INNOVATE SPJ - Designed for Head Boats

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
So I ordered the 600nn and reserved both the innovates from capt harry since I live close to them.

1. Should I spool it with the 14# firefly? I want to be able to deep drop when the current allows it, but still fish all other depths

2. I'm also having trouble finding jigs to buy that are over 300g to use on the 78. Any good website recommendations ? I know SFC are great, expensive, jigs. Might get a handful just to have them, but any other brands and styles and where to get them ?
Rayscustomworks in Melbourne, Fl. has the Sea Falcon Deep Neo and Super Drain jigs in sizes up to 400g. They may have a few Super Drains in 500g also. They also have the Z Slow jigs up to 350g. If you want jigs at about $10.00 or so each, look up jigsrigsandstuff. They sell hammered diamond jigs in all sizes - from 1-32 oz., I believe. The 16 and 20 oz. diamond jigs might be good in deep water and they sell all of their diamond jigs in silver, gold and glow colors. I take the gold jigs and glue gold glitter to them and they look really bright after I do that. Good luck with your fishing!! Oops, one more thing. NLO jigs has their Fast Drop jigs in sizes up to 350g. The 350g size is $28.99 plus shipping, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: streetnfish

tugasangler

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 9, 2016
Virginia
Name
James
Boat
Yankee Capts
So I ordered the 600nn and reserved both the innovates from capt harry since I live close to them.

1. Should I spool it with the 14# firefly? I want to be able to deep drop when the current allows it, but still fish all other depths

2. I'm also having trouble finding jigs to buy that are over 300g to use on the 78. Any good website recommendations ? I know SFC are great, expensive, jigs. Might get a handful just to have them, but any other brands and styles and where to get them ?

The deep jigs are where the line is drawn on where you can be cheap for jigs tbh ... also I’d spool it with 20lb . What BENNY any many gurus don’t always give themselves credit for is truly spending so much time with their tackle learning how to use it and it’s limits . Also such thin line is great when you’re on a personal boat. I’m guessing you won’t be on your personal boat. So 20-30lb will suit you better . You’ve got get away from wanting slow jigging to be cheap .. if you want cheap use bait brother .

Last edited:

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
The deep jigs are where the line is drawn on where you can be cheap for jigs tbh ... also I’d spool it with 20lb . What BENNY any many gurus don’t always give themselves credit for is truly spending so much time with their tackle learning how to use it and it’s limits . Also such thin line is great when you’re on a personal boat. I’m guessing you won’t be on your personal boat. So 20-30lb will suit you better . You’ve got get away from wanting slow jigging to be cheap .. if you want cheap use bait brother .
I spend 30-40 per doz on gogs. I usually spend more on bait than the jigs I lose.

wwen

Jig & Pop
Aug 19, 2014
La Costa/Carlsbad
Name
Edward
Boat
One day

About to enter medical school so got an idea of where you’re coming from. The innovate 80mh has been on my bucket list for a while and I will own one. It checks all the boxes for what I’m looking for. If it were me on your budget I’d at least get your reels second hand on the classified. You might even be able to get two
1) unless you’re primarily using the setup for deep dropping if you’re only getting one line, x2 on tugasangler. I’d get a “PE3” 30lb JBraid or Yozuri or 20lb ProSpec Metered especially if you’re not very comfortable with friction knots like FG and PR, there’s a slight learning curve and theres some really nice sized btm fish in FL. Keep in mind that different brand lb test can be drastically different. Also I strongly prefer metered for jigging so I know how much off the btm I am when I get bit. I prefer the Jbraid cuz it’s smoother, 8 strand and metered. Every batch of line will vary sometimes by a lot. I sent in 30lb Jbraid samples to get tested, two broke at 49lbs but some breaks and others at 59lb. Here’s a very useful spreadsheet for choosing lines:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0rt7cbdccq2on7/Latest Braid Test.xlsx?dl=0

2) for 300+g jigs, ones mentioned before NLO. NLO is unique in that they use actual baitfish images. Sea Falcon & FCL labo are great too. For readily available & inexpensive, Ocean Cat jigs on Amazon get to your door in one day , have nice colors many sizes and come with decent hooks, maybe change em if you’re targeting really big fish. JiggingWorld is good too have many sizes. Getting a UV flashlight really brightens up glow in the dark, which I like to use when overcast or very deep. During bright days I’ve had the best luck with pink, silver and blue. I like the zebra or glow stripe color combos

I’ve never fished in FL but from my experience bottom fishing , Id choose madai, plastics and inichiku for other styles of lures- sometimes draw bites when jigs fail for me. But jigs are more fun to me so usually what I drop first to cover more water column quicker. Check out JiggingWorld & Hayabusa for these. Recently ordered from Arcadia Tackle which was a hell of a bargain, haven’t used their lures but believe they will work well. If you email them they can set you up with a custom order of specific colors sets
Check this out too:
http://www.okhaen.net/the-100-best-vertical-jigs

Last edited:

MrFish49

May 28, 2019
Duluth
Name
Eugene Lee
Boat
none
Well just ordered one from Capt Harrys, seems that the 80MH has become hard to come by now though. Got their last one they had.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Well just ordered one from Capt Harrys, seems that the 80MH has become hard to come by now though. Got their last one they had.
The rod has been a big success, and we've sold out of stock in the first run of the Innovate MH 8'0. Any stock in the stores is what will be available until we get round two. There are still some 7'8H models left from the first run.

Over 200 rods sold within 3 months of launch, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support from everyone. It means so much to me.

Thank you.

Reactions: tugasangler

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Yes, full lineup

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Glad I preordered. Congrats Benny, you crafted a best seller.
Confirmed that Innovate 8'0 MH restock will be shipping first week of February!

Big.B

Dec 13, 2019
Miami Fl
Name
Brandon
Boat
Mako
Got this nice golden tile today in 700ft. My first tile and golden! Thank Benny and everyone for all your assistance. Love the new Innovate
82831625_474991933190481_2536723447271129088_n.jpg

Reactions: RKBridges

Big.B

Dec 13, 2019
Miami Fl
Name
Brandon
Boat
Mako
2 questions.

1. Should I be using swivel and what do you recommend if so? I always thought you just tied onto the top solid ring

2. How do you know which end of a jig to tie your leader onto? I assume jigs with eyes you tie onto the eye side, but do you normally tie onto the more slender side or does it even matter?

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
If fought properly off the reel, I would say up to 100. Keep in mind that slow pitch rods, even those with significant backbone, are not designed to be the primary tool to fight the fish - the reel is

Temple Reef will have a booth at the Fred Hall show this year.
Good to know...you have deals on this rod at the booth?

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
2 questions.

1. Should I be using swivel and what do you recommend if so? I always thought you just tied onto the top solid ring

2. How do you know which end of a jig to tie your leader onto? I assume jigs with eyes you tie onto the eye side, but do you normally tie onto the more slender side or does it even matter?
First, congrats on the tile! Glad the rod worked out for you.

Using a swivel is up to you. The choices are either leader to solid ring, or leader to ball bearing swivel. I use a swivel (#5 Spro). I feel that when you have a decent fish on, that is spinning on the way up, you get less line twist. If you're going with a solid ring, I like the Owner 6.5 size.

I generally tie to the side with the eye on it. Many slow jigs are somewhat center weighted, so it can be tough sometimes as both sides look about the same. Usually there's some subtle difference in the weighting though.

jowo

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 9, 2004
Woodland Hills
Name
Johnny
Boat
Sold
Hey Brent, are the guides on the innovate heavier than the levitates? I had them been it on my early generation levitate and had to have them replaced. The pics a few pages back look like they're heavier.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Yes, the Innovate uses Fuji LDB super duty guides. Still on the small side but much stronger than the micro guides on previous versions on the Levitate.

The Levitate Ti also had the guide train changed to use stronger and slightly larger Fuji guides for 2020.

jowo

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 9, 2004
Woodland Hills
Name
Johnny
Boat
Sold
Yes, the Innovate uses Fuji LDB super duty guides. Still on the small side but much stronger than the micro guides on previous versions on the Levitate.

The Levitate Ti also had the guide train changed to use stronger and slightly larger Fuji guides for 2020.
Thanks, Benny! Auto correct changed your name in the last post, sorry!

Reactions: benwah22

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Grabbed both rods when they came out and have only gotten them into a few medium sized yellowtail (westcoast). I've mostly fished the 8'0" MH with an Ocea 2000NRHG, Valiant 300 and 500N2. Unlike Benny, I really like the lower gear once in the "grind" mode from down deep. :-)

I'm really looking forward to testing the 7'8" H on some bigger Yellows at Colonet and then the bluefin when they're back up this way. Will likely run Penn Torque 25NLD2 (w Tiburon handle) or even the 40NLD2 if jigging for those 60-120lbers.

Here's one on the 6'8" Levitate for reference to what I'm typically targeting out here.
View attachment 1100046
Nice Yellow...just curious if you have any updates on using it at Punta Colonet lately? TIA.

davidsk

Salty
Jun 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Name
David
Boat
myboat
Anyone have advice on how to purchase an INN-80MH?
I live in LA and haven't been able to find a local dealer.