I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 23, 2003
Otay Ranch, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Frank
Boat
Century 2300 CC
So after a lot of research I decided to stay with Boat US which is now underwritten by Geico $567 for the year. I have a 45K policy, which covers the boat and anything attached to the boat such as radar, and other electronics. $5k worth of coverage on my trailer. $5k coverage on fishing equipment, rod/reels etc. Coverage down to Punta Banda with no limit how far out. For $100 more per year I can get coverage to all of Mexico.

It is based on my zip codes and what is funny it's a little cheaper to keep in in the water at the marina rather than sitting on my trailer in my driveway. I guess the fact that it won't sink at my house is not a factor......SMH
My Boat US renewal went up too with Geico. The cruising limits do not include Punta Banda Mexico like it used to. Now I need to find someone that does cover into Mexico. What insurance companies out there do cover down to Mexico?

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
Looks like Boat US is using Geico for underwriting.

They are, and it worked in my favor. I was paying $3100 a year. When Geico took over, they cut it to just over $1500. I called to make sure it was correct. Same exact coverage. I have never had a claim either.

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
My new policy with Boat Us changing to Geico has dropped by 30 percent with the same coverage. Going to make a few calls to make sure all is right with the new company.

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
Just verified and they did take out the coverage to Punta Banda even though I was told by 2 different people it would remain for Boat US customers.

Just called them and complained because I spent like 2 hours on the phone with them when I went to renew.

They see all the notes of my conversation in the computer. Gave them a choice of either honor what I was told or I would find insurance else where.

Waiting for their call back.

Reactions: bman440440

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
cancelling everything with Boat US and going with Sea Tow and Sea Insure insurance . my policy was only $20 more, but at least now I feel like I am dealing with knowledgeable people.

They cover all the way to Rio Santo Tomas, Baja , Mexico.

call or email [email protected]

they use AIG as an underwriter.

starbright55

Dec 4, 2011
San Diego
Name
TH
Boat
17' Avon Searider
I skipped Boat US because they wouldn't offer an agreed value policy. Just because the boat is older doesn't mean it's worthless!

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
I skipped Boat US because they wouldn't offer an agreed value policy. Just because the boat is older doesn't mean it's worthless!

I had agreed value, that was not an issue. Problem is the agents for the Boat US insurance don't really know what they are talking about.

I don't understand why some are saving 50% off of what they paid last year and mine goes up.

They even want to charge more if it sits at my house on a trailer rather than sitting in the water at the marina because it's based on zip code.

fatty23

Feb 11, 2008
la
Name
john
Boat
nari
I go thru aaa got 100k coverage on the boat 300k liability full coverage with7k for electronics for 504 ...

Shaka760

Apr 16, 2007
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Craig Taylor
Boat
2007 Nitro 482
Just be glad you don't run a sportfishing operation. Everybody's rates went way up this year due to the loss record. Hopefully this year will see fewer mishaps, and we can get rates back on track.

AlbieNut

Jul 23, 2003
Otay Ranch, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Frank
Boat
Century 2300 CC
cancelling everything with Boat US and going with Sea Tow and Sea Insure insurance . my policy was only $20 more, but at least now I feel like I am dealing with knowledgeable people.

They cover all the way to Rio Santo Tomas, Baja , Mexico.

call or email [email protected]

they use AIG as an underwriter.
Papa J, I guess Boat US did not give you the Mex coverage after calling back. Correct? I was going to call them about that same poblem. I guess I will have to go with Sea Tow Insurance instead as you did.

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Boats under a certain size can be insured by AAA. I believe it is under 30 ft. I pay $74 a year for my way overpowered whaler with yamaha f350...
I used AAA on my Whaler and now the little boat. Bundled it is very inexpensive.

Never needed a boat claim, but dealt with them on homeowners slab leak issues, zero headaches, treated us like customers, not problems.

AlbieNut

Jul 23, 2003
Otay Ranch, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Frank
Boat
Century 2300 CC
I used AAA on my Whaler and now the little boat. Bundled it is very inexpensive.

Never needed a boat claim, but dealt with them on homeowners slab leak issues, zero headaches, treated us like customers, not problems.
Thanks for the info. Does AAA includes coverage down into Mexico and if so how far down? Also, how far out offshore?

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Thanks for the info. Does AAA includes coverage down into Mexico and if so how far down? Also, how far out offshore?
Not sure, I am guessing you can add it, not sure if in the plan or not or mileage.

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
So after a lot more research Sea Insure is the way to go, not only do they cover the regular stuff but they cover mechanical breakdowns as well.

Confirmed with a friend of mine (who has Sea Insure) that while out he blew a rod through the block of one of his outboards. He proved that maintanence was done and they got it fix/replace though his insurance.

Chris was awesome to deal with and extremely knowledgeable, below is what I was emailed:

A staff that knows boats – Is your current company going to send an automobile adjuster to handle your boat claim? We bring years of marine experience to every claim we handle to assure that you are back on the water quickly and without any hassle.

Mechanical Breakdown – No exclusions for mechanical breakdown for losses to your boat or machinery due to an internal mechanical breakdown. Excluded under most policies, don’t get left with potentially huge out of pocket expenses!

You have selected a quotation on an Agreed Value Policy. Agreed Value Policies depreciate some physical damage losses. For a discounted premium we may be able to offer an Actual Cash Value policy which depreciates all physical damage losses.

Questions? Give us a call - marine insurance is our specialty.I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,

Chris McKinnon
Manager

[email protected]
p: 860.399.3673 f: 860.399.2893

Sea Insure Agency
P.O. Box 727

Westbrook, CT 06498
www.seainsure.com

Reactions: Blackfish

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Does that coverage include charters or running under a 100 ton license v. Recreational user? Any difference in coverage or costs?

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
Does that coverage include charters or running under a 100 ton license v. Recreational user? Any difference in coverage or costs?
Probably not since Im not running charters right now.

I know I got a discount for my 100 ton, where Boat US though Geico didn't even care.

Im not an insurance broker I would call Chris and talk to him.

AlbieNut

Jul 23, 2003
Otay Ranch, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Frank
Boat
Century 2300 CC
Called Boat US today and they do cover down to Mexico. It is an additional $49 for my case. They are sending me a new policy renewal with it listed. Its is a total of 23% increase from what is was before. Will continue shop around.

gearshifter

Jul 18, 2008
San Diego
Name
Andy
Boat
None
Just got off the phone with boat us rate went up like 100 % from 400 to 800 They said taxes went up... that's why it's way up there time to call Chris at sea insure.

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic
They jerked me around for 2 weeks before I gave up and stayed with my old policy. It seemed cheaper initially, but I swear I could not get 2 people to quote me the same numbers even after I had the quote in front of me. Mexico is apparantly beyond the comprehension of these agents. Try and tell them you only fish the Coronados, never further South than Ensenada............Punta Tomas to be exact. They would give me the amendment over the phone, never in writing. Only Mexico if you buy into mainland Mexico and Cabo, etc. An extra $100. Thumbs down for BoatUS Insurance.

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Well fella's I just got hit. It was actually all pretty interesting how it came about. I received an Email claiming my payment was declined. In the body of the Email was what appeared to be an invoice with a $0.00 dollar amount. I thought this was strange since I do not need to renew until May. In the Email there was a toll free 844 number. I Googled it and it had no affiliation to Boat U.S. or Geico, it looked like it was used for some random scams so I never called it.

Instead I logged into my account to see what was going on. Nothing had changed but I saw I could pay my yearly premium. It "showed" $244 and I thought sweet, it went down from last year which was $375. So I look at the policy which is the same but down at the bottom it said yearly premium was $808. I thought, hell that is a huge discount for paying it in full like I have every year. This is for an agreed value amount of $16k plus all their other add ons and $2k for the trailer.

So I call their call center to find out what is going on and was going to pay the $244 to get it out of the way. After talking to the lady it was determined that my total premium was in fact $808.00 and the $244 was for installments. Mind you it said nothing about installments on the front page that I saw. (such as 4 easy payments of $244 etc) and I have always paid in full every year.

I lost my effing mind. This 115% increase had to be a mistake. I can assure you I let them know how I felt. (I later apologized to poor lady and said I knew she had nothing to do with it and was just reading what the computer was spitting out, she told me I certainly was not the first and wont be the last.) I was and still am pissed.

I explained to them that I have never once had a claim, I am 3rd issue 100-ton license holder and worked in the sportfishing industry for over 20 years and never once had a claim on my personal boats or boats I was running. She said the only thing she could do would be to review my policy and see if she could save me any money. I said go for it but do not change any of my limits.

I knew I was dealing with complete incompetence when after she said I got a discount for having a captains license she asked if I had ever taken a boaters safety course and then waited for my response... All I could do was just laugh.

After it was all said and done she said she could save me $11. I just laughed and told them I would be shopping the quote around and more than likely leaving them, she then asked me if I wanted to pay the premium now. I mean you cannot make this shit up... I literally wanted to ask her if she was happy with her life and explain that this is prime example of why she will probably stay in a call center and never advance in her career.

The thing that really pissed me off the most was not so much the 115% increase (which I still find absurd) but how they seemed to almost hide it by having an installment payment listed as the amount I owed when I have always paid in full. This really rubbed me the wrong way and seemed shady.

She also explained that they have had a lot of losses that they have had to pay out, I then explained that I could give two shits how many losses their company has had to pay because of the major storms back east, this is southern California and there is no way California can have as many claims as Florida, the Carolina's or the Gulf. Isn't this the reason why you ask me where not only do I use the boat, but where the boat is stored? And then asked why the hell would it matter where I live then? What would my premium be if I lived in Florida? 208%?

Anyway that's my rant. Check your statements boys... complete BS, I will be checking on the names above for quotes.

Edit: I have received a quote for substantially similar, though not identical coverage from Sea Insure for $50 more than my current premium. I am going to be checking all the other carriers mentioned above this week.

Edit Again: I went with Sea Insure. Chris was very easy to deal with. I had to sign up for a SeaTow membership which wasn't a big deal since I always want towing service. In the end it was about $50 bucks more than my previous prememium not counting the membership.

Last edited:

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Some memes on how I feel...

Last edited:

Contractor.aten

Jul 10, 2016
Highland, Ca
Name
Tito Saldana
Boat
Defiance 290
Mine going up just over 10% never made a claim. Boat US rep tell me because of others making claims in my area. WTF how is that my problem? Paying for other peoples fuck up's.
Hahahah Dont forget this is California we pay for everybodies shit!!!!!

Reactions: gecsr1