Shorelinewash

Dec 11, 2016
Shoreline, WA
Name
D-
Boat
18' North River Seahawk
Hi all,

First off, I'm new to BD and loving the banter and insight. I'm hopeful you may be willing to share some of your experience and opinions here.

I will be purchasing an aluminum boat by years end and am looking for input. I'm leaning towards buying new, in part, with end of month and end of year sales goals pending, I'm hopeful I may be able to save a few $$. At this moment I'm leaning towards an 18' Stryker new or low hours. I've seen some used North River Seahawks that look awesome but have 500 plus hours on the motors and not enough savings to interest me.

I've heard that the Strykers don't ride as smooth as the North River or Duckworth, do any of you have first hand experience with that? I've spent plenty of time on a buddy's 18' North River and sure it is nice, but it's an 18' aluminum, how much worse can the Stryker be? Maybe it can, I don't know.

The interior width of at least 72" is important to me as well.

Thanks in advance for any insight or opinions on any 18' aluminum and buying used or new.

D-

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
Prop or pump?

THe stryker is rougher riding for sure! Been in both, with pumps and props. My suggestion is ride in both. And don't be cheap when buying aluminum, you're already buying an expensive boat, what's a couple thousand more at that point?

I suggest you don't rush into this purchase and really buy what you want not based on price, but based on what you think you'll use. The NR is a bad ass boat and you get a lot more than just a name. 18' stryker is one to buy used in my opinion, there are lots for sale, why not sure, but they are on the market.

And follow mike's instruction and max that puppies power out, all boats are under powered and if you max it, you'll love it and resale value will increase!!

Rougarou

One More Pass?
Jul 6, 2012
Coon Bay, WA
www.rougarourods.com
Name
Eric
Boat
Looking
Not sure what your plans are with this new boat but be aware that if you want to fish big water, 2 footitis sets in really quick. If I had to do it all again I would have saved some more/waited and got a bigger boat. Once you buy it, you'll be stuck with it a while so make sure what you buy will do everything that you want it to do now and in the near term, when you want to do it.
Agree with black elk that you want the biggest motor you can get. It would suck having a small motor as well as a small boat.

Shorelinewash

Dec 11, 2016
Shoreline, WA
Name
D-
Boat
18' North River Seahawk
Thanks for the input gents.

Benjamin - I'm looking at a used, 2005, 18'6 NR w a 90 hp with 520 hours on the motor for 27k. I'd buy today but I'm a little nervous on the hours. The last thing I, or my wife, wants is dealing with motor problems after spending 27k.

Redz- Will moor in Edmonds, fish/crab mostly locally, with some occasional bigger outings.

Thank you again guys, the insight is greatly appreciated!

D-

LJB

Down Fur-Lined Avenue
Jan 18, 2013
Tacoma
Name
ain't no cunthead
Boat
68 Bellboy
Thanks for the input gents.

Benjamin - I'm looking at a used, 2005, 18'6 NR w a 90 hp with 520 hours on the motor for 27k. I'd buy today but I'm a little nervous on the hours. The last thing I, or my wife, wants is dealing with motor problems after spending 27k.

Redz- Will moor in Edmonds, fish/crab mostly locally, with some occasional bigger outings.

Thank you again guys, the insight is greatly appreciated!

D-

My opinion if you have that much to spend take your time looking great deals show up, That boat I assume had sat a lot = possible troubles.

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
If you have the storage space I would say get a 20'er. 18 is really the base min if you're going to be fishing the salt regularly. It's doable (I fished the sound in a 17' for years) but the differences are night and day. Also, if you haven't already look at the offshore bracketed boats. A 20 w an OS bracket is a VERY capable platform.

You get what you pay for. The differences in price between NR and Alumaweld are because of material used and the fit and finish features.... NR uses far superior aluminum, check the thickness spec for the hull and you'all see why there's a difference in cost.

That being said Alumaweld makes pretty decent boats, I've fished out of a lot of their boats and they catch fish

Reactions: Grady226

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
Jul 6, 2012
North of seattle
Name
Blackmouther
Boat
9' bullfrog "mr big"
27k is too much for a used 18' boat. Not a fan of the joint design on an alumaweld. Duckworth, weldcraft (same similar) northriver or hewes. There are some guys on here that would take you for a run in their boats. Dont rush into it, be patient and you will get a good deal

Fireball

Not so New
Jun 23, 2010
Lynnwood, WA. USA
Name
Bud
Boat
SOLD
90 Hp seems under powered on the NR 18' I think it maxes out at 115 HP. I had a friend who bought an 18' NR he was going to go with the 90 the dealer wanted to sell him but I talked him into the 115 HP. If you do not need the power you can back off the throttle but if you need the power and do not have it then what?

Like said above with your budget look around. I'm not sold the boat dealers have the end of year sales like the car lots. Is there a reason you have to buy by years end?

Good luck with your decision post up pics when you get your boat and welcome to BD.

Shorelinewash

Dec 11, 2016
Shoreline, WA
Name
D-
Boat
18' North River Seahawk
Much appreciated insight, thank you!

Bud - no reason other reason to purchase by EOY than I thought I could save some money on new.

Odin 7 has a good point, maybe the boat show is worth waiting for. I've dug around a bit on the pros/cons of boat shows and have heard the possibility of saving money but have also heard the opinion that many dealers mark up prior to going and then offer "discounts". Also read that maybe purchasing the last day a guy can save a few bucks as dealers don't like to transport back to their lot.

I'm all for everyone making a buck, I just don't want to pay more than a fair amount.

Thanks again!

D-

Lion11

Paul
Apr 26, 2010
Bonney Lake/Westport
Name
Paul
Boat
Grady White 275 Freedom
Best 18 ft boat I was in is the Weldcraft Maverick 18'6. I think it is more boat than the NR 18 Seahawk. The beam for the 18 ft is the same for the 20 ft. Short fat boat...

When you prepare for take off in a Maverick, make sure your adrenaline is securely primed and the coolers are stored in their upright position. With power supplied by an outboard engine or MerCruiser Sterndrive, the 186 and 201 Mavericks are as delightful to drive as they are to admire. The reverse chines create instant lift, getting the vessel on plane faster and with less horsepower. The bottom design holds so tight in the corners even NASCAR® would be impressed. But it's cruising and wide-open running where it really stirs the soul. Screaming along at full throttle is when everyone will take notice. The ride is high and dry, smooth as silk, and confidently under the driver's control. On the inside, passengers aboard a Maverick will indulge in amenities like suspension seats, carpeted side trays and optional bench-to-bed rear seating. Anglers will appreciate the optional transom fish box/live well and available space for optional trolling motor or downriggers. Skiers and wake boarders will love the vari-able wake. Whether you're lounging around with a good book, catching some rays or fish, or just admiring the scenery, the sky's the limit when you're in a Maverick.
Beam: 8 ft. 2 in.
Fuel tank capacity: 42
Standard features: Extruded chine, toe rail and keel strip
Reverse Chine Bottom Design
Heavy duty fold down top with side curtains & backdrop
5 window, welded walkthrough windshield with grab handles
Driver windshield wiper
Welded self bailing recess bow w/diamond tread plate
Bow anchor locker
Bow storage
3" Bow rails
2 folding seats on suspension pedestal bases
2 - 26" bench seats on storage boxes
Heavy Duty Rotary Steering
Full gauge instrumentation package w/12 volt outlet, speedometer, tachometer, volt meter & fuel gauge
Navigation and anchor lights
Marine horn
Choice of 11 Standard paint colors
Full side paint w/striping
Vinyl Side Graphics
Marine grade plywood floors
Pressure tested sub-floor fuel cell
Level flotation foam package
Choice of Sand or Gray Interior package
Marine grade vinyl floor covering
Carpeted sidewalls and side storage trays
Port console with storage
Cup holders
Side rod racks
Stainless steel bow eye
2 welded stern eyes
4 - 8" Stainless steel cleats
Fuel / water separator
1250 gph bilge pump
Outback Bracket with diamond tread swim platform
Transducer bracket

TonyG

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
520 hrs is nothing. I'd be curious why an 11 yr old right had so few hrs.

But 520 hrs is at worst 25% lifespan-assuming even decent maintenance.

NR will be much more solid than alumiweld.

I own both

Reactions: TexMojoII

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
I read on the internet tin and salt don't play well together.....

Shorelinewash

Dec 11, 2016
Shoreline, WA
Name
D-
Boat
18' North River Seahawk
Some good humor...

Tony-Being you have both, what do you mean by "will be much more solid"? I know the hull aluminum is thicker but the side walls spec out the same. I've spent a fair amount of time in a NR and thought it was bad ass, I haven't spent time in the Stryker..that said would you say it would feel chintzy? I'm trying to get a barometer on your sentiments.

Again, this board has already been a huge value, thanks a ton for all the input!

D-

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
May 9, 2010
North of Kali!
Name
Dave
Boat
4 and counting!
:finger:
Welcome to the banter!
:finger: