Internet on LR Boat?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by harddrive, Apr 3, 2015.

1. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Live Long and Prosper, this stupid thread

2. satmodo

satmodo Sat Phone Rentals & Sales Made Easy

Name:
    Mike Mikha
    Boat:
    none
    The best solutions for everyone needing a sat phone is to rent one for the trip. We have phones for Pick up in San Diego. 1 week with 60 minutes is like $125 for picked up phones. So if you want one you can get it from satmodo.com or call us 1-800-279-2366 (dont forget to mention BD). If you want to stay disconnected and don't want people calling you then you don't have to worry about it. Solutions for everyone here. If I can answer any questions please let me know.

By the way the Yellows are still biting out there.

3. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    There is a monopoly on the sat wifi. When it first came out the bandwidth sold to the boats was easier to achieve from the company. Now the bandwidth is getting crowded. They are now selling a higher price service, more bandwidth, that the boats are not happy buying.

An alternate idea is to have one boat computer that everyone can access...

Workplacesafety and Tim Turis like this.
  4. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    On my last trip the Rooster was toying with only allowing laptops access to the Internet....only giving the pw's out for critical reasons.... I never tried as I didn't consider posting on BD critical...I make my living off understanding mobile applications and how they work. By the end of the trip enough people had an emergency .... Mostly FB update emergencies....and no one could get through...or there was a huge delay. The thing is one phone can have 20 apps all pinging the network in the background ....doesn't take long till all the bandwidth is gone. I think the immediate future is LAN...replacing wifi. Have 3 wires you have to plug into to access. 3 people at a time can email, FB etc.... The boats all have this ability they just need to implement it. 3 people with real Internet access is way better than 30 with almost none. And asking people to turn off their phones when not using them.... Will never work.​

vegasandre, Brad I, Tim Turis and 2 others like this.
  5. SlideRight

SlideRight Just Fishin'

Name:
    Lew
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    An unfortunate condition Dave, but as inferred, seems increasingly consistent in relation to the dominate passenger attitude/assemblage on a LR boat. 'Dominate' being maybe 1/2 dozen individuals ability to alter the experience.

Technically understanding your solution is beyond my ancient & sotted grey cells, but I sure like the fact that you offer one. :cheers:

To think that all it would take is a bit of unselfish cooperation is instructive.
    There there's the deck chairs........ ;)

Fishybuzz likes this.
  6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    To think that all it would take is a bit of unselfish cooperation is instructive.
    There there's the deck chairs........ ;)[/QUOTE]

last trip we found a solution to the deck chairs……

SlideRight likes this.
  7. SlideRight

SlideRight Just Fishin'

Name:
    Lew
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    last trip we found a solution to the deck chairs…
    :appl::worship::rofl:

8. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    I recently was on the RP. I was hoping to text the wife and kids a few times. Over 8 days I probably got 2 or 3 texts out. But, I'd guess it was unavailable 90% of the time. I do enjoy the disconnect from civilization with LR fishing but I don't think that was the point of the thread(?) It was whether or not wifi is usable on the boats. Verdict is "not really". No big deal, really. But, we did get Cinemax and (I think) HBO on the tv and that provided a few unexpected embarrassing scenes in the galley (a few females on board). One scene was John Voigt just pounding away on a young lady. LOL... That's all I need to see after a week a sea.