BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I was looking at the trending feature next to the rankings on a sports website and saw an odd pattern.

So I began writing numbers.

When teams from the ACC, Big 10 or Big 12 lost a game while ranked, they dropped an average of 5-6 positions.

When teams from the PAC 12 were ranked and lost, they fell an average of 8 positions.

When SEC teams lost, they fell an average of around 2.5 positions.

Four PAC 12 teams dropped 9+ spots after a loss, including Utah.

Only two other teams all season have dropped 9+ spots in the polls. Michigan after Wisc and Texas after TCU.

I didn’t count teams that were ranked 20th or below. This isn’t scientific, but found it interesting.

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Is it similar to the sport writer bias for east coast due purely to there being more writers? Polling have similar geography?

KnotyBuoyz

Not so newbie anymore
Jul 22, 2008
SD County
Name
Randall
Boat
27x10
It only takes about 12 seconds for a human body to reach terminal velocity. The PAC has been falling for years now. Not surprised by some of those falls and they seem appropriate. No bias here, time to move on:D

KnotyBuoyz

Not so newbie anymore
Jul 22, 2008
SD County
Name
Randall
Boat
27x10
That perceived bias was nothing more than that. Three undefeated conference champions and a one loss conference champion are all more deserving than a two loss pac champion.

Another thread the mods should close, as there is nothing left to discuss.;)