INNOVATE SPJ - Designed for Head Boats

Sep 22, 2017
ny
Name
john smith
Boat
my missy
Benny - perhaps I missed it....but what line was spooled on the reel...and how deep was the water?

I'm following this thread - anybody have opinions on fishing line recommendations? I just purchased an Innovate - and I'm looking for opinions on which line I should put on my new Accurate BV-500N?

I'll be fishing in the North East US for - Cod/Haddock/Deep water Fluke (summer flounder)/maybe Black Sea Bass - This type of fishing can usually require 20oz of lead due to the current ripping through. The depths can vary from say...40ft to 300ft/Deep from party boats. The reels I have set up for this new Innovate rod are:

Trinidad 12A - 15lbs of Daiwa Grand braid (~300yds of 15lbs + 100-200 or so yds of 30lbs braid backing)

Trinidad 14A - 40lbs braid (probably won't use this)
Trinidad 16A - 50lbs braid (probably won't use this)

Accurate BV-300 - 300yds of 30lbs Daiwa Grand braid

Accurate BV-500N - brand new - no line.

Last few years...I've been scaling down my braid selections on my reels. From the research I've done (I could be completey wrong) - braid marketed in the US at least by most of the major manufactures, will market their braid as a "minimum" breaking point...or maybe easier said is powerpro and J-Braid rated at 30lbs will break at +40lbs (sure...i know there are other variables in here). Scaling down the line diameter...I've realized has quite an impact when the current is moving quickly....it scopes out less

I'm thinking of going with the BV-500N in either an 8 or 9 carrier braid rated at 20lbs or 30lbs.....and I can't make up my mind. I wouldn't mind if I could do this by purchashing a 500yd spool of something...I kinda like 500yds of line because...if I ever get cut off in 300 ft of water.....i just have an extra cushion of line to fall back on.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Before this trip I switched out my reels to YoZuri super braid, 30lb. It's a 4 stand line and it is NOT soft. However, it's unbelievably strong, and after this most recent trip, I have 100% confidence in it.

It's slightly thinner than 30lb jbraid. You stay vertical well.

Generally, I get just north of 300 yards of 30 Jbraid on the Valiant 300, and 500 yards on the 500n. With YoZuri the 300 took 375 yards, and the 500n was closer to 600.

On my 600nn I generally use 14lb Fireline. I get between 1000 and 1100 yards on them.

As for the Grouper, the combo was Innovate MH, Valiant 500n, 30lb YoZuri Super Braid, 50lb AFTCO Saiko 50lb fluoro leader, 250g jig

Reactions: tugasangler

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
You may already have the skill below mastered but to guys at the start of the learning curve it will be worth consideration.

As mentioned above and in several SPJ threads using the lighter 30 or even 20 lb spectra has distinct advantages. Personally like the 30 as the food chain contains slugs that will send you to school.

Choice of spectra is important but
that connection between the spectra and your leader is one of the keys to success. The lighter you go and as your drag settings get closer and closer the the ABS of your spectra the more important that join becomes. There are very few join knots that are acceptable. You need a join of at least 90%+ of ABS of the spectra or the leader which ever is the lightest. The absolute best from extensive testing is the PR knot. It is super slim and meets the
90%+ requirement. The FG knot runs a close second. But the PR knot is more consistent. The PR knot requires some practice. At first you will think your time is being wasted, but tie it 5X a day for a week and you muscle memory will be super tuned, you will become a
PR professional. :-)(PR= Page Ranking). This knot requires a
Bobbin Tool. They can run from $35 to $75. They are slick tools. Or an inexpensive fly tying bobbin and a cheap spool of thread to wind the spectra on. For tension just wrap the spectra 3X around a support wire and you are good to go. Your choice.

Don't want to sound dogmatic or come across as dictatorial but that join is super critical and from much testing the PR knot is your best choice.
My .37 cents worth for your consideration.
Walt
IMG_0604.JPG

Last edited:

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
The innovate is a pleasure to fish. I have used it on a few trips and find it easier to fish than the levitate on big boats. It casts better than the levitate. The slightly larger guides takes the fear out of throwing up current. The action of the rod is really amazing at the price. I do wonder about the "hard work" that went into testing this rod. I just see a guy smiling alot with good fish.

tugasangler

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 9, 2016
Virginia
Name
James
Boat
Yankee Capts
The innovate is a pleasure to fish. I have used it on a few trips and find it easier to fish than the levitate on big boats. It casts better than the levitate. The slightly larger guides takes the fear out of throwing up current. The action of the rod is really amazing at the price. I do wonder about the "hard work" that went into testing this rod. I just see a guy smiling alot with good fish.
lmao when I was testing it this summer I was exactly that guy you described . Only thing I wished it had at that time was some foam on the foregrip but even then it was a spectacular rod .
54497C08-495C-4091-9158-ED0FDDD0E607.jpeg

Big.B

Dec 13, 2019
Miami Fl
Name
Brandon
Boat
Mako
would it be reasonable to get the 600nn and use it on both the 78 and the 80? Cost for me is the biggest factor, and I can possibly entertain the idea of getting 2 rods and 1 reel but not 2 reels and 2 rods.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
would it be reasonable to get the 600nn and use it on both the 78 and the 80? Cost for me is the biggest factor, and I can possibly entertain the idea of getting 2 rods and 1 reel but not 2 reels and 2 rods.
You could for sure do that. Some people think the 600nn is a little tall for their liking, so if you're not routinely fishing over 600ft, or you (like me) don't have gigantic hands, the 500n may be a better option for personal comfort. See how they feel in your hand and go with what will best suit your needs.

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
I use a Shimano Torium16 HGA (fast retrieve) reel on my slow pitch rods. It's a little heavier than the Accurate Valiant or Tern but it feels solid and I don't mind the extra weight of the reel, at least not at this time. I think the Torium 16 retails for $229.95 and I bought each of mine for about $190.00. The Torium 16 was a recommended reel on the Yankee Capts website and it seems to me like a good way to go if you don't want to spend $300, $500 or more $$ for a reel. BTW, Capt. Harry's still has the Gravitate G-3 on sale for $169.95. For about $500.00 you can get a good rod, reel, braided line and maybe a spool of 50 lb. fluorocarbon. The jigs, split ring pliers, braid cutters and PR knot bobbin might cost you almost that much more, depending on what and how much you buy. Good luck, my 360 tuna friend. I'm a newbie at this too and I had a good time on my first time slow pitchin'. I hope you do too.

Last edited:

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
I'd go with the 500n if i were buying only one reel.

Reactions: yessokk and jonhjax

MAG0121

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
Grabbed both rods when they came out and have only gotten them into a few medium sized yellowtail (westcoast). I've mostly fished the 8'0" MH with an Ocea 2000NRHG, Valiant 300 and 500N2. Unlike Benny, I really like the lower gear once in the "grind" mode from down deep. :-)

I'm really looking forward to testing the 7'8" H on some bigger Yellows at Colonet and then the bluefin when they're back up this way. Will likely run Penn Torque 25NLD2 (w Tiburon handle) or even the 40NLD2 if jigging for those 60-120lbers.

Here's one on the 6'8" Levitate for reference to what I'm typically targeting out here.
8E3F73C6-82D7-4013-A155-9F3299AED5AF.JPG

Last edited:

Big.B

Dec 13, 2019
Miami Fl
Name
Brandon
Boat
Mako
I'd go with the 500n if i were buying only one reel.
What is your reasoning may I ask?

I'm 6`6, my hadn't aren't enormous but they are bigger, so that might be a benefit if i get the 600nn. I do want to be able to be versatile and fish in the 600s+. Should I spool it with he 14# firefly recommended earlier, or the 30# yozuri superbraid should would be the best coverage? I understand the deeper you go, the thinner the line the better to prevent bowing.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
If you're 6'6, go for the 600nn, you'll be just fine

Reactions: tugasangler

jowo

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 9, 2004
Woodland Hills
Name
Johnny
Boat
Sold
Grabbed both rods when they came out and have only gotten them into a few medium sized yellowtail (westcoast). I've mostly fished the 8'0" MH with an Ocea 2000NRHG, Valiant 300 and 500N2. Unlike Benny, I really like the lower gear once in the "grind" mode from down deep. :-)

I'm really looking forward to testing the 7'8" H on some bigger Yellows at Colonet and then the bluefin when they're back up this way. Will likely run Penn Torque 25NLD2 (w Tiburon handle) or even the 40NLD2 if jigging for those 60-120lbers.

Here's one on the 6'8" Levitate for reference to what I'm typically targeting out here.
View attachment 1100046
What model levitate?

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
What is your reasoning may I ask?

I'm 6`6, my hadn't aren't enormous but they are bigger, so that might be a benefit if i get the 600nn. I do want to be able to be versatile and fish in the 600s+. Should I spool it with he 14# firefly recommended earlier, or the 30# yozuri superbraid should would be the best coverage? I understand the deeper you go, the thinner the line the better to prevent bowing.
At 6'6 maybe the 500n is like a Mini Cooper. Go with what fits best.

Reactions: benwah22

MAG0121

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
Thx! Did it feel like it handles it easily? Over powered, under powered, or just right?
I wouldn't say it's ever "easy" to catch yellows on SPJ rods, but handled correctly it was very doable. On this trip I caught fish up to 45lbs on conventional gear, all of them from about 250-300ft down. They were all bruisers, but after a while they all seemed to take about the same effort. As you can see from the photo below, the key when hooked up on SPJ rod is to keep the tip pointed down (never above the horizontal line), which a lot of people don't follow when using these for smaller rockfish and lings out west. Point it down and straight pull with short power pumps as necessary and the fish eventually surfaces. You know the drill, it's all technique...

71D027DD-9E0D-467A-83A4-588F3042D024.JPG

Last edited:

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
Might as well just get a small electric reel and winch them up, I’m pretty sure they have sizes that would go with the rod. Good luck to you guys, pointing the rod at the fish is not for me.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
The rod in MAG's picture is a Levitate 68-3, not the Innovate. Just for clarity.

Big.B

Dec 13, 2019
Miami Fl
Name
Brandon
Boat
Mako
So I ordered the 600nn and reserved both the innovates from capt harry since I live close to them.

1. Should I spool it with the 14# firefly? I want to be able to deep drop when the current allows it, but still fish all other depths

2. I'm also having trouble finding jigs to buy that are over 300g to use on the 78. Any good website recommendations ? I know SFC are great, expensive, jigs. Might get a handful just to have them, but any other brands and styles and where to get them ?