Offshore Insane Amount of Fish - North 9

May 28, 2020
San Diego
Name
Christian Olande
Boat
21' Chris Craft Sea Hawk
Still speechless at how much fish we saw. I literally saw more foamers yesterday than I did all of last season. *Not exaggerating.

The only thing I saw more than the bluefin were idiots running straight into foamers and making them sink. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Lol

Left mission bay around 7:30 with a half scoop of okay sardines. 45 minute run to the north 9 and we were out to the parking lot around 8:15. Stopped on a paddy on the way for a small yellowtail. There was A LOT of boats. Tried it for about 30 minutes when we were metering but couldn’t get them to go. Too much pressure with all the boats around so we headed W/SW. We started seeing gnarly foamers around 42 over 35. Threw everything at them; poppers, surface irons, stick baits, colt snipers. The colt sniper is my go to and worked for me yesterday. That’s what all our fish were hooked on. Run and gun fishing all day.

Fish #1 - Big grade, 90-100# at least. Almost spooled my Tranx 500 with 65lb braid to 50lb leader. Had to buckle down on the drag with 50 yards left. Snapped my leader in half.

Fish #2 - Same as Fish #1.

Fish #3 - Tied on a 60lb leader and landed a 60lber.

Fish #4 - Popped off the hook right before gaffing.

Fish #5-7 - All landed, 30-60# fish.

Chased the foamers for about 7 hours before heading home. A lot of fish but really difficult to get them to bite even when they’re foaming. Consistency is key. Went home with limits of Bluefin and one small yellowtail.

Go get ‘em!!

97CED37F-137C-45D0-8853-DE6ADD58F74B.jpeg

Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
17 Aquasport
It was all sunk out in the afternoon or full! I left work early and was out there with all the other boats and it was completely dead from 4-5:30. Never saw a bird dive, a rod bend, a single foam or heard anyone whoot. Timing is everything so we went in to LJ and caught some Cudas and Calicos to save the day. Good on you bro you earned it and were there at the right time!

ryanhead

Almost A Member
Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
It was all sunk out in the afternoon or full! I left work early and was out there with all the other boats and it was completely dead from 4-5:30. Never saw a bird dive, a rod bend, a single foam or heard anyone whoot. Timing is everything so we went in to LJ and caught some Cudas and Calicos to save the day. Good on you bro you earned it and were there at the right time!
I was out yesterday afternoon too. We saw a ton of skiffs parked amongst the cattle boats but the pressure had the fish down. They were foaming in every direction a few miles west of the fleet. Don't chase boats!

Upvote 0
Jun 19, 2009
Costa Mesa, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
36 Riviera, RIPTIDE
LOL, I wish. Kicking my son the A$$ to finish his pilot license. He has some flight time coming up, I'll see if he can't try a pattern out that way...
I would not encourage your son to fly around over the ocean if he is a beginner pilot. Ditching in the ocean can be pretty tricky.
Two cents from a retired airline captain.

sdapguy

Sep 25, 2020
US
Name
D P
Boat
1994 15' Dauntless Whaler
I would not encourage your son to fly around over the ocean if he is a beginner pilot. Ditching in the ocean can be pretty tricky.
Two cents from a retired airline captain.
Stealthy, Thank you for your good advice. He has the hours, but needs to finish FAA exam over playing video games... He's getting back into it after marriage, divorce and a longer than usual cruise around the world. He's flying over Ortega Highway, not a place to use as a secondary, tertiary landing area either, lol. Guys on here would rather have a BFT report than a rattlesnake report. He's a good swimmer...JK. Send me a PM with more advice, if you wouldn't mind, in regards to getting into the cargo side of the industry. Glad to see you made it through, congratulations!

Upvote 0

solb

Jul 13, 2014
Name
a
Boat
none
Still speechless at how much fish we saw. I literally saw more foamers yesterday than I did all of last season. *Not exaggerating.

The only thing I saw more than the bluefin were idiots running straight into foamers and making them sink. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Lol

Left mission bay around 7:30 with a half scoop of okay sardines. 45 minute run to the north 9 and we were out to the parking lot around 8:15. Stopped on a paddy on the way for a small yellowtail. There was A LOT of boats. Tried it for about 30 minutes when we were metering but couldn’t get them to go. Too much pressure with all the boats around so we headed W/SW. We started seeing gnarly foamers around 42 over 35. Threw everything at them; poppers, surface irons, stick baits, colt snipers. The colt sniper is my go to and worked for me yesterday. That’s what all our fish were hooked on. Run and gun fishing all day.

Fish #1 - Big grade, 90-100# at least. Almost spooled my Tranx 500 with 65lb braid to 50lb leader. Had to buckle down on the drag with 50 yards left. Snapped my leader in half.

Fish #2 - Same as Fish #1.

Fish #3 - Tied on a 60lb leader and landed a 60lber.

Fish #4 - Popped off the hook right before gaffing.

Fish #5-7 - All landed, 30-60# fish.

Chased the foamers for about 7 hours before heading home. A lot of fish but really difficult to get them to bite even when they’re foaming. Consistency is key. Went home with limits of Bluefin and one small yellowtail.

Go get ‘em!!

View attachment 1299560
Getting a new set-up and decided on a Tranx 500 for the reel.........what rod are you using with it. Your fish #1/#2 are what happened to us last week, ha!

ChristianOlande
ChristianOlande
I usually have it on a 9 foot phenix 30-60 (I forget what model) or 10 foot UC wahoo 40-60
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Great right up. On your tranx you can easily fish a 80# leader on 65# braid as it is a reaction bite. If the bigger guys ar around 100 is ok too...

that is what I would be doing on those size fish.

Reactions: ChristianOlande
Upvote 0