Billy L

USCG licensed Captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
I haven’t bottom fished for a few years now. Its been Alaska or tuna in San Diego and lobster. I have friends coming later this month to wanna go fishing. They’re green horns so don’t want to take them offshore. Any intel would be appreciated. Here or Thru PM.
I see both Seaforth and Point Loma half days doing OK on rock fish.
Anyone getting yellowtail in La Jolla trolling?
By the way, if you come to Homer, AK, I’ll take you halibut fishing. See my avatar.
Thanks

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
If you saw the size of those rockfish Seaforth is catching you'd fish elsewhere.I went Thursday on the New Seaforth and watched the pathetic practice of catching hundreds of sub 6" fish.Most of them went in a sack,a lot of them were released floaters,i counted at least 50.I fished less than an hour and stopped.For a fun time fish S.D. bay on a good tide.

fishja

I've seen bigger waves in the toilet!
Jun 21, 2015
Carlsbad
Name
fishja
Boat
Sold
Some better quality fish can be found in your own boat. The half day boats are catching pretty small fish... like mentioned above they are pathetic.

If this is your only option I would opt for the dolphin out of San Diego bay- they have been on a little better quality and Captain Cody is killer.

plenty of opportunity to hop on a full day boat and fish the Coronado islands for much better quality rock fish.

Billy L

USCG licensed Captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
If you saw the size of those rockfish Seaforth is catching you'd fish elsewhere.I went Thursday on the New Seaforth and watched the pathetic practice of catching hundreds of sub 6" fish.Most of them went in a sack,a lot of them were released floaters,i counted at least 50.I fished less than an hour and stopped.For a fun time fish S.D. bay on a good tide.
Ouch! Thanks

Billy L

USCG licensed Captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
Some better quality fish can be found in your own boat. The half day boats are catching pretty small fish... like mentioned above they are pathetic.

If this is your only option I would opt for the dolphin out of San Diego bay- they have been on a little better quality and Captain Cody is killer.

plenty of opportunity to hop on a full day boat and fish the Coronado islands for much better quality rock fish.
So work the ponies by the nine? Don’t want to do rock fish 400’

Last edited:

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
Just go up to La Jolla and look for all the Lobster trap! They just marked all the rocks for you! Get some squid and try different spots! Make sure you mark them because after lobster season they will not be there! You can thank me later!

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy L

Billy L

USCG licensed Captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
Just go up to La Jolla and look for all the Lobster trap! They just marked all the rocks for you! Get some squid and try different spots! Make sure you mark them because after lobster season and they will not be there! You can thank me later!
I guess you do anchor up? Thanks

Last edited:

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
It's even worse when the boat post pictures of the their catch. A 10 fish limit might weight 8 lbs. It's pretty Pathetic!!!!

Reactions: plj46

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
I don't think a 10 fish limit weighed 2 lbs.

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
Make sure you have a dedicated rod and reel with a release system so you can send the small ones back to the bottom! If you don’t have a release system I have an extra one for you

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I don't think a 10 fish limit weighed 2 Clean your reading glasses, They must be dirty!
Make sure you have a dedicated rod and reel with a release system so you can send the small ones back to the bottom! If you don’t have a release system I have an extra one for you
I heard Fish and game is going to require that on all boats fishing cod within the next 2 years. It should of been done a long time ago.