Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2017
Ventura, CA
Name
Drew Stephens
Boat
Sunbird Neptune 230
Whatsup guys. Got my b*tchen new blue water bait tank. For those who have installed them before, randy told me to mount a couple pieces of starboard to the floor and then slip the tank over the top and drill bottom sides of the tank to the starboard. I can’t for the life of me find any starboard thick enough. There’s a 4” lip of the bait tank and something has to go behind it to screw in the sides of the bait tank. Any ideas?

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Forget the starboard, get yourself four aluminum angle pieces about 6 to 8", screw them to the deck, place the tank over them, drill three holes in each suited for a 1/4-20 tap, remove tank and tap each hole, reinstall tank and install screws with appropriate washers
Good luck.
PS: before you screw the angle pieces to the deck put the tank where you want it to be and draw a outline, place the angle pieces just inside the outline.

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
Whatsup guys. Got my b*tchen new blue water bait tank. For those who have installed them before, randy told me to mount a couple pieces of starboard to the floor and then slip the tank over the top and drill bottom sides of the tank to the starboard. I can’t for the life of me find any starboard thick enough. There’s a 4” lip of the bait tank and something has to go behind it to screw in the sides of the bait tank. Any ideas?
Just cut it in strips, stack them up to make a piece 1.5 inches x 1.5 inces by what ever length you need. Screw them together with lots of screws . Make 2 of them and then mount them to the deck. Slip the bait tank over them and screw from the sides. Be sure to use plenty of screws and sealant where the screws will penetrate the deck. Do not use silicone, use something like sikoflex.

Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
Use a chamfer bit to chamfer the holes you drill in the tank as well, this will keep the holes from cracking and fuking up your nice new tank. Stainless hardware only.

Reactions: Drew Stephens
Upvote 0

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Napa
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    Tap plastics has King starboard in 1-1/2" thickness......worked perfectly in my application. Use 316 SS fasteners and you should never see any rust spots.

I've never seen a tank mounted before so my technique might be different from other people. I flipped my tank upside down and first attached/screwed the starboard 1-1/2" pieces to the tank, leveled the starboard....didn't take much. I then made a paper template of the bottom, of the tank, by tracing and including the screw holes which I previously drilled. I then placed the paper template on my deck, lined it up and drilled. Worked out perfectly.

Reactions: SUPSquatchFish
    Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    It's all here. Use starboard or fiberglass angle.

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
    Nov 9, 2004
    Name
    G
    Boat
    Drew at SeaPro in Costa Mesa has plenty of starboard scraps for sale.

Personally I would never utilize starboard or fiberglass mounting/backing.

Aluminum is not compatible with SS screws either, they will bind and break off when trying to remove.

I utilize SS angle and tap it so the screws actually hold tight and can be removed without ceasing.

The tank Install is bulletproof proof and strong enough for the longest nastiest sea states.

Reactions: Croaker.Stroker
    Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'

Aluminum is not compatible with SS screws either, they will bind and break off when trying to remove.

I utilize SS angle and tap it so the screws actually hold tight and can be removed without ceasing.

The tank Install is bulletproof proof and strong enough for the longest nastiest sea states.
    I have been using the aluminum stainless combination for years with no removal problems, use a bit of "never seez" at installation.
    Nothing wrong with SS angle either.

Reactions: javierlopez123
    Upvote 0

javierlopez123

Almost A Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Pomona
    Name
    Javier
    Boat
    Skippy 24 Fly

There’s nothing wrong with stainless bolts in aluminum. Aluminum will also tap way easier than stainless. Stainless on stainless is more likely to gull than on aluminum. You have to be very careful tapping stainless. Also if you’re worried about dissimilar metals (electrolysis) that’s not a problem unless it’s consistently submerged in water.

Reactions: tbev
    Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Agree with Vigilant32. This is good advice. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

6-260119132722.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    Skipjack 24
    Never use stainless, especially on stainless without anti-sieze.

Anyone ever run a 45+ gallon tank on a swim step? I've got a big aluminum swim step and I'm planning on putting a 45g on it. Going to use aluminum angle, bolted to the step, drill through the tank into the angle, tap angle and screw it down.

Upvote 0