Interpid September 8-16

captain94704

Aug 19, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Jack
Boat
none
I got back from an 8 day trip with "Dougie" our charter master on the interpid. It is my second year on this trip and it is an excellent fun group to fish with. I spend the trip fishing instead of taking notes about the trip so I will try and remember the highlights.

1632106426952.jpeg

Leading up to this trip I had been watching the reports and the last 8 day on the intrepid had an excellent trip down on the ridge. I was strongly hoping to repeat this on our trip. Unfortunately it was not meant to be initially. There was a hurricane down in Baja and Captain Sammy made the correct choice to head west instead of south. We were all well aware that the blue fin fishing had dramatically slowed down but it was better than tempting faith with a hurricaine. Day 1 we got some excellent bait and then went west for 12 hours. That night no one hooked up on the jigs. The next day it was the usual bluefin massive schools of bluefin that didn't want to bite a hook or stick with the boat. It became an ongoing joke on the boat when Captain Sammy would announce this is a massive bluefin school but nothing would happen. We kept at it and ended the day with about 18 bluefin.

1632106799009.jpeg

At night we tried the jigs again and someone hooked up right next to me with the same jig (500g mustad knife jig) and we ended the night with 2 100# bluefin. This was enough for Captain Sammy and the hurricane was beginning to weaken so we were off to the Ridge, ETA about 40 hours.

The next day we stopped allow the beach for some YT. We had some pretty good fishing they mainly wanted the yo-yo with the occasional fly line fish caught.

1632107023099.jpeg

Time to continue on to the ridge.

1632107065078.jpeg

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report/info/pics and NICE FISH.
    Glad you made it to the ridge after all.
    Bluefin will always drive us all nuts. LOL

Upvote 0

captain94704

Aug 19, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jack
    Boat
    none
    Once we arrive on the ridge there was lots of life everywhere. We stopped initially and had to weed our way through the skipjacks to find a yellowfin.

1632107197651.jpeg

Eventually we made a move and were able to get onto schools of just yellowfin. For the next two days we had solid yellowfin fishing. I was able to catch them on fly lined bates, colt snipers, "YT" surface iron and poppers. They were excellent grade "schoolie" fish all about 20-30#.

1632107480810.jpeg

1632107497809.jpeg

After we filled the boat we had a little time remaining and we went looking for the wahoo. We caught some on the troll and a few bomb fish were landed.

1632107447920.jpeg

Then it was time to work our way home, but not before we stopped for some more yellowtail and some wide open calico bass fishing. The yellowtail seemed to be in the mid water column and we eating the yo yo really well. We also got some nice ones on the dropper loop.

1632107677274.jpeg

1632107702595.jpeg

1632107727170.jpeg

The calico was one of the biggest I and many on the boat had seen, the picture doesn't due it justice but it was felt to be a solid 6-8#, I hooked it on my heavy dropper loop rig and it fought like a mid-sized yellowtail. It was safely released without being touched or hitting the deck.

Overall it was an excellent trip with a great captain and crew. Charter master Dougie was a great and he has put together a solid group to fish with. I am already booked for next year.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Wow Nice! Heading out on Intrepid with Amy October 2 - 12 reports like yours fuel the Can't Wait!!!

Upvote 0

captain94704

Aug 19, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jack
    Boat
    none
    Every trip there is always going to be at least one interesting thing that happens. So I was casting a mint green JRI 4 surface irons for the yellowfin and I hooked 3 on three casts. I had never done this before. I was using a 8'6" Phenix black diamond rod with a tranx reel. It was performing awesome, I love that setup. So mid fight on the third tuna the following happened.

I have never seen this before. I brought it to the shop that I bought the rod at a few years ago. The shop is solid and Phenix makes great rods so I am sure we will figure something out to fix the rod.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    That's an odd place for a rod to break. Phenix has good warranty unfortunately that looks like a custom rod. Hopefully the builder will rewrap it reasonably.

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 7, 2008
    NorCal
    Name
    jay
    Boat
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
    I was looking for the tip to break, the blank probably doesn't extend to the butt on that stick. That's the thickest strongest part of the rod.....Great report and pictures.

Upvote 0

captain94704

Aug 19, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jack
    Boat
    none
    It’s a totally stock Phenix rod, the only addition was some blue thread on the blank so I could find it. It’s a strange place to break, my understanding is the rod blank is one piece and it goes through the reel seat.

The red jig was standard size JRI yo-yo. It’s made of brass so it drops like a rock, I have no idea if the color maters but the jig worked great.

Reactions: Spear or rod
    Upvote 0

Latest posts