Info on Fishing New Zealand

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand Fishing Reports' started by eightmd, Dec 23, 2017.

1. eightmd

eightmd Newbie

Name:
    Doal
    Boat:
    17' Nitro
    I've been to New Zealand a couple of times and I need to go again around next November, their summer. I have never been fishing there and I want to go fishing a couple of times. Deep sea fishing is what I do but I might also look at some lake or stream fishing.

Does anyone have any experience down there? Like where is the best place to go ocean fishing? I'll be somewhat close to Wellington but if it's better in the south island I can go there. Or if Auckland is better I can go up there also.

I'm interested to see if anyone has suggestions.

2. Aliboy

Aliboy Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    44 Warwick Gamefisher
    It depends on what you are after. South Island for some fantastic trout fishing but not too much else in November. Wellington has limited fishing options for the tourist angler but there are trout and sea fishing options, but probably not the best ones you can get. Maybe a Hapuka (Groper) trip out into Cook Straight between the two islands. Auckland has some fantastic fishing for red Snapper in November as well as some Yellowtail Kingfish action. Our game season for tuna/marlin etc doesn't really start until Jan and is best Feb - Apr. This action is best found north of Auckland although there are options further south along the East Coast. Nothing out of Wellington or the South Island though. There is a very good Bluefin Tuna fishery ~Sept on the northern/mid west coast of the South Island with 500lb fish pretty common but getting the timing for that correct might be challenging as it is very weather dependent. If you are coming by Auckland I can probably hook you up with a trip (I run a charter operation in Auckland).

3. eightmd

eightmd Newbie

Name:
    Doal
    Boat:
    17' Nitro
    Thanks for your reply. I will be coming the end of Nov - first of Dec. because my daughter is graduating then from Massey. If Auckland is a good place to fish I can spend of few days there fishing before I go down to see here in Palmy North. I'm not that enamored with Marlin but I would like to catch some of those big kingfish. Not planning on bring any fish back.

Does your charter operation have a website?
    Thanks

4. Aliboy

Aliboy Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    44 Warwick Gamefisher
    We have a new website that is just about to be released where we have consolidated our fishing activities into one site. We have been providing bare-boat hire, cruises and fishing trips for over 15 years now, but have recently consolidated our faster growing fishing activities under one brand.The pre-release site is visible at www.fishingauckland.co.nz. There are still some images etc in the non-fishing sections from the website template that our IT guys are yet to remove and the booking system interface is not properly operational yet but there is plenty of information in the fishing sections already.
    If your primary target is Yellowtail Kingfish (Kingi's) however I would look at one of the charters out of Tairua/Whitianga, or Whakatane if you can get to one of those places (Coromandel and Bay of Plenty). We get plenty of Kingfish around Auckland but the larger specimens tend to come from further north or one of the those places I mentioned above. A 25lb Kingi is a reasonable fish around Auckland, a 40lb fish is quite a good fish, and a 50lb+ fish happens less often. On the other hand we have one of NZ's great Snapper fisheries right at our door here in Auckland and that tends to take much of the local focus as they are fantastic eating. In the other places I mentioned a 40lb fish would be normal and something over 65lb would be a good fish. Whilst the record Kingi is over 100lb a fish around 80lb would be a fish of a lifetime for most anglers these days.
    If you are in Auckland and want to pop out one evening for an evening Snapper fish to grab some tasty fresh fish I can probably sort something out for you. If you want to do a dedicated Kingfish charter from Auckland that is also easy to arrange but will probably involve hiring the whole boat as there aren't usually many options for joining a group on a dedicated Kingfish trip out of Auckland. If that is what you decide to do however I can pass you on a contact who might be able to help.

5. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    I have fished with Rick Pollock out of Whakatane on his PURSUIT. I highly recommend it and got this 84# Yellow Tail. It was really tough to get a bait through the 40# rats!

NZ_Auckland_2_250.jpg

karlk1125 likes this.
  6. Aliboy

Aliboy Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    44 Warwick Gamefisher
    eightmd- I am a moderator on the NZ fishing forum you just posted on.Keep some discussion going on there and you may get someone offer you a ride when you are visiting. Many overseas visitors have picked up offers of a ride from visiting that forum.

7. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  8. eightmd

eightmd Newbie

Name:
    Doal
    Boat:
    17' Nitro
    Thanks guys. I got almost a year to sort this all out. Maybe I'll look into some stream fishing also. Thanks

9. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom schlauch
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Make sure you know exactly what is open at the time of the year when you will be there.I did not and not a lot open on the FW side.Tom

10. Aliboy

Aliboy Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    44 Warwick Gamefisher
    Most areas ares open for FW fishing in November. 1st of October is opening day for much of the FW fishing.
    Peak fishing period across both fresh and salt water in NZ is mostly Feb/Mar/Apr. There are excellent fishing periods for specific areas/species outside this but if you want a wide ranging fishing experience in the best weather window Feb/Mar is the best across the board time and April is still excellent but getting a little cooler (sweatshirt time mornings and evenings). Big trout rising to dry fly in the clear water rivers for the purists, Marlin/Tuna/Spearfish/Shark/Mahimahi etc for the offshore guys, still excellent for Yellowtail Kingfish along large sections of the coast and plenty of beautiful eating fish to be caught whilst chasing your dream fish.
    Some other key peak periods/species are May - Aug for large Broadbill (but they are present year around as well), Aug/Sept for the big Bluefin Tuna run out around the deep water trawlers, Nov - Apr for the Salmon runs (Alaska is a much better destination for Salmon though), Dec - Jan for Trout rising to beetle hatches (and cicadas). Large Yellowtail Kingfish can be targeted all year around on offshore trips but are generally available closer to shore Dec - Apr. There is more but this is a general overview of our key fishing periods. A related key period is the Deer 'roar' (rut) for the hunters. This is generally April/May for the more common species here. Gamebird shooting (duck. pheasant swan quail and some geese) is mostly May - Jul. Saltwater fishing is unlicensed, FW is generally approx $100 for a license (locals and tourist the same price) but you may need more than 1 license depending on how many areas you fish and which ones. Deer/Chamois/Thar/Goat etc unlicensed, and game birds around that $100 figure again.

11. Orca

Orca シャチ, 鯱

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    2359 Trophy, Irene Sea
    I second Rick on the Pursuit out of Whakatane. great skipper and boat White Island Kingies are killer. Be aware minimum keeper size is 39 " fork length . This is a self imposed size limit by the sport boats out of Whakatane to preserve their fishery.