DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
[email protected] 34 over 34 at greylight and headed west passing a sporty with a couple of fish going then we had a group of tuna birds lead us to some puddlers we were able to get up on and throw some bait. Put out a butt hooked dean on 25# and got picked up within 30 seconds; let it run a little flipped the lever on my Trinidad and it was game on for about 10' as the line went limp with a loud pop as I forgot to check my drag which was evidently buttoned down from a previous trip. By the time I retied a new floro leader and hook they were gone as my 2 buddies didn't connect. We headed back west seeng the occasional puddlers/foamers however they were always up and down too quick. Finally came upon an area @ 35/36 were there was 6-8 boats soaking and half of them were bit. We motored upswell of the group and baited up; it would be awhile before we would see any action as our bait out of MB was horrible and got worse as the day went. My buddy finally got bit on 30# line with a sinker; 10 minutes later he was at deep color so I set my 20# outfit down with the clicker on and just before he got his fish up in gaffing range my rod went off so I passed the gaff off and grabbed my rod and brought a 28# BFT twin into the boat identical to my buddies fish.. That was around 830-9AM and that was our day. Found one paddy with nobody home; 2 other buddy boats caught 1 and 2 fish each; it was a rather slow day for most. Nice Ocean but next weekend looks like a disaster.

Upvote 0

EntropyFletch

Jun 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
1990 Mako 171
My 10-yr old son and I were in the same zone yesterday. Lots of fish, lots of boats. Spooky small schools of puddlers up and down so fast it was hard to get on em. Did the drift thing for a while and hooked a nicer one on 40# on the sinker rig. After about 20 min. son accidentally flipped the lever drag to freespool and POOF, giant birds nest. I grabbed the rod and actually got the tangle out but the lack of pressure led to a pulled hook in the next few minutes...and that was our day!

My 17' Mako only holds a 1/2 scoop and the bait never lasts...so no long plunker drifts for us after that..

Upvote 0

Mac Attack

Almost A Member
Nov 23, 2005
Venice
Name
Mike McCormick
Boat
26' Blackman "Patron"
[email protected] 34 over 34 at greylight and headed west passing a sporty with a couple of fish going then we had a group of tuna birds lead us to some puddlers we were able to get up on and throw some bait. Put out a butt hooked dean on 25# and got picked up within 30 seconds; let it run a little flipped the lever on my Trinidad and it was game on for about 10' as the line went limp with a loud pop as I forgot to check my drag which was evidently buttoned down from a previous trip. By the time I retied a new floro leader and hook they were gone as my 2 buddies didn't connect. We headed back west seeng the occasional puddlers/foamers however they were always up and down too quick. Finally came upon an area @ 35/36 were there was 6-8 boats soaking and half of them were bit. We motored upswell of the group and baited up; it would be awhile before we would see any action as our bait out of MB was horrible and got worse as the day went. My buddy finally got bit on 30# line with a sinker; 10 minutes later he was at deep color so I set my 20# outfit down with the clicker on and just before he got his fish up in gaffing range my rod went off so I passed the gaff off and grabbed my rod and brought a 28# BFT twin into the boat identical to my buddies fish.. That was around 830-9AM and that was our day. Found one paddy with nobody home; 2 other buddy boats caught 1 and 2 fish each; it was a rather slow day for most. Nice Ocean but next weekend looks like a disaster.

Sure miss my Blackman right now.

Upvote 0

islandhooker

Fish whisperer
Jun 29, 2007
ca
Name
chris
Boat
Trophy center console
Why does next weekend look like a disaster? Buoycast is showing decent weather.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Buoy Weather is predicting up to 20 kts of wind starting Wednesday developing into 5' swells @ 7 sec Saturday outside the 381; Windy calling for big winds as well right through the week. Hopefully things will change as the week goes by

Upvote 0

islandhooker

Fish whisperer
Jun 29, 2007
ca
Name
chris
Boat
Trophy center console
Buoy Weather is predicting up to 20 kts of wind starting Wednesday developing into 5' swells @ 7 sec Saturday outside the 381; Windy calling for big winds as well right through the week. Hopefully things will change as the week goes by
Yeah. I just checked windy. Hopefully things will change by the end of the week. 👍🏻

Reactions: DOGHOUSE26
Upvote 0