Surhammer

Gaff Master
Jan 26, 2014
Big Sur, Monterey Bay, CA
Name
Surhammer
Boat
'84 Skipjack 24 with Pilothouse, Trident 13
Had a somewhat tough time removing old cable. Pulled it out from inside the transom, with a piece of weed eater line taped to it to use as a pull line for the new cable. When the old cable came out, it got bent pretty bad. Any tips for putting in the new one? Looks like it might be better to push the new one in from outside at the drive side, since the shifter control end of the cable is shorter than the drive end, rather than pushing that longer drive end of cable back out from inside the transom. Any advise?

22CBD121-737E-4D4F-BFC2-4CB1154390D5.jpeg

Reactions: woodfish330

Kahouna

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 18, 2011
Escondido
Name
Matt
Boat
Flatlander
Waiting on a cable myself for the same thing. Mines a duoprop. I even did the weed eater line too. Mine had a little resistance around the transom but a steady pull got it done. I'm thinking of putting a little grease just on the connecting bracket to help. I've read about using dish soap but having a little grease on the inside can't hurt. Going to try feeding from the inside out because I don't want to feed all that cable through the transom.

woodfish330

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
I see that 25 years after selling my SKIPJACK.... that they still suffer from the same problems. Back in the day... we too suffered this problem. I remember using the dish soap and a little "gorilla snot" from the electrical industry to get it done. Lots of swearing.... and a few church visits got it through....lol. Even the priest knew I was fixing the boat. Good luck to you my brothers.

Wait until the steering cable takes a crap. This happened while fishing a tournament in AVALON. Cable bracket broke..... and we did large circles for an hour .... mid channel. My teammates were helpless /useless. With panic in their faces. ... I spent a couple hours "rigging" it with coat hangers and duct tape....getting us back to AVALON. As for the tourney..... we were done.

Spent the next few days there.... In the harbor, tied up to the repair dock before we got the parts and got it fixed. So keep it lubed....that's how the shift cable broke as well......In cable corrosion.

Good luck....be safe out there.

mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
Mar 25, 2006
Pomona, CA
Name
Paco
Boat
1996 Ranger 488VS 1980 24' Skipjack "La Cuarentona"
Does anyone have a part number to change it to hydraulic steering? Thinking of doing this to my boat.

Surhammer

Gaff Master
Jan 26, 2014
Name
Surhammer
Boat
Waiting on a cable myself for the same thing. Mines a duoprop. I even did the weed eater line too. Mine had a little resistance around the transom but a steady pull got it done. I'm thinking of putting a little grease just on the connecting bracket to help. I've read about using dish soap but having a little grease on the inside can't hurt. Going to try feeding from the inside out because I don't want to feed all that cable through the transom.
I have a 290 DP lower on my 280 upper drive. I hear what you’re saying about pushing, then pulling 19’ of cable through that tube. The thing I noticed was that once it got through the fitting where that hose/tube is connected to on the transom mount, it came easy. The other thing I didn’t do was to snip a zip tie that holds that tube up and out of the way, tucked in behind and above my engine. I think if I cut that zip tie the tube won’t have so much of a slight bend at the fitting. And grease is maybe a good idea too. It thought it might get messy though and make things hard to grip and pull..... Still on the fence whether to push IN the short straight end of the cable, from the outside, or push outbound the longer straight section, drive end, back towards the drive..... I’m gonna try and get it in today....wish me luck. I’ll try and post which way I did it later...🤙👍🧜‍♀️

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
Elkton, OR
Name
Larry
Boat
Skipjack 240, Skipjack Sports Cruiser under construction
Does anyone have a part number to change it to hydraulic steering? Thinking of doing this to my boat.
Depends which outdrive you have. Volvo Penta? 280, 290 or dp-c?

skipjack

Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
A very easy way to install a Volvo Penta shift cable.
Find a approximately 1/4” plastic tube 6-8’ long.
You can push this tube into the hole for the shift cable from the outside the boat (into the O/D) easily.
Now get inside the boat and push the threads of the shift cable into the hollow plastic
tube thats now inside the boat,about 1/8”.
Now pull the Plastic tube from outside the boat while someone pushes it and the shift cable from the inside of the boat.
This works very easy,good luck.

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
Elkton, OR
Name
Larry
Boat
Skipjack 240, Skipjack Sports Cruiser under construction
That is a new one on me. But I think Scott at uflex could help. I have his number if your interested in exploring more

Reactions: Surhammer

Surhammer

Gaff Master
Jan 26, 2014
Name
Surhammer
Boat
A very easy way to install a Volvo Penta shift cable.
Find a approximately 1/4” plastic tube 6-8’ long.
You can push this tube into the hole for the shift cable from the outside the boat (into the O/D) easily.
Now get inside the boat and push the threads of the shift cable into the hollow plastic
tube thats now inside the boat,about 1/8”.
Now pull the Plastic tube from outside the boat while someone pushes it and the shift cable from the inside of the boat.
This works very easy,good luck.
Boy, that sounds like a very good way to do it! I ended up getting it in without much difficulty at all though. I like your idea though! That totally makes sense!
When I pulled out my old frozen up cable, it was extended out, so when I pulled it through the hose/tube without cutting loose the zip ties (Which I wish I’d done) that were holding the hose, up and tucked in place, it bent the old cable. By cutting loose the zip ties and gently pushing the new cable through to the outside from inside the boat, with a little bit of back and forth, it found its way on one of the pushes and basically went right through.
With using pictures I had taken, of the Cotter pin clevises and the thread positioning on the old cable, before taking it apart, and making the new one look the same, it seems to shift just right! I’ll fire it up in a day or two and see how it shifts into drive, neutral and reverse, but I think I got it! Thanks for the good advise!
By the way, my drive is an Aquamatic 280 upper, with a 290, Duo Prop lower. I love it! I’ve been running it for about 4 or 5 years I think, and besides better fuel economy, smoother acceleration, I like that I have better control at low speeds, especially when docking, or retrieving crab pots. I found a really nice, fresh water, used one on eBay that was in excellent shape, for $1200.00.

Surhammer

Gaff Master
Jan 26, 2014
Name
Surhammer
Boat
That is a new one on me. But I think Scott at uflex could help. I have his number if your interested in exploring more
Got it done without much trouble at all! My drive is a Volvo penta aquamatic 280 upper, with a 290 duoprop lower. I love it! Thanks for your help though! Cheers!
John

Kahouna

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 18, 2011
Escondido
Name
Matt
Boat
Flatlander
Glad it went in!

What type of cable did you go with? I ended up ordering the Seastar 33C red jacket. It was the only one that sounded like it was a little more durable. Price differences were minimal and I figured it couldn't hurt to have one that claims to hold up a little more.

Surhammer

Gaff Master
Jan 26, 2014
Name
Surhammer
Boat
Glad it went in!

What type of cable did you go with? I ended up ordering the Seastar 33C red jacket. It was the only one that sounded like it was a little more durable. Price differences were minimal and I figured it couldn't hurt to have one that claims to hold up a little more.
I went with the Volvo Penta Xact 21407232 19’. I found a really good deal on EBay for 25$ +$5.00 shipping.
It was brand, new not a mark on it. In original box. Came with locknuts and the 4 little rubber boots. But good to know about the Seastar.

Reactions: Kahouna