dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    so my 2014 2500hd started throwing check engine code. I was able to check it with a reader and it showed a p22dd code which is for your def tank heater. after searching the interwebs i saw where gm has a service notice that extends the warranty for this heater to 10years or 120,000 miles. I called the dealer to check the validity of this and was told, yes thats true. I made an appointment and the truck was fixed that day. Just hope this may help someone else.

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Did they replace the tank also?
    I had the same thing last year...they replaced the def tank et cetera on my 2013. Warranty worked. Only problem I've had with the truck.

Reactions: WaveDancer

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Had that problem on my 2015, at 70-some thousand miles. Haven’t had that particular issue in the 2016 I have now, but the DEF level has been stuck at 24% since August, when I filled it after getting the “1,000 miles DEF range” message.

I’ve driven almost 10,000 miles since. I assumed it was still using def, but I was only able to add 1 gallon last month when I tried to fill. I used to put 5 gallons in it every 7-8000 miles.

No codes, no CEL, no detectable difference in drive-ability. I haven’t been too worried about taking the time to get it “Fixed.” 🤷🏼‍♂️

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Did they replace the tank also?
    I had the same thing last year...they replaced the def tank et cetera on my 2013. Warranty worked. Only problem I've had with the truck.

I’m pretty sure that replacing the tank is the only way to replace the heater.

eldplanko

got the skunk off
    Jun 18, 2012
    Ballard
    Name
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat
    Floater
    Does GM cover spiders in the tank?

510E4D1D-4F4A-42A6-8D67-5E4BF5EFDCE5.jpeg

Cohoho

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 19, 2010
    Lake Tapps, Washington
    Name
    Cohoho
    Boat
    COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
    Mine went out on my 2015 at 50K. Punted Coho or Ryan, did you delete yourself, is it an easy process? Seems pretty straight forward on the tank removal, but what about the computer delete stuff so it doesn't recognize the DEF system?

Cant stand that big ass ugly tank under the frame rails and rather do without buying 3 gallons every 10 or so fill ups...

Last edited:

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Mine went out on my 2015 at 50K. Punted Coho or Ryan, did you delete yourself, is it an easy process? Seems pretty straight forward on the tank removal, but what about the computer delete stuff so it doesn't recognize the DEF system?

Cant stand that big ass ugly tank under the frame rails and rather do without buying 3 gallons every 10 or so fill ups...

super easy. Hardest part is getting the parts because of govt crackdown. You could actually make the kit yourself if you wanted to it really only involves (at least on my Ford) a couple of block off plates, some hose and a straight pipe.

no need to remove the tank. Just leave it there.

then You just need a tune to make the computer disregard those circuits

MarkColeman

Boat Slave
    Advertiser
    May 20, 2010
    Westport, Snoqualmie, Los Suenos
    www.AllWashingtonFishing.com
    Name
    Mark Coleman
    Boat
    16' Guide, 20' Scout, 29’ Defiance’s Elite, Ultra, Express Style, 31' Luhrs, 42’ Pilothouse
    What’s DEF?

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 29, 2013
    Everett, WA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    What’s DEF?

Great question. A bit of googling and I found out that a few years back, truck makers noticed that a certain set of their customers were willing to pay a huge price premium for a less reliable product because it “lasts longer and costs less to run”, neither which were true. Ever since, the manufacturers have been seeing how far they can push these customers by adding things that don’t last and cost a lot. A few years back they made the customers pee into the exhaust! Next they want to make the windshields opaque so the customers will need to drive with their heads out the window.

It’s truly a fascinating set of customers to study.

Reactions: MarkColeman

MarkColeman

Boat Slave
    Advertiser
    May 20, 2010
    Westport, Snoqualmie, Los Suenos
    www.AllWashingtonFishing.com
    Name
    Mark Coleman
    Boat
    16' Guide, 20' Scout, 29’ Defiance’s Elite, Ultra, Express Style, 31' Luhrs, 42’ Pilothouse
    Great question. A bit of googling and I found out that a few years back, truck makers noticed that a certain set of their customers were willing to pay a huge price premium for a less reliable product because it “lasts longer and costs less to run”, neither which were true. Ever since, the manufacturers have been seeing how far they can push these customers by adding things that don’t last and cost a lot. A few years back they made the customers pee into the exhaust! Next they want to make the windshields opaque so the customers will need to drive with their heads out the window.

It’s truly a fascinating set of customers to study.

God that’s a great response!
    Yeah I’m glad I’m driving one relatively pre-bullshit diesel truck, and the other a completely pre-bullshit diesel truck.

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
    buckley wa
    Name
    josh
    Boat
    Yes
    Seems like this def tank on the newer trucks is taking the place of the old LB7 duramax injectors. Which coincidentally is my other vehicle.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    With our current administration wingnuts you guys with the older truck will probably have to start retrofitting DEF tanks into them.
    can i just piss in a coke bottle and zip tie it to my 7.3?