Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
First of all I want to thank the captain and crew for a wonderful time on the 11 day Indy trip. Before I departed for my 6 hour drive to San Diego Judy informed everyone on the trip that the captain wanted to depart early. The red shirts pushed the carts down to the Indy around 7AM and we pushed away from the docks around 8AM. Watching the reports of some giants caught at the lower banks our captain had a heads up that we already had bait and we were headed to the Morgan bank to start the trip. On the way we found some smaller grade tuna and it gave everyone a chance to get there lines wet for an hour or so on not stop tuna on the chew. The4 next morning at 9AM the captain help a meeting to go over fishing big tuna. Lots of newbies on this trip that wanted to learn the ropes of fishing big tuna. When we arrived at Morgan bank there was some life around. We started fishing and it was not good at all the first day. Very little fish blowing up and nothing caught that day... it put a hamper on some of the passengers but having fished this area lots of times before I said the captain might give it a day more. The next day the fish were boiling around the boat but really hard to get a bite for most. I hooked the first fish in the mid 50's and brought him to the boat in no time. My very next bait I tossed out was gobbled up and this was a much bigger model. I looked at the guy standing next to me that has never done this type of fishing and ask if he wanted to take my hand off and he said hell yes. With the crews help in guiding him he was able to land a 203 LB yellowfin tuna. I watched him and he listen to the crew and did a great job. As the fish was coming over the rail he could not believe how big it was and gave everyone hi fives and thanked me. After many pictures he said he needed to take a break. After lunch was over a went back to fishing and hooked a monster of a fish. I have caught my share of cows and a few in the 280-288 mark. This fish was big and I put a bend in the rod to slow him down and after about a 400 yard run it was time to get some line back. I was in battle with this monster for around 2+ hours and he chewed though my line. I was really bummed out but this fish won the battle. I asked the crew and the captain if they might be able to guess how big it was. The captain said mid 3"s soda or maybe more. Will never know. I was taking a much needed rest and a guy hooked into a wahoo and it was in the high 40's. His fist ever wahoo. We fished that day and never got another bite. The captain came down and said the fish moved on and we tried another bank but it was dead. At dinner time the captain says were moving to fish the ridge. It was wide open smaller grade tuna with many being released back into the water. The tuna at the ridge we around 20-30LBS and everyone was happy to play around on 30lb line. There were no wahoo at the ridge and the water temp has come way down. When fishing the lower banks the fish our really shy and you must fish 80 or 100 LB to get bit. Its a gamble but if you fish 130 your chances go way down. In closing I want to thank everyone I shared the rail with. What a great group of guys and a big shout out to ED our chef on our trip.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Much respect for handing off that fish.

But now the word on the dock is that it is no big deal catching a cow since he did it on his first trip. :-)

Upvote 0

hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
Thanks for your excellent report Soda. The fishing was slow, but the trip really was GREAT!!!! Ed hit a home run in the galley every single day!!! A really great bunch of guys to fish with. With great company, great food and good friends, it’s really one of the best trips I’ve been on. I’ll get over the slow fishing. But it’s hard to beat people like soda, duke, bill, etc... etc...

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
Great write up Soda! Kudos on that generous hand off & condolences for the immortal "one that got away"! ALWAYS a pleasure to read your posts. Happy holidays, David.

Reactions: Soda Pop
Upvote 0

LEGALWISE

Almost A Member
Nov 17, 2011
VALENCIA,CA
Name
DON KLAHS
Boat
INDEPENDANCE
First of all I want to thank the captain and crew for a wonderful time on the 11 day Indy trip. Before I departed for my 6 hour drive to San Diego Judy informed everyone on the trip that the captain wanted to depart early. The red shirts pushed the carts down to the Indy around 7AM and we pushed away from the docks around 8AM. Watching the reports of some giants caught at the lower banks our captain had a heads up that we already had bait and we were headed to the Morgan bank to start the trip. On the way we found some smaller grade tuna and it gave everyone a chance to get there lines wet for an hour or so on not stop tuna on the chew. The4 next morning at 9AM the captain help a meeting to go over fishing big tuna. Lots of newbies on this trip that wanted to learn the ropes of fishing big tuna. When we arrived at Morgan bank there was some life around. We started fishing and it was not good at all the first day. Very little fish blowing up and nothing caught that day... it put a hamper on some of the passengers but having fished this area lots of times before I said the captain might give it a day more. The next day the fish were boiling around the boat but really hard to get a bite for most. I hooked the first fish in the mid 50's and brought him to the boat in no time. My very next bait I tossed out was gobbled up and this was a much bigger model. I looked at the guy standing next to me that has never done this type of fishing and ask if he wanted to take my hand off and he said hell yes. With the crews help in guiding him he was able to land a 203 LB yellowfin tuna. I watched him and he listen to the crew and did a great job. As the fish was coming over the rail he could not believe how big it was and gave everyone hi fives and thanked me. After many pictures he said he needed to take a break. After lunch was over a went back to fishing and hooked a monster of a fish. I have caught my share of cows and a few in the 280-288 mark. This fish was big and I put a bend in the rod to slow him down and after about a 400 yard run it was time to get some line back. I was in battle with this monster for around 2+ hours and he chewed though my line. I was really bummed out but this fish won the battle. I asked the crew and the captain if they might be able to guess how big it was. The captain said mid 3"s soda or maybe more. Will never know. I was taking a much needed rest and a guy hooked into a wahoo and it was in the high 40's. His fist ever wahoo. We fished that day and never got another bite. The captain came down and said the fish moved on and we tried another bank but it was dead. At dinner time the captain says were moving to fish the ridge. It was wide open smaller grade tuna with many being released back into the water. The tuna at the ridge we around 20-30LBS and everyone was happy to play around on 30lb line. There were no wahoo at the ridge and the water temp has come way down. When fishing the lower banks the fish our really shy and you must fish 80 or 100 LB to get bit. Its a gamble but if you fish 130 your chances go way down. In closing I want to thank everyone I shared the rail with. What a great group of guys and a big shout out to ED our chef on our trip.
Great report, Soda. Very nice of you to hand off that fish. Happy holidays.

Upvote 0

scott v

• Sep 3, 2011
    Rancho Santa Margarita
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Keep wishing
    I saw the post from the Indy showing your jackpot 50 lb yellowfin. Initial thought was that was a brutal trip. Then I read you hooked and handed a cow. So awesome of you.

I hope to fish long when my kids get a little older. Hopefully you are still fishing then so I can join a trip and learn the ropes.

Upvote 0