Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
Happy New Year to Everyone!

It's been a while... My boy is now 2 1/2 years old (time flies!) and my wife is 6 months pregnant. 83 year year old pop is hanging in there (slowing down a bit), but he's just proud to be a grandpa! Hope to get out with him soon.

Well...needless to say, I don't see the Shamrock as much these days, but grateful that my little boy will hopefully be following in his Father's footsteps.

Took Mama-to-be and little Dimitri around the harbor a few times to break in his little sea legs. After a few practice runs we tried to find them near the SP Bait Barge. A little cat food and some chunks of squid was the ticket and we had them going in the corner. Light line, a little egg sinker and strip of squid...game on.

Dimitir Mackeral.jpg

Mama showing him the ropes and after a few nice runs, some head shaking and tail pumps we saw color. Up and over came the beast.

1st fish for my boy and Papa was proud as he could be!

dimitir mac.jpg

The perfect YT bait was safely released and Catalina will have to wait for another day.

For all you Father's out there, this one's for you! A life changing moment, for sure and here's to many, many more...God willing.

Tight lines and all the Best!

- Nick

137250703_10158889134141797_4071978593392600245_o.jpg

Upvote 0

dbar

Mmmmmm Backstraps
Jun 26, 2004
With your Mom
Name
Jim Perkins
Boat
18' Center Console " D-Bar II "
Great job dad, teach them young!!!

Reactions: Donkey Nick
Upvote 0

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
I did the same with my kids ... 300 yards off Nachos. WFO YT bait!! They loved it!! 😉

Donkey Nick, I know the feeling 👍👍

Upvote 0

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
Great Dad.
Thanks Dave. Ironically, I watched and learned from your video about how to introduce kids to fishing (on FB). You're best advice was to take it slow, make it about them AND leave on a high note. Cut it off (gently) and leave them wanting more. It's worked so far. great advice.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I still remember the first fish I caught 66 years ago. Your son will remember this day as well. Congratulations to both of you! Oh, and Mom too!!

Reactions: ja73
    Upvote 0
    Jun 10, 2004
    Jamul
    Name
    used to fish
    Boat
    17 Aquasport
    Great job Dad and great write up too! Don't take any of those days for granted, I had to help my kid pack up and move out of CA a couple of weeks ago so those days wont always be here. All of my pics like that are on polaroid!

Reactions: Hooops
    Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Advertiser
    May 26, 2007
    Where ever fish need to be caught.
    Name
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Boat
    YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
    Thanks Dave. Ironically, I watched and learned from your video about how to introduce kids to fishing (on FB). You're best advice was to take it slow, make it about them AND leave on a high note. Cut it off (gently) and leave them wanting more. It's worked so far. great advice.
    Thank you glad I could help.

Upvote 0

Isaltyvair1980

Isaltyvair1980
    Nov 4, 2019
    Santa Ana
    Name
    Isaiah
    Boat
    2002 Edgewater 185
    Nice work!!! I still remember my sons first fish. Now he’s 15 and can throw an iron better than me. I created my own lifetime fishing Buddy. Best decision ever🤙🏼

Reactions: rick rouland
    Upvote 0

finaddict1

Almost A Member
    Nov 4, 2010
    Los Angeles/CA/USA
    Name
    Asher Berlan
    Boat
    Finaddict
    Happy New Year to Everyone!

It's been a while... My boy is now 2 1/2 years old (time flies!) and my wife is 6 months pregnant. 83 year year old pop is hanging in there (slowing down a bit), but he's just proud to be a grandpa! Hope to get out with him soon.

Well...needless to say, I don't see the Shamrock as much these days, but grateful that my little boy will hopefully be following in his Father's footsteps.

Took Mama-to-be and little Dimitri around the harbor a few times to break in his little sea legs. After a few practice runs we tried to find them near the SP Bait Barge. A little cat food and some chunks of squid was the ticket and we had them going in the corner. Light line, a little egg sinker and strip of squid...game on.

View attachment 1244107

Mama showing him the ropes and after a few nice runs, some head shaking and tail pumps we saw color. Up and over came the beast.

1st fish for my boy and Papa was proud as he could be!

View attachment 1244112

The perfect YT bait was safely released and Catalina will have to wait for another day.

For all you Father's out there, this one's for you! A life changing moment, for sure and here's to many, many more...God willing.

Tight lines and all the Best!

- Nick

View attachment 1244113
    My girls started at that age, and still fish, now in their 60's.
    Asher - Finaddict

Reactions: ja73
    Upvote 0

ja73

Almost A Member
    Sep 1, 2017
    SGV
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    Arima SC16
    That is awesome, some proud parents there, and what a great moment with millions more to come !
    I can't wait to get my daughter out there fishing soon. She's almost 3, loves being on the boat, already has her sea legs, and she's now getting familiar with using a fishing pole, fun times ahead!

Upvote 0