Inshore Set-Up

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by hatt, Nov 17, 2015.

1. hatt

hatt Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Parker 1801
    Looking for recommendations on a quality go-to inshore set-up. Plan on using it mostly for throwing plastics and jigs. I have read some articles with good advice, but curious to hear what anyone else thinks. Hoping to keep cost under a couple hundred bucks. Cheers!

2. Grmanrocks

Grmanrocks Member

Name:
    Spencer
    Boat:
    26' Navy Whaleboat
    If mostly fishing artificials id go with a low profile baitcaster, something like a lexa 300 (hd if you can afford it) or okuma komodo 350, the komodo and lexa hd have stainless gearing if that matters to you. spool it up with 200-300 yds of a nice solid braid and shorty leader of mono/flouro.

for a rod lots of choices, i like the older shimano teramar split grip trigger sticks in an 8', lots of love out there for the phenix rods too (look at the 8' abyss models), basically any swimbait rod beefy enough will do the job on the three Bs (bonito, barracuda, bass) and smaller offshore stuff.

to give you an idea my inshore reels for plastics are curado d series (100, 200, and 300) with power handles mounted to the oldschool tescata rods 8' models and they also do rockfish duty in the winter.

3. loosendrag

loosendrag Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    I've thought about possible "quality" combos, but to be honest, it's really hard to come up with anything under a couple of hundred bucks.
    With given budget, maybe you should check out something like Teramar inshore rod + Citica G reel combo. (or Daiwa Saltist inshore rod + Exceler reel)
    A lot of times, you can find good deals on decent inshore rods and reels in classifieds here.

sickcat likes this.
  4. LEGENDS

LEGENDS Yogi Bear

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    None
    I have an older graftech paired up with a lexa 300. Love this setup

5. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    If you can double your budget I agree with the baitcaster and rod recommendations that you are getting. But the budget baitcasters just will not hold up in the salt water arena, which is hugely tougher than the fresh water that they were designed for. Spend over $200 for a baitcaster and you are starting to get a serious marine service reel.

For someone on a small budget, the best value is in spinning gear. There are a dozen reels under a hundred bucks that are very much at home playing with the typical marine fish you are likely to encounter inshore. Add a decent spin rod for another hundred or about that, such as the nice Californian line at Turner's which is made by a quality manufacturer, and you are good to go.

6. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Keep your eyes peeled on the used tackle selection on this board. Many great deals to be had. Just make sure your dealing with some reputable or meet in person. Great way for them to get cash to keep feeding thier tackle addictions and for you to get good gear at a lower cost.

Any 300 sized bait caster (I have a Lexa myself) and 8' MH trigger Rod

loosendrag likes this.
  7. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    The low profile reels are going to be the most versatile, imo.

If you are looking for just a bait and surface iron reel for up to 30# leader then a Penn Squall is hard to beat. Great all purpose reel for west coast basic fishing.

But a Revo Toro S, Komodo, Lexa or Curado 300 will totally outclass it for swim baits, hard baits, poppers, surface iron etc and still fish a live bait remarkably well.

So if you lean towards lures, go low profile. If you lean towards bait, go Squall or Fathom.

ps as above spinning will totally get it done inshore too.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  8. hatt

hatt Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Parker 1801
    Thanks for the recommendations fellas! I got a verbal agreement on a lightly used Abu Garcia Revo baitcaster that I am planning on picking up this weekend. Nobody mentioned them here, but they have great reviews from what I have seen. Holds 180 yards of 30# braid and 20# of drag in a low profile seems pretty solid. Let me know if anyone has personal experience with them, I would love to hear what you think!

9. Paulo Grandez

Paulo Grandez Member

Name:
    Paulo
    Boat:
    N/A
  10. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Abu's are solid for your requirements, the larger models are more popular to handle more species with more capacity of heavier line and more cranking power. But you will have fun.

Take the 20#'s of drag with a large helping of salt. Only the biggest ones come close to 15#'s of usable drag but a smaller Revo will make enough for Bass, Barries and Bottomfish.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  11. hatt

hatt Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Parker 1801
    Thats what I plan on using it for. I have Daiwa Saltist on a heavier jig stick for bigger grade fish. The Revo will be for calicos mainly, but hopefully will give me a fighting chance if I happen to get into a YT or seabass while fishing it.

12. fly liner

fly liner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    18.5 wahoo/21' crystaliner /15' prowler
    I pulled in 40+ pound yft on my toro 60 IMG_20150809_104345.jpg top it off with 55#power pro and leave just enouph room for a short top shot of what ever izor mono or fluoro topshot you want and your golden