him that this is available,” Bronstein said.
    He said there wasn’t space in the article to explain that the former SEAL’s lack of healthcare was driven by an ignorance of the benefits to which he is entitled.
    “That’s a different story,” Bronstein said in a phone interview with Stars and Stripes about what he omitted from the article.
    The Center for Investigating Reporting posted a story on its website today that goes into greater detail about the SEAL's interactions with the VA, including that he has a disability claim that is stuck in the backlog.
    Esquire magazine has not yet responded to a request for comment.

ignorance by a tier 1 guy, to sell a "whoa is me story" to some dumbshit reporter. it would be even funnier if this interview turns out to not only not be the shooter but also not even a navy seal.

13. Cast Gold

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    Mike's
    All good points. The thing that gets me the most is the No Medical, not even for the work related injuries. When I did my internships through the VA, I treated some patients that were happy, while others were far from it and needed more attention than they were allotted, physically and psychologically. Not just Tier 1/SOF.

14. middleofnowhere

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    That would be funny!

15. middleofnowhere

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    Good on you for your work with the VA.

Fortunately I do not qualify for VA benefits because I do not meet the financial threshold.

Another thing that bothers me (maybe just jealousy?), there are plenty of guys who have sacrificed much while serving who are not "tier 1". Their sacrifice is no less. Why should we feel obligated to give this guy special treatment for doing his job? He drew the lottery ticket in that he was the guy in the position to pull the trigger through fate or whatever, what an honor. If given the choice to have a chance to be that guy, I would like to think I would have given all my wealth and life if necessary.

16. paulcody

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Ranger 364V 175 Mercury
    Had the exact same thought. I hope that's not the case though.

17. paulcody

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Ranger 364V 175 Mercury
    Bronstein was married to Sharon Stone....maybe he suffers from some sort of post-marriage stress disorder???

18. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    There's a good op ed at sofrep by an old school udt/seal. It seems the command bent over backwards to keep this guy in the navy basically letting him write his own check for any job he wanted. Seems he though he'd get out and follow a plan that he ultimately failed at. i fucking new this story didn't pass the common sense test.

19. paulcody

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Ranger 364V 175 Mercury
    Good find, link - http://sofrep.com/17340/ubl-shooter-should-maintain-some-professional-dignity/

20. Cast Gold

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    Mike's
    Both articles touch upon a business venture that didn't work out, but could have been a reasonable alternative to retirement benefits. Guess he saw dollar signs that didn't materialize.

Sounds like he could have had a working environment similar to a high school senior for 36 months till retirement. Another question: Once he retires, he is out for good? No Brett Favre style BS?