Gamefighter

I just need one...more!
Sep 12, 2011
Boulder, CO
Name
Valerie
Boat
any that I'm welcome on!
Let me put it this way, I live in Boulder, CO. I'm still dealing with home damage due to the mid-September "biblical-scale" flood, and now its snowing. Yes. It's snowing. All I know is 11 more days until my 10-day on the Indi !!! Not only am I experiencing the "week-before-fishing-buy-more-shit" phenomenon, now I don't even care if the wahoo are still biting -- just get me on that boat and on the sea where the water belongs!!

...thanks for listening...

While you're here, in my efforts to buy more shit, I just bought a Talica II 14 (to go with my 10 and 12). I want to fish 60# flouro or 50# if necessary (I already have a 50# Accurate set up). The question is whether I put 80lb or 65lb spectra on my shiny new Talica II 14, and whether I go hallow or solid. Any opinions?

IMG_1842s.jpgIMG_1841ss.jpgstreet_small.jpgIMG_8480.jpg

canyonman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
I feel your pain. My apartment was totaled prior to my 15 day last year I was able to get everything stabilized prior to departure and had a great trip. Enjoy

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Valerie, you're a fighter, keep the faith, baby. I've seen some of your pics from your trip reports.

I think you have a Talica16II. For me it would be filled to the brim with mostly 60 lb hollow but with about 50 yards of 80 lb hollow step spliced on the top. Capacity with the 60 lb and the 80 lb is just easier to work with.

ricogrande

May 22, 2010
Mud Bay, Wa. USA
Name
Fred
Boat
Vamoose
Being a long range noob, I can't give you any advise on the spectra. I can say that I look forward to meeting you on the Indy. I was signed up to go in Dec. but the trip was cancelled due to lack of interest. Judy found me a cancelation spot on your trip. I like the looks of it better anyway. I'm stoked being my first trip. Sorry to hear of the devastation at home. See you where the water belongs.

rickberg

Jul 2, 2009
saratoga ca
Name
rickberg
Boat
17 montauk bostin whaler
You have a great trip! I have a friend who works in Boulder, shes sent me a heap of photo's. The media's hardly covered the disaster.

qtrracer

Jan 17, 2010
Simi Valley, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
none
I'd put JB hollow 60 or 100, skip the 80. 100 is thinner than the 80.

Eastcapedon

Jul 1, 2008
San Jose California
Name
Donald
Boat
Independence
Hi Val,

I'll be on this trip again too and looking forward to seeing everyone again! I'm no expert but I'm finding that hollow provides more options. With hollow, you can still connect your leader with the same knots we used with solid spectra or you can run your leader up inside the spectra and secure it with a crimp or thread a loop to the end of your main line and loop to loop connect your leader with pre-made leaders. Of course, this means your have to have a crimp kit and/or a bunch of pre-made leaders for to loop to loop connection, but it's nice to have options.

The crimp and loop to loop connections provide much more stealth as opposed to the solid spectra knot that can get hung up in your guides during casting and flylining. The hollow to hollow connection is virtually invisble great for splicing on more spectra if you lose a bunch in a tangle on a long soak at Alijos. Not that we've been involved in any tangles? It's expensive changing everything over, so you might want to wait until it's time to change out your solid spectra, but I think hollow is the way to go. See you at the docks!

Don

Eastcapedon

Jul 1, 2008
San Jose California
Name
Donald
Boat
Independence
Hi Fred,

My fishing buddy hurt himself and had to cancel at the last minute. Pretty sure you took his spot and might also be my roomie on the trip. Either way, I look forward to meeting you and doing some fishing.

Don

fishtride

Oct 3, 2008
Telluride,co usa
Name
Tony
Boat
Indy
Hey Val,

Sorry to see those pictures, looks scary.

I agree with Don on the hollow, you have a number of options. I am loading my accurate 500 with 60Lb hollow. I plan to do a loop to loop connection. I am also a fan of being able to splice line after losing a long range tangle event.

We will see you at the dock or charkbait or Bevmo?

Tony

Gamefighter

I just need one...more!
Sep 12, 2011
Boulder, CO
Name
Valerie
Boat
any that I'm welcome on!
Okay, I'm convinced about the hollow...time to learn new things...as I did last year when I became convinced about the value of the Bloody Mary in the morning.

Valerie