lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
Flying gaff lashed to a yak, yes get a GO PRO.
You dont leash it to the yak, dont leash anything to the yak, it’s on a float. Stick them in or near the gills and let them drag it. Same as catching pacific halibut from yaks.
Just curious. Do you drive a lifted pickup truck with big tires?
No, but it’s leveled. If you see it say hi

CD1D46D7-7AD7-45CB-970D-E7DE8E2AE594.jpeg

Upvote 0

Cheeseburger Killer

Beloved Son
Mar 27, 2018
So Very Cal
Name
Kent
Boat
Selling It...
Chris-
Lot of folks peeing in your cornflakes right now. My take- if it’s really important to you, do it. That said, you ARE taking a sizable risk by attempting to catch a large mako from your ‘yak. I know of a mako that shortly after hitting a trolled bait offshore launched itself into the cockpit of a 32’ center console. You can imagine the mayhem that followed. Crew swore it was an intentional act. Who knows, it probably was. I’ll finish by saying if you have a bride and/or little ones, reconsider this...

Reactions: mandoman68
Upvote 0

LEC

Almost A Member
Dec 15, 2005
Garden Grove Ca.
Name
Larry Crownover
Boat
20 ft. Invader LC
If you're going to fish for mako's, carry a gun. It's the only safe way to subdue that species. The flying gaff is ok on a boat, not a kayak. I've seen makos jump 15 feet, straight up. Meanest fish in our waters.

Reactions: waterman395
Upvote 0

Blackiee

Jul 8, 2007
Hollister CA
Name
Ray
Boat
Wellcraft 220 Coastal
LMFAO, So no experience with Makos, I fish out of Monterey Bay...BUT.. not uncommon for 12' White sharks to come up to the boat just to check you out.
So I can imagine a mako, and potentially a very big white shark, could come pay you a visit. Up here the whites have a tendency to bite yaks just to see what they are. I'm sure they are down there too....

Good luck if that's you goal.

Upvote 0

SD Fish Guy

-Patrick the aquarium pro
Apr 28, 2012
Oceanside, Ca
Name
Patrick
Boat
Triumph 17' CC, Seapro 190wa
This guy doesn't want to hear anyone's concerns or advice. His "flying gaff" is a zip tied on 12/0. As someone who has spear fished, I know that float would not stop tuna in 100lb class, let alone a 300lb mako! Maybe if you were able to get it in the gills, good luck with that.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Zipties? You're FN kidding right!!!!!?
You're playing with something you won't recover from!
It will be quick and extremely painful, I sure hope not though.
Please take all precautions to prevent what others have stated above COULD happen.

Zipties as a solution 20190703.jpg

Reactions: LEC
Upvote 0

lowprofile

Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
That’s just one I pulled from google, not mine.

But ok guys. Thanks for all the advise

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    If you're going to fish for mako's, carry a gun. It's the only safe way to subdue that species. The flying gaff is ok on a boat, not a kayak. I've seen makos jump 15 feet, straight up. Meanest fish in our waters.

I would review the legal means for taking a mako before recommending using a gun.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I've done a TON of Mako fishing.

I'll never forget this one.
    upload_2019-7-3_14-0-11.png

Just under 300#'s. Hit it with the flyer, bent the gaff, had it on a poly ball to tire it out. Charged the boat with the flyer in it's gils went ballistic and started trying to eat the boat.

Drove away from it. After another 40 minutes and a broken gaff later we finally tail roped it and started dragging it backwards with two tail ropes and the flyer firmly in place. We pulled the throttles back after 40 minutes of dragging it. The instant we backed off it went absolutely ballistic and threw the flyer out of it gills, got one of the tail ropes in it's mouth and bit through it, luckily had one more. Took another hour of dragging it backwards before we could fully dispatch it.

Sounds like fun on a kayak!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Have had similar experiences over the years each mako acts a little bit different and once you decide to take one all bets are off as to their reaction to being stuck.

Happy trails to doing so in kayak

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
    Mar 3, 2008
    Aztlan
    Name
    Mandoman
    Boat
    Kathleen

View attachment 1043236

Just under 300#'s. Hit it with the flyer, bent the gaff, had it on a poly ball to tire it out. Charged the boat with the flyer in it's gils went ballistic and started trying to eat the boat.

Drove away from it. After another 40 minutes and a broken gaff later we finally tailed roped it and started dragging it backwards with two tail ropes and the flyer firmly in place. We pulled the throttles back after 40 minutes of dragging it. The instant we backed off it went absolutely ballistic and threw the flyer out of it gills, got one of the tail ropes in it's mouth and bit through it, luckily had one more. Took another hour of dragging it backwards before we could fully dispatch it.

Thank you for putting things in Perspective for our friend. Seriously.

Reactions: Northeastfshman
    Upvote 0

lowprofile

Dec 11, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    Sold it

View attachment 1043236

Drove away from it. After another 40 minutes and a broken gaff later we finally tailed roped it and started dragging it backwards with two tail ropes and the flyer firmly in place. We pulled the throttles back after 40 minutes of dragging it. The instant we backed off it went absolutely ballistic and threw the flyer out of it gills, got one of the tail ropes in it's mouth and bit through it, luckily had one more. Took another hour of dragging it backwards before we could fully dispatch it.

Ya I had one come up while drifting and try to eat the rudder on our boat, must have seen a shiny spot, then did some Arials after being hooked, didn’t like the gaff and spun for like 5 mins (T handles are awesome) then proceeded to eat the tuna in the fish well.... swimming in ice slosh for another 5 mins lol.

Closest call was a white just over 11ft that literally tried to eat my buddy and I. She was the most docile, polite shark until we got close enough and all hell would break lose.

I’m not too concerned though, I got this.

Just picked this rod up from turners for 40 bucks yesterday and got two blocks of chum today. Look for the little blue boat out there if you guys are out!

0A8B5EC1-C408-4D0B-9D7F-C7BB832437F1.jpeg

Upvote 0

billa

Sep 27, 2007
    Bend, Oregon
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    20' NorthRiver.
    Trying to guess the conversation when the guys in the Coast Guard helicopter find your corpse. " Hey Cap, we got a bleeder!"

Upvote 0