tplass

Almost A Member
Aug 2, 2012
HB
Name
Tom
Boat
Yak
Short and sweet version here: With no swell and a fat morning high tide I've fished the past 2 days (Sat/Sun) inshore in HB for about an hour each day. After the most epic offshore season I was hesitant to even fish the light stuff, but it was actually a blast!! All you need to know is LUCKYCRAFT :)

Day 1- 3 perch, 5 smelt, 2 craoker
Day 2- 4 perch, 1 smelt 2 croaker and a foul hooked corbina

Only snapped a couple pics, but good times and stay bent!!!! :jig:

Perch.jpg

Smelt.jpg

Croaker.jpg

Reactions: All Business
Upvote 0

tplass

Almost A Member
Aug 2, 2012
HB
Name
Tom
Boat
Yak
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I meant the lure, haha. Yes, those were smelt, you can always tell by the way they look almost 'upside down'. I was asking if it was a small Luckycraft Pointer lure.

What kind of gear do you fish in the surf? I generally fish very light, in the 4-8lb line range but I'm looking to get something new that may work better.

Upvote 0

tplass

Almost A Member
Aug 2, 2012
HB
Name
Tom
Boat
Yak
hahahaha :imdumb: little hazy back to work here..

I fish a 7'6" Shimano Teramar inshore stick with a small Stradic reel, 10# line just in case a fat flattie shows up

Lucky CraftLengthWeightDepth
CIF Flash Minnow4-1/2"5/8oz2-ft

Upvote 0

2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
dammit danny! 26' skipjack flybridge
Nice, I've caught a couple nice sized corbina in that inlet on mussels and ghost shrimp. That's an awesome place to fish when your all by yourself

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Ive seen undersize halibut come flying out of the water chasing those smelt in the surf zone.
Nudge-nudge,wink-wink.

Reactions: tplass
Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

That's good stuff. The flat surf and fat tide had me wondering about fishing the shoreline. With the great bass and butt fishing going on, seems like a good call.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Nice went the other afternoon at Doheny. I used a 14' Berkeley crappie rod and 1/16 oz curly tail grubs. Caught a bunch with my son. Mostly walleye perch and spot fin croaker. Very fun!!!

Upvote 0

tplass

Almost A Member
Aug 2, 2012
HB
Name
Tom
Boat
Yak
Ive seen undersize halibut come flying out of the water chasing those smelt in the surf zone.
Nudge-nudge,wink-wink.
.....that sounds interesting :D

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
hahahaha :imdumb: little hazy back to work here..

I fish a 7'6" Shimano Teramar inshore stick with a small Stradic reel, 10# line just in case a fat flattie shows up

Lucky CraftLengthWeightDepth
CIF Flash Minnow4-1/2"5/8oz2-ft
Haha, no problem. Thanks for the info, I'd like to surf fish more this coming year. I'll grab a couple Luckycraft cranks.

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None
Way to go on getting a Corbina this time of year. I usually like to throw sandcrabs to them in summer. However, they are scarce now, so in winter, I normally just throw small pieces of squid for Barred Perch and small Leopard Sharks...conditions have been good with the flat water and nice weather last few days!

Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Loved surf fishing before i bought a boat. Theres a good variety to catch.

Super cheap too. Just avoid the non-english speaking bucket brigade and dont advertise or they will show up.

Reactions: tplass
Upvote 0