killerfin

You fight like a girl !!!
Sep 6, 2006
santa ana
Name
Felipe
Boat
Your Mama
I'm heading down to San Bruno baja Sur next Friday and was wondering how the road condition is? I was down there in Dec and road was ok with a few areas with really bad pot holes. Any info would be great.

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats

elskel

Apr 15, 2005
Laguna Beach CA / El Pescadero BCS
Name
Brian Knott
Boat
21' Baja Bayrunner
I drove up from Southern Baja a couple of weeks ago. Roads are pretty good.Construction Santo Tomas area, might have to wait 20-25min for pilot vehicle. Few potholes Catavina area, South of Catavina new pavement. Few pot holes North of Guerrero Negro. None of them are too big. All in all, roads are good. Didn't drive Hwy. 5.

elskel

Apr 15, 2005
Laguna Beach CA / El Pescadero BCS
Name
Brian Knott
Boat
21' Baja Bayrunner
Post by another guy couple of days ago:
Left Sunday at 6am.. we where going to go up on the 5 to mexicali.... we started on the 5 it was unreal how bad that road is.. many times we thought to ourselves are we on the right road?
Its dirt and rock road for hours.. and then there are over 8 bridges that have fallen and you drive around..... crazy experience.. I have know idea how someone with a boat and trailer can make it on this road...lol...
Crossing threw mexicali took 1 hour and 45 minutes.... not bad for a sunday....

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats

yakmandan

Well-Known "Member"
May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Sounds like they've never driven the 5 before
We drove through the day after the first hurricane in October going south and during the 2nd hurricane going north it was bad then. The bypasses around washed out bridges hadn't even been built yet.
Lots of people with boats have gone through there lately and the pangaros are doing it all the time. We are going down to Gonzaga in June with our boat. I remember back in the day when it used to be dirt from Puertecitos all the way to the 1 at Chapala and there were no bridges. And the 5 between San Felipe and Puertecitos was full of car sized pot holes. People were towing boats down there back then

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
Name
denis
Boat
deadhead luees
I was in Gonzaga. A month ago. Bridges are out from a bad hurricane but the dirt roads to bypass them were fine. It’s mexico. We had no problems at. All. You just don’t go 75 like the 5 in ca and you’ll be fine

Reactions: Captain Juan SQ

Captain Juan SQ

ARLETT DEL MAR.
May 14, 2008
San Quintin BCN mex.
Name
Captain Juan SQ.
Boat
parker 23/20.slaptail.
el hwy 1 esta muy Bueno felipe,sin miedo mi amigo.

Reactions: ARTURO

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
Vail, AZ
Name
Mike Nervik
Boat
74 Wellcraft Airslot 185
There were recent reports of Mex 5 NORTHBOUND from Gonzaga was blocked and the big bridge "detour", by a fully loaded semi tractor trailer that had slid off the hard surface...no body was getting around it and some had to go south past Coco's to Chapala and up the Mex1 havent seen any updates...stand by

Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Quickly, from the E. Cape. (I can't really call it an "update," because there's not much to add...)
TUES: drove from Gilroy, CA, to San Felipe. I've only crossed (tj, or Mexicali) at 6 am. Crossing the border at 5pm was surprisingly quick and easy! Traffic and road were great.
WED: road to (just north of) Gonzaga is still fucked. There are signs of attempts to begin to repair things? But... It'll be years. And hopefully they take their time, and do it right. I still like it better than TJ/Ensenada....
From Gonzaga to Hwy1 (Chapala) is better than ever, took me just over an hour, and I was transporting a fancy mirror, so didn't go wholly hardcore. Made it to Loreto in plenty of time to watch the Warriors get hammered, jaja!
THURS: Standard six hours to the E. Cape. There's still work north of La Paz -- I'm hoping fresh blacktop prevents rust, because my truck's coated, jaja! -- but no diversions or delays.
Saludos, safe travels, -d