Indy 3 day

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Playpenpete, May 6, 2019.

1. Playpenpete

Playpenpete Newbie

Name:
    Pete Medrano
    Boat:
    Playpen
    Just got back from my 3 day trip on the independance. Ill make it short no tuna seen hooked or landed.
    We left the landing Friday at two and had the Captain tell us about how there is more bluefin around then has been seen in long time. We saw the fleet driving and looking but very few drifting/fishing. It sounds like a few found a couple of fish that wanted to eat but most just looked and looked again. That being said, the Independance is a great boat with great service and if im going for a boat ride at least it ws a good one. Met lots of great people that i look forward to fishing with again. Boat ended with a few rat yellowtail, maybe 50ish. And that was it.

Cbaldwin, Larmo, muletrain and 4 others like this.
  2. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  3. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    Wow, tough trip.

4. Rich Fagner

Rich Fagner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    Patron
    Paid your dues on that one.

5. pkmallard

pkmallard Newbie

Name:
    P.
    Boat:
    ranger
    Brutal!

6. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    Ouch.

Way to be positive about the trip.

One_Leg likes this.
  7. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Expensive boat rides.....sucks, been there.

8. Playpenpete

Playpenpete Newbie

Name:
    Pete Medrano
    Boat:
    Playpen
    Yeah it sucks to pay top dollar for a boat ride but if i had pid budget price for boat ride i probably would have been really unhappy. Going out for a chance means you have to be out when the fish want to bite. The only true promise you should expect is that the crew will try hard to give you a chance and at that the Independence is above average. I drove 10 hours and took two vacation days for this chance and ill do it again as soon as i can line up the stars again.

9. Zika

Zika Chum-Master

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
    Wow !! Just wow

10. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    I bet if Jeff Debuys was running the boat, They would of caught some. It goes to show you what happens when you replace someone for less money and knowledge. Better get use to it, If that is the boat you ride on!!!!

11. la vida

la vida Now I love our Prezzz!!!

Name:
    Frank F
    Boat:
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Ya fishing sucks, catching is the best.
    I have this tattoo many times over.
    But also had so many best day on the water days. My favorite days in my life have been on the ocean.

Peg North likes this.
  12. Jkisda

Jkisda Newbie

Name:
    John Kerner
    Boat:
    Pulani
    Matt has been under Jeff’s wing for years and is an Excellent skipper! Fished with him (and Jeff) many times. He is persistent and very fishy. I was on last week’s 2.75 day and we were fortunate enough to find a good biting school and got a few. The Indy has a top notch crew and works damn hard to put everyone on fish. Bluefin fishing has no guarantees. Don’t blame the skipper!

gillygreen and jer dog like this.
  13. Long Beach Bob

Long Beach Bob Member

Name:
    Bob Ballew
    Boat:
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    Both captains know their game...The Bluefin are moving fast and are probably on the 43 or at SCI by now...Lots of captains complaining about how the fleet couldn't find the fish the last day or so..The crew of the Independence are top notch and will stay up all nite to get guys on a fish...just the nature of tuna chasing..

gillygreen and Peg North like this.
  14. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    I have fished with them both and everyone has their own opinion. Case closed.

15. Bob_NH

Bob_NH Newbie

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    N/A
    I’m in the business. For me, if the crew never said die, and other top boats did not score, it was simply a fish but not catch day. Hard to swallow but it does happen. Hang in there!

16. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Jeff was a fish killer on the Indy. But he's moved on. Matt has had some killer trips while running the boat and he will be running the boat on my November trip. Cant wait

17. BT3Steve

BT3Steve Wishin I was Fishin!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    I wish
    Great attitude! I'm on the Royal Star Memorial Day weekend 3 day and I'm thinking just like you. If we get em, great! If not, at least I'm on the water and traveling in style! Can't wait!

18. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    For the sake of time. The trip was a 2.75 day not a 3 day

Stoked you enjoyed your time away from land in lala ocean land. The scenery and food and company makes it all good. And nice weather. Great attitude

I do agree though slow trips do suck but the above sure makes then better imo

Tough trip. It generally happens to most of the best a few trips a year as the reporter already knows. On boats that fish over 250 days a year, slow trips are bound to happen. First wave of bft on the move and has not decided where to settle down for awhile before they move locations again and again. The fleet looses the fish and then relocates. Happens ever year

Tuna swim and travel very fast and do go down and play hide and seek

One time. Wads of dolphin packing almost straight yft cows. The bulk of the dolphin traveled 32 miles overnight. Took 1 1/4 days to relocate them. With approximitly 5 other boats fanned out looking for those dolphin carrying moomoofish

Good luck in the fishing department next trip

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  19. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Bummer on the timing! Like you say the Independence is a fun boat to fish on and the food and service off the hook!

20. Playpenpete

Playpenpete Newbie

Name:
    Pete Medrano
    Boat:
    Playpen
    2.75 day trip is afact so i guess ill take back .25 day if anybody else feels i am shorting the details. I was on the Indy in December and had a knock out time with the yellows and again the crew qas phenominal. I am booked again for a 8 day on the Indy for December and am already qaiting anxuously and will hopefully get out again before my December trip on the Indy. All sportboat captains have absolutely outrageous trips and days they gope to never see again. Thats part of the deal and the more experience they have the more days like the mentioned they will see. I for one feel grateful for the opportunity to fish with the Independance crew and all the other crews that give 100% to keep their customers a chance at some great fishing and when not catching try even harder!! I was in the business as well and know the pressure of not putting numbers on the boat as well as the feeling of being the highliner for the day and that is why a good crew will do everything they can to produce and satisfy.