Offshore Inflatable boat yellowtail dana point 8/22

Dec 13, 2015
Irvine, California
Name
sebastian
Boat
float tube
Late report from Sunday 8/22, but thought I'd share anyways. My brother and I have been running our 12.5' inflatable this summer. Our previous 3 trips we ran offshore and found bluefin on all 3 trips, hooked one but it didn't stick. With all the reports of dorado and yellowtail moving up we figured we'd give it a shot. While we definitely don't have a proper rig for offshore fishing, we do have all the necessary safety gear and have managed to stay fairly close to home.

Pulled away from the ramp at 7:30am and got our makeshift bait tank ready, which consists of a big 50-quart cooler with two 1.5V aerators ran through the bottom. The bait definitely will get beat up throughout the day, but it definitely keeps them alive. Picked up a nice 1/2 scoop and headed out.

It was grease calm as we started driving, so we decided to point it south of the 267, in the direction of the 209 (we didn't actually go that far). The wind came up early and progressively increased, which made it incredibly hard to spot kelp paddies. Lots of fish being caught on the radio so we tried to stick it out and find a paddy. Water temp was warm, around 73 in most spots.

Once we finally found a small paddy in the zone, we made 2 quick drifts for nothing. Figured no one was home, so I burned back my nose-hooked sardine to the boat and got hammered. I'm guessing it was a yellowtail, as the fish ripped a good amount of drag off my reel. Fish popped off so I reeled up my line to see my hook (Owner size 4) had totally straightened. I was fishing a fairly light drag, so I'm not too sure what happened there. Drifted the paddy a few more times and slow-trolled a sardine for nothing.

After another hour or two it was getting pretty bumpy, so we decided to zig-zag towards home while still looking for kelps. As it goes, I've been standing up and holding a rope in the bow looking for 6+ hours looking for kelps, and my brother spots the next one 30 feet from the boat while sitting down and driving.

This one was tiny and we didn't have much expectation for fish on it. Got baited up, and within 5 seconds my brother says he's bit and reels into a fish. Seeing what happened to my fish earlier, his drag was set pretty light and the fish took advantage, pulling a good amount of line off his 300 size baitcaster. After a good 5 minute fight he got the fish to color, but he wasn't quite done yet, and took two more quick runs just out of gaff range. Eventually, he laid it out and I stuck it with the gaff and boated a nice 12# yellowtail, the first one in our boat!

We tried to relocate the paddy but weren't able to with all of the chop on the water. Fished one more on the way in and marked a good school of fish, tried chumming our remaining bait but couldn't get them to go. Got back safely to the harbor and got some more ice for our fish, overall great day on the water!

1630372204692.png

Our fish also left us a surprise on the deck of our boat:

1630372401451.png

luckyjohn

Jun 1, 2015
Name
john r westersten
Boat
Get Reel Pursuit 3000
on a side note.. although it looks dorky, your safety equipment will only save you if your wearing it and whatever else you need is attached to you. once the wind and swell comes up. put it on.....

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Hell ya...Great post/pic/info. Nice Yellow!!
    One be MoBetta than none. Cool surprise!
    PS Told Tunaslam Cory and bud Lal to get
    out on Lal's Rubber Ducky for Bluefin.
    News at 11. LOL LOL

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
    May 8, 2008
    Dana Point CA
    Name
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat
    1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
    Nice. You guys have it figured out. I see a trifecta tuna, Dorado, and Yellowtail in your future.

Upvote 0

Buddyb

Capt. Crabapple
    Aug 25, 2005
    Tustin
    Name
    Buddy
    Boat
    14' Evenrude "Polished Turd"
    well done

Upvote 0

Tin Pangas

Skipper
    Aug 28, 2010
    Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    37 Tollycraft
    Late report from Sunday 8/22, but thought I'd share anyways. My brother and I have been running our 12.5' inflatable this summer. Our previous 3 trips we ran offshore and found bluefin on all 3 trips, hooked one but it didn't stick. With all the reports of dorado and yellowtail moving up we figured we'd give it a shot. While we definitely don't have a proper rig for offshore fishing, we do have all the necessary safety gear and have managed to stay fairly close to home.

Pulled away from the ramp at 7:30am and got our makeshift bait tank ready, which consists of a big 50-quart cooler with two 1.5V aerators ran through the bottom. The bait definitely will get beat up throughout the day, but it definitely keeps them alive. Picked up a nice 1/2 scoop and headed out.

It was grease calm as we started driving, so we decided to point it south of the 267, in the direction of the 209 (we didn't actually go that far). The wind came up early and progressively increased, which made it incredibly hard to spot kelp paddies. Lots of fish being caught on the radio so we tried to stick it out and find a paddy. Water temp was warm, around 73 in most spots.

Once we finally found a small paddy in the zone, we made 2 quick drifts for nothing. Figured no one was home, so I burned back my nose-hooked sardine to the boat and got hammered. I'm guessing it was a yellowtail, as the fish ripped a good amount of drag off my reel. Fish popped off so I reeled up my line to see my hook (Owner size 4) had totally straightened. I was fishing a fairly light drag, so I'm not too sure what happened there. Drifted the paddy a few more times and slow-trolled a sardine for nothing.

After another hour or two it was getting pretty bumpy, so we decided to zig-zag towards home while still looking for kelps. As it goes, I've been standing up and holding a rope in the bow looking for 6+ hours looking for kelps, and my brother spots the next one 30 feet from the boat while sitting down and driving.

This one was tiny and we didn't have much expectation for fish on it. Got baited up, and within 5 seconds my brother says he's bit and reels into a fish. Seeing what happened to my fish earlier, his drag was set pretty light and the fish took advantage, pulling a good amount of line off his 300 size baitcaster. After a good 5 minute fight he got the fish to color, but he wasn't quite done yet, and took two more quick runs just out of gaff range. Eventually, he laid it out and I stuck it with the gaff and boated a nice 12# yellowtail, the first one in our boat!

We tried to relocate the paddy but weren't able to with all of the chop on the water. Fished one more on the way in and marked a good school of fish, tried chumming our remaining bait but couldn't get them to go. Got back safely to the harbor and got some more ice for our fish, overall great day on the water!

View attachment 1314264

Our fish also left us a surprise on the deck of our boat:

View attachment 1314265
    cool baby flying fish!!!

Upvote 0
    Jun 10, 2004
    Jamul
    Name
    used to fish
    Boat
    17 Aquasport
    Very cool,
    I fished a 12' RIB for 3 years and had a blast. Caught my PB yellow on that rib, I agree the gaff is the most important thing on the boat, I got used to pointing it up and coming under them since you are so close to the water its not that hard to do. I also was the only one to use the gaff.

Upvote 0

Bad-Rap

Sep 22, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    25' Farallon Pilothouse
    Nice YT catch on the inflatable. Your even up on us on bft, we haven't had even a bite on one off SD yet. Good job!

Upvote 0

woolybugger

Almost A Member
    Mar 7, 2006
    San pedro
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 1801 cc
    When i was in high school i fished a 14ft zodiac with a 50 hp hard made many 20-30 mile runs offshore and plugged it with yellows and dodos. I actually haven't been as successful yet on my parker center console.

Bring a patch kit i rolled off my zodiac once and my dive knife stuck out the sheath and sliced a tube. I was 20 miles out and the patch kit saved our ass.