benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
would it be reasonable to get the 600nn and use it on both the 78 and the 80? Cost for me is the biggest factor, and I can possibly entertain the idea of getting 2 rods and 1 reel but not 2 reels and 2 rods.
You could for sure do that. Some people think the 600nn is a little tall for their liking, so if you're not routinely fishing over 600ft, or you (like me) don't have gigantic hands, the 500n may be a better option for personal comfort. See how they feel in your hand and go with what will best suit your needs.

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
I use a Shimano Torium16 HGA (fast retrieve) reel on my slow pitch rods. It's a little heavier than the Accurate Valiant or Tern but it feels solid and I don't mind the extra weight of the reel, at least not at this time. I think the Torium 16 retails for $229.95 and I bought each of mine for about $190.00. The Torium 16 was a recommended reel on the Yankee Capts website and it seems to me like a good way to go if you don't want to spend $300, $500 or more $$ for a reel. BTW, Capt. Harry's still has the Gravitate G-3 on sale for $169.95. For about $500.00 you can get a good rod, reel, braided line and maybe a spool of 50 lb. fluorocarbon. The jigs, split ring pliers, braid cutters and PR knot bobbin might cost you almost that much more, depending on what and how much you buy. Good luck, my 360 tuna friend. I'm a newbie at this too and I had a good time on my first time slow pitchin'. I hope you do too.

Last edited:

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
would it be reasonable to get the 600nn and use it on both the 78 and the 80? Cost for me is the biggest factor, and I can possibly entertain the idea of getting 2 rods and 1 reel but not 2 reels and 2 rods.
I'd go with the 500n if i were buying only one reel.

Reactions: yessokk and jonhjax

MAG0121

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
Grabbed both rods when they came out and have only gotten them into a few medium sized yellowtail (westcoast). I've mostly fished the 8'0" MH with an Ocea 2000NRHG, Valiant 300 and 500N2. Unlike Benny, I really like the lower gear once in the "grind" mode from down deep. :-)

I'm really looking forward to testing the 7'8" H on some bigger Yellows at Colonet and then the bluefin when they're back up this way. Will likely run Penn Torque 25NLD2 (w Tiburon handle) or even the 40NLD2 if jigging for those 60-120lbers.

Here's one on the 6'8" Levitate for reference to what I'm typically targeting out here.
8E3F73C6-82D7-4013-A155-9F3299AED5AF.JPG

Last edited:

Big.B

Dec 13, 2019
Miami Fl
Name
Brandon
Boat
Mako
I'd go with the 500n if i were buying only one reel.
What is your reasoning may I ask?

I'm 6`6, my hadn't aren't enormous but they are bigger, so that might be a benefit if i get the 600nn. I do want to be able to be versatile and fish in the 600s+. Should I spool it with he 14# firefly recommended earlier, or the 30# yozuri superbraid should would be the best coverage? I understand the deeper you go, the thinner the line the better to prevent bowing.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
If you're 6'6, go for the 600nn, you'll be just fine

Reactions: tugasangler

jowo

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 9, 2004
Woodland Hills
Name
Johnny
Boat
Sold
Grabbed both rods when they came out and have only gotten them into a few medium sized yellowtail (westcoast). I've mostly fished the 8'0" MH with an Ocea 2000NRHG, Valiant 300 and 500N2. Unlike Benny, I really like the lower gear once in the "grind" mode from down deep. :-)

I'm really looking forward to testing the 7'8" H on some bigger Yellows at Colonet and then the bluefin when they're back up this way. Will likely run Penn Torque 25NLD2 (w Tiburon handle) or even the 40NLD2 if jigging for those 60-120lbers.

Here's one on the 6'8" Levitate for reference to what I'm typically targeting out here.
View attachment 1100046
What model levitate?

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
What is your reasoning may I ask?

I'm 6`6, my hadn't aren't enormous but they are bigger, so that might be a benefit if i get the 600nn. I do want to be able to be versatile and fish in the 600s+. Should I spool it with he 14# firefly recommended earlier, or the 30# yozuri superbraid should would be the best coverage? I understand the deeper you go, the thinner the line the better to prevent bowing.
At 6'6 maybe the 500n is like a Mini Cooper. Go with what fits best.

Reactions: benwah22

MAG0121

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
Thx! Did it feel like it handles it easily? Over powered, under powered, or just right?
I wouldn't say it's ever "easy" to catch yellows on SPJ rods, but handled correctly it was very doable. On this trip I caught fish up to 45lbs on conventional gear, all of them from about 250-300ft down. They were all bruisers, but after a while they all seemed to take about the same effort. As you can see from the photo below, the key when hooked up on SPJ rod is to keep the tip pointed down (never above the horizontal line), which a lot of people don't follow when using these for smaller rockfish and lings out west. Point it down and straight pull with short power pumps as necessary and the fish eventually surfaces. You know the drill, it's all technique...

71D027DD-9E0D-467A-83A4-588F3042D024.JPG

Last edited:

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
Might as well just get a small electric reel and winch them up, I’m pretty sure they have sizes that would go with the rod. Good luck to you guys, pointing the rod at the fish is not for me.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
The rod in MAG's picture is a Levitate 68-3, not the Innovate. Just for clarity.

Big.B

Dec 13, 2019
Miami Fl
Name
Brandon
Boat
Mako
So I ordered the 600nn and reserved both the innovates from capt harry since I live close to them.

1. Should I spool it with the 14# firefly? I want to be able to deep drop when the current allows it, but still fish all other depths

2. I'm also having trouble finding jigs to buy that are over 300g to use on the 78. Any good website recommendations ? I know SFC are great, expensive, jigs. Might get a handful just to have them, but any other brands and styles and where to get them ?

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
So I ordered the 600nn and reserved both the innovates from capt harry since I live close to them.

1. Should I spool it with the 14# firefly? I want to be able to deep drop when the current allows it, but still fish all other depths

2. I'm also having trouble finding jigs to buy that are over 300g to use on the 78. Any good website recommendations ? I know SFC are great, expensive, jigs. Might get a handful just to have them, but any other brands and styles and where to get them ?
Rayscustomworks in Melbourne, Fl. has the Sea Falcon Deep Neo and Super Drain jigs in sizes up to 400g. They may have a few Super Drains in 500g also. They also have the Z Slow jigs up to 350g. If you want jigs at about $10.00 or so each, look up jigsrigsandstuff. They sell hammered diamond jigs in all sizes - from 1-32 oz., I believe. The 16 and 20 oz. diamond jigs might be good in deep water and they sell all of their diamond jigs in silver, gold and glow colors. I take the gold jigs and glue gold glitter to them and they look really bright after I do that. Good luck with your fishing!! Oops, one more thing. NLO jigs has their Fast Drop jigs in sizes up to 350g. The 350g size is $28.99 plus shipping, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: streetnfish

tugasangler

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 9, 2016
Virginia
Name
James
Boat
Yankee Capts

The deep jigs are where the line is drawn on where you can be cheap for jigs tbh ... also I’d spool it with 20lb . What BENNY any many gurus don’t always give themselves credit for is truly spending so much time with their tackle learning how to use it and it’s limits . Also such thin line is great when you’re on a personal boat. I’m guessing you won’t be on your personal boat. So 20-30lb will suit you better . You’ve got get away from wanting slow jigging to be cheap .. if you want cheap use bait brother .

Last edited:

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
The deep jigs are where the line is drawn on where you can be cheap for jigs tbh ... also I’d spool it with 20lb . What BENNY any many gurus don’t always give themselves credit for is truly spending so much time with their tackle learning how to use it and it’s limits . Also such thin line is great when you’re on a personal boat. I’m guessing you won’t be on your personal boat. So 20-30lb will suit you better . You’ve got get away from wanting slow jigging to be cheap .. if you want cheap use bait brother .
I spend 30-40 per doz on gogs. I usually spend more on bait than the jigs I lose.

wwen

Jig & Pop
Aug 19, 2014
La Costa/Carlsbad
Name
Edward
Boat
One day

About to enter medical school so got an idea of where you’re coming from. The innovate 80mh has been on my bucket list for a while and I will own one. It checks all the boxes for what I’m looking for. If it were me on your budget I’d at least get your reels second hand on the classified. You might even be able to get two
1) unless you’re primarily using the setup for deep dropping if you’re only getting one line, x2 on tugasangler. I’d get a “PE3” 30lb JBraid or Yozuri or 20lb ProSpec Metered especially if you’re not very comfortable with friction knots like FG and PR, there’s a slight learning curve and theres some really nice sized btm fish in FL. Keep in mind that different brand lb test can be drastically different. Also I strongly prefer metered for jigging so I know how much off the btm I am when I get bit. I prefer the Jbraid cuz it’s smoother, 8 strand and metered. Every batch of line will vary sometimes by a lot. I sent in 30lb Jbraid samples to get tested, two broke at 49lbs but some breaks and others at 59lb. Here’s a very useful spreadsheet for choosing lines:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0rt7cbdccq2on7/Latest Braid Test.xlsx?dl=0

2) for 300+g jigs, ones mentioned before NLO. NLO is unique in that they use actual baitfish images. Sea Falcon & FCL labo are great too. For readily available & inexpensive, Ocean Cat jigs on Amazon get to your door in one day , have nice colors many sizes and come with decent hooks, maybe change em if you’re targeting really big fish. JiggingWorld is good too have many sizes. Getting a UV flashlight really brightens up glow in the dark, which I like to use when overcast or very deep. During bright days I’ve had the best luck with pink, silver and blue. I like the zebra or glow stripe color combos

I’ve never fished in FL but from my experience bottom fishing , Id choose madai, plastics and inichiku for other styles of lures- sometimes draw bites when jigs fail for me. But jigs are more fun to me so usually what I drop first to cover more water column quicker. Check out JiggingWorld & Hayabusa for these. Recently ordered from Arcadia Tackle which was a hell of a bargain, haven’t used their lures but believe they will work well. If you email them they can set you up with a custom order of specific colors sets
Check this out too:
http://www.okhaen.net/the-100-best-vertical-jigs

Last edited:

MrFish49

May 28, 2019
Duluth
Name
Eugene Lee
Boat
none
Well just ordered one from Capt Harrys, seems that the 80MH has become hard to come by now though. Got their last one they had.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Well just ordered one from Capt Harrys, seems that the 80MH has become hard to come by now though. Got their last one they had.
The rod has been a big success, and we've sold out of stock in the first run of the Innovate MH 8'0. Any stock in the stores is what will be available until we get round two. There are still some 7'8H models left from the first run.

Over 200 rods sold within 3 months of launch, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support from everyone. It means so much to me.

Thank you.

Reactions: tugasangler

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Yes, full lineup

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Glad I preordered. Congrats Benny, you crafted a best seller.
Confirmed that Innovate 8'0 MH restock will be shipping first week of February!