FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
OK, I'm going to be the ass that condones his "wreckless" behavior just because I know there's got to be some thrill seekers out there that understand his need for an adrenaline rush. We all need it but it varies greatly in degree from person to person. I watch people jump out of helicopters with flying squirrel suits on and no parachute; would I do it? Hell no! But I used to make a hobby of hunting and catching rattlesnakes by hand, why? Purely for the rush. I watch people free climb Half Dome; would you do it? Hell no! It's a death wish! Each person has to make his own decision after counting the cost. I for one will not be criticizing his decision ; it's his and his alone to make even if I think it's madness. My wife thinks the same thing when I push my Harley down the highway at 100 mph at 63 years old. It's men (and women) like Chris that have the same kind of intestinal fortitude that it takes to be a special forces sniper behind enemy lines. I thank God for people that are wired like this, because in many ways these "shark hunters" rise to the occasion when called to go where others dare not.

There's a very fine line between brave and stupid!

Reactions: monster1
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
These were both still alive and released. No injuries, no flipped yaks, no bites.

I’ve had to paddle a few in to shore before because it was too rough to get them up and unhooked. So I’m praying if I do get a larger model it heads inshore and we don’t get more than 3-4 miles out when I have to leader it and either kill it or take it in.

Hammer is definitely on the list from kayak too. Haven’t heard much about them this year though.

View attachment 1043447 View attachment 1043448

These 2 sharks are not Makos or Tigers or Bulls or White Tips or Black Tips or even a Hammerhead. Kinda like a guy riding his motorcycle at excessive speeds doing stunts going up 395 years back, and an hour later as my wife and I passed Little Lake north of Mojave we found he'd pushed his limit too far and was met head on by a semi, this is exactly the route you're taking. I guess we all me our maker in different ways.:deadhorse

Reactions: Killsfish
Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
Your right about alot but remember that all the thrill seekers you mentioned have training, experience and are prepared with the right equipment NOT just balls. He's not a special forces sniper. You can't catch a mako from a mile a away. Only up close. Mako is not like ANY other shark. This guy is not prepared and I don't want him to get hurt. Don't encourage him.
How do you know what my job is or experience is?

Upvote 0

ol'skool

Hot Tuna Blues!
Feb 13, 2015
Lomita
Name
Bruce Hershberger
Boat
American Angler
Your right about alot but remember that all the thrill seekers you mentioned have training, experience and are prepared with the right equipment NOT just balls. He's not a special forces sniper. You can't catch a mako from a mile a away. Only up close. Mako is not like ANY other shark. This guy is not prepared and I don't want him to get hurt. Don't encourage him.

And I guess that's my point, the "thrill" path each of us chooses to take takes practice. Sounds like he's working up to his goal through practice, aka training. The one thing I will add that I tell my thrill seeking sons is that you don't live your life in a vacuum. Everything you do affects others; so as best you can, make sure those others are ok with your dangerous pursuits before you alter their lives by living yours selfishly.

Reactions: mandoman68
Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
About 30” across. It came up and chilled right next to the yak for a good minute and scared me when I looked back and seen it starring at me.
You were scared by a bat rays' gaze?

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
I suppose that until you actually see what one of these bad boys can do......and just how fast it can happen a fellow might be able to just blow it off. Ok maybe you need to experience it yourself? I was like that when I was a lad.
I was headed back one afternoon from fishing the 277 when I got a real eye opener on just how badass these Makos can get. We were running along at a pretty good clip when I caught a glimpse of color about 25 yards out on our port side. There in the face of a wave was a Mako that easily would have gone over 800#. We got a real good look.......then he launched himself like a missile.....6' to 8' completely out of the water. He was chasing bait. It was awe inspiring and at the same time totally bone chilling. Can you imagine something like that hitting you in a 20' boat? Let alone a kayak.....

Go for it man. As Chief Dan George used to say "Today is a good day to die"

Last edited:
Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
Neither of the sharks pictured (the one on the beach or the other one of the same species on the yaker's lap) are makos. The tail, and most everything is wrong. If you judge a mako to be similar to those two you will be surprised.

Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
Neither of the sharks pictured (the one on the beach or the other one of the same species on the yaker's lap) are makos. The tail, and most everything is wrong. If you judge a mako to be similar to those two you will be surprised.
Different species. And I wasn’t saying they were makos. It was in response to the video of small sharks “attacking” kayaks.

How’s this tail look?

C2043773-1167-4F3D-AA36-45C0762E2153.jpeg

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I have a lot of respect for guys that think they can pull this kind of shit off....but when things go sideways I think they should sport the tab of their rescue not the taxpayers.

Reactions: RodRage
Upvote 0

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I think he should go and catch some makos from a boat a few time before thinking about doing it from a kayak.
One time while fishing for mako's on my friends boat we hooked one in the 300lb range brought it to the boat after it leaped completely out of the water a couple of times. We stuck it with a fly gaff and got a tail rope on it. Then it went nuts and rolled up the ropes like a yoyo up and into the boat a 30 Proline. Then it started walking on it's belley towards the closet person when it got to the steps going up to the helm it took a bite of the gel coat we scattered so fast I was up on the tuna tower the Captain was down in the birth and another guy ran up to the bow of the boat. We waited until we all stopped crapping ourselves then the Captain stuck a knife in it's brain from behind none of us would go near it for awhile.
This was not our first Mako we'd caught many before that. My buddy who owned the boat now his thing is jumping in the water with them and filming from under water with a hand held camera

Upvote 0

luckyjohn

Jun 1, 2015
Name
john r westersten
Boat
Get Reel Pursuit 3000
Well, I hope you pull it off. Just know as skilled as you may be, most likely the end result is more up to the shark than you. So I can only hope you get lucky.

We all do things for the thrill of it, some things can have bad endings, its a risk real men will often and sometimes need to take. Usually we like to be behind the wheel, control our own fate, and have the outcome be based on our own personal skill set. Some of that will ring true in your quest.

But your also relying on the behavior of psychotic animal that is tremendously strong and can act drunk or like its on angel dust. it won't give a shit about you and you can't turn it off. I am sure by now you know all this by now, so I wish you good luck, but hope you don't need it. Because if you get the shark on angel dust, that may the next thing you see.

cheers..

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
All good info...also, getting towed 10 miles out to sea is a possibility to consider...my dive partner, Al Schneppershoff (killed by a great white off Guadalupe island), speared a 350 pound black seabass at Catalina..it stayed near the surface and headed out to sea, towing him easily...We found him 3 miles out just before dark...when asked why he didn't cut the line, he replied that," He didn't want to lose his fish or, his spear shaft"...:)
... Having survived a 15' great white after me at Church Rock, a 9' Blue I speared headon off Santa Cruz island (still the F&G spearfishing record I think) and being circled by a good size mako on a kelp paddy, I think all sharks with teeth are dangerous any time. If your femoral artery gets cut, you are done for without immediate aid....which is what happened to Al.
...However, when a great white shows up, makos leave town...

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
Mar 3, 2008
Aztlan
Name
Mandoman
Boat
Kathleen
All good info...also, getting towed 10 miles out to sea is a possibility to consider...my dive partner, Al Schneppershoff (killed by a great white off Guadalupe island), speared a 350 pound black seabass at Catalina..it stayed near the surface and headed out to sea, towing him easily...We found him 3 miles out just before dark...when asked why he didn't cut the line, he replied that," He didn't want to lose his fish or, his spear shaft"...:)
... Having survived a 15' great white after me at Church Rock, a 9' Blue I speared headon off Santa Cruz island (still the F&G spearfishing record I think) and being circled by a good size mako on a kelp paddy, I think all sharks with teeth are dangerous any time. If your femoral artery gets cut, you are done for without immediate aid....which is what happened to Al.
...However, when a great white shows up, makos leave town...
Thanks for sharing . Sorry about your friend.

Reactions: Sushiboy
Upvote 0