lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
set a slick and waited about 3 hours for them to show up. Had 3 come up and a pelagic Ray, two babies and one about 5ft. Hooked one of the babies and the others took off. Bite marks on the little guy. Lol.

Maybe next time I’ll get an eater.

0D4FBC46-357B-462D-ACDB-F5680626F88A.jpeg

Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
On a Kayak. You are crazy. But all the power to you. How big was the pelagic ray?
About 30” across. It came up and chilled right next to the yak for a good minute and scared me when I looked back and seen it starring at me lol. I dug out my phone to take a pic and it swam off before I could get a clear one.

But yes, In a kayak. Goal is to get one over 300lbs in a paddle yak. Just waiting on my 20/0 J hook to get here to make a small flying gaff.

Upvote 0

CardShark

Almost A Member
Mar 6, 2015
Ventura, CA
Name
Mario
Boat
Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak
set a slick and waited about 3 hours for them to show up. Had 3 come up and a pelagic Ray, two babies and one about 5ft. Hooked one of the babies and the others took off. Bite marks on the little guy. Lol.

Maybe next time I’ll get an eater.

View attachment 1043131

Damn, I would not hold that Mako that close.

Upvote 0

T Shark

Jun 15, 2007
So Cal
Name
Michael
Boat
My Medication
Dude! You don't want to be holding that baby that close. He shakes out of your hands lands on you and your done. You'd bleed out before you made it to shore.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Dude.......DUDE. About 35 years ago I caught a 110#er fishing solo in my 20 SeaCraft. Clubbed the hell out of it then towed it by a tail rope behind the boat for at least 15 minutes. Then he went into a large fish box in the casting platform up front. Deader than a doornail I thought....half hour later the lid flew open and he jumped right outta the box and slid back to the stern where I was standing running the boat. Next thing I know I am standing on the seat above him. Damn thing proceeded to jump up off the deck to be eye level with me. I swear to God I thought it was possessed. Thank God I had left the tail rope on him and was able to swing him out of the boat. It all happened in an instant and somehow I managed to get my heart restarted. Could have.....no should have had a very different ending. IMO the Mako is the most dangerous fish you can catch here. That one proved it to me.

Upvote 0

billa

Sep 27, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Name
Bill
Boat
20' NorthRiver.
Saying you want to catch a 300 pounder from the yak is beyond insane. I think it would be similar to wanting to hunt a Kodiak brown bear with a recurve bow.
I have caught them up to about 125 pounds before. I would say from that experience that a 125 pounder would kick your ass, then kill you. No question about it.

Upvote 0

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
Not gonna hate because I use to kayak fish too, but I never hunt sharks. It isn't very sporty in my opinion. It's like putting little bags of meth all around, of course a tweaker is gonna come along and grab one. Doesn't mean you want to take one home.

Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
That little one alone could kill you the way you are handling it. Neck, thigh, or crotch and you will be toast. He can almost bite his own tail.

Upvote 0