Independence West Coast Marketing On The Water Report

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Rodless_Jim, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Andre: It was a real luxury spending the night before aboard. If nothing else, it lets you get everything squared away in a calm, relaxed manner. And this is a light load, too…just 24 people. If you managed to hide yourself aboard, there would probably be a bunk for you somewhere…

Thanks Wahoodad! Given what a mediocre angler I am, I think you can count on us leaving a fish or two for you.

Fishy: Message delivered.

I was sorry to miss you too Jimal. I heard you were there, but I just couldn’t get down there any earlier. Hopefully I’ll see you at the dock when we get in!

Thanks Bubba! I told Min, and he said “Oh yeah…”

Ali: I passed on your message. I am not going to write what he replied! ;-)

Dave from Buena Park: Yes, Frank is aboard. I met him yesterday and he’s a good guy. He’s not here in the galley now, but I will pass on your message when I see him.

Joe, the galley on Independence is excellent as a matter of course. Ed and Michel take wonderful care of us. The coffee, though, is not really my brew. I don’t mean to say that it isn’t GOOD. It is pretty good stuff, fresh brewed, and with Splenda and milk. Not quite CADILLAC coffee, but as good as you usually find in a restaurant. I just happen to like very strong coffee, softened with real cream (or half and half). That’s not an option this trip…the coffee is milder than the motor oil I make in my French press. But other than that, the provisions are absolutely first rate. Breakfast today was eggs over easy with bacon AND sausage, toast and hashed browns. And coffee…

Oh, and today is our first on the water. We’ll have to see if they do soup, but I’m guessing they will.

2. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Thanks for the detailed reports so far Jim, looking forward to seeing how the rest of the trip goes.

-Connor

3. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Cream of Broccoli Soup. Yes, it's good.

4. King Halibut

King Halibut BigBoy

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks Jim - hope you guys kick ass and take names!

Dave from Buena Park

5. Yolo

Yolo Outcasts

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Relentless
    Very nice of you to keep us all updated. Best line so far: " I'm in vacation mode."

:appl:

6. Halfprice

Halfprice Member

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Independence
    Jim,
    Wait until you get the rack of lamb for dinner. Absolutely fantastic. It was the only dinner I asked for seconds and Ed hooked me up with two more chops.

Have a great time.

Jerry

7. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks guys. We are doing the travel down thing today. Mark. Cans are coming. Thanks Fishy. Everyone is relaxed and just waiting things out. The bait are doing really well. Captain Jeff was saying there was enough 2 week cured dines for our trip and the next boat. The bait are nice hearty big deans. Wish us luck guys.

8. harddrive

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks guys. We are doing the travel down thing today. Mark. Cans are coming. Thanks Fishy. Everyone is relaxed and just waiting things out. The bait are doing really well. Captain Jeff was saying there was enough 2 week cured dines for our trip and the next boat. The bait are nice hearty big deans. Wish us luck guys.

9. The Bushman

The Bushman The Bushman

Name:
    Ken Bush
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Nice reports so far guys...keep em coming. Good luck on the cow grounds...and Jim, post a pic of your cow with the new rod once you break it in! Now go Get Some!!!

10. Bubba

Bubba I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bubba
    Boat:
    18' Trophy
    Ok brother, have a good trip. Tell Jim to keep posting, I'm following your trip. See you in a few weeks.

11. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Please let me know if they serve too much Pork or too much of any one thing...I need to make some decisions and the balance is important to me....

P.s. Just kidding......sorry I couldn't resist!:frehya2:

12. harddrive

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Prime rib last night. Traditional eggs, bacon, sausage and hash brown. Pasta with meat and garlic bread for lunch. Dinner roasted chicken. Snacks broccoli cream soup and chili dog. I am soooo full. More leader making and rigging. Two more days of traveling. Fish Saturday am.

13. David Brewer

David Brewer Member

Name:
    Dave Brewer
    Boat:
    none
    Good luck to you and Min.

14. harddrive

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    We are finishing up rigging. We had bb ribs last night. Eggs Benedict in the morning and steak taco for lunch. Eta is tmw at 9am.

15. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Hmm, Pork Ribs? Oh boy is this fun! Have a great time, guys. Get 'em!

16. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Hi Min, good luck tomorrow! Tell Rodless Jim to post something. I think he has been taking this "vacation" thing literally.

17. harddrive

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Rodless bas been busy making leaders. Rigging wahoo jigs. Playing with his tackle basically. We fish tmw. Eta 9am..

18. OIF VET

OIF VET Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    nope
    Kick some butt. Definitely looking forward to the play by play reports.

19. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    This whole reporting thing may have gotten out of hand. Maybe long since. What IS news is that we have made good time, and that this is a really comfortable group of people. It might not have been. The people on the Summertime charter were half good and half...well. That's a topic I've covered, anyway. This bunch is basically the "good" half, plus others. Some are talkative, others not so much, but there are a lot of nice folks. Tonight I spent time talking with a guy named Phil, a third generation California Japanese man with an engaging smile and a calm demeanor. I don't know him well...I just got him to talk a little bit about himself tonight, but I can tell he's good people.

John, Larry, Roger, Alan, Tommy, Allen...all really nice folks, and many of them are very experienced anglers.

So, as harddrive has said, I've been spending time getting ready. I haven't been in a hurry, because I did quite a lot in Mexico before I came. I haven't had to make a single top shot, and that is a blessing. But I have had to make some leaders, whether for wahoo bait or for skippies. And this time I am TRULY not Rodless. I came with 15 outfits, and getting them all rigged up took some of yesterday and most of today. For those who care, this is what I have brought, and how it is rigged:

KITE: Accurate ATD Platinum 50W on a United Composites Gladiator (custom wrapped by Ken Bush). The reel is spooled with over 800 yards of 130lb JB Hollow, spliced to a short length of 200lb, then a short length of 300lb. I have a 300lb Diamond ball bearing swivel and a 200lb McMahon snap. Right now the outfit is configured for "man bait," since I am #18 of the kite. The leader is a ringed grommet crimped to 5 feet of 300lb Seaguar Fluoro, crimped to an 11/0 Mustad 7691DT. If I get a skippy, that is what I will use to fish it. Drag is set at 42lbs.

200lb Bait: Okuma Makaira 50 on a Calstar Grafighter 770XXXH (custom wrapped by Ken Bush). Spooling is 400 yards of 130lb TUFLine Guide's Choice hollow on top of 400 yards of 100lb TUFLine Guide's Choice hollow. I have connected my own top shot (in line splice) of about 60 feet of 200lb Momoi Hi Catch (smoke blue), which I have tied to a heavy leader made up of a 200lb ball bearing swivel crimped to 5 feet of 200lb Seaguar fluoro. The leader ends crimped to a 10/0 Mustad 49963 4X Sea Demon circle hook. Drag is set at 37lbs.

130lb Bait: Okuma Makaira 50 on a Calstar Grafighter 770XXXH (custom wrapped by Ken Bush). Spooling is 400 yards of 130lb TUFLine Guide's Choice hollow on top of 400 yards of 100lb TUFLine Guide's Choice hollow. Again, my own top shot, about 20 feet of 130lb Seaguar Premier, tied (3-turn Uni) to a 6/0 VMC 4X Dynamic hook. Since we're going to Hurricane, and our bait is medium-sized sardines, the 6/0 VMC is my go to hook for now. DRag is set at 34lbs.

100lb Bait: Okuma Makaira 20 SEa on a Calstar Grafighter 770XXH (custom wrapped by Ken Bush). The Mak 20m is spooled with a little over 700 yards of 100lb TUFLine Guide's Choice. I have spliced in my top shot of 20 feet of 100lb Seaguar Premier, and have tied on another of the 6/0 VMC hooks. Drag is set at 30lbs

100lb Bait: Okuma Makaira 20 SEa on a Super Seeker 2x4 (custom wrapped by Bill Casper). Again the Mak 20m is spooled with a little over 700 yards of 100lb TUFLine Guide's Choice. On this outfit I have not used a pre-made top shot. Instead I have used a Tony Pena knot to connect a 10 foot piece of 100lb Seaguar Premier. Another of the VMC hooks. Drag is set at 30lbs

100lb Sinker Bait: Avet Pro EXW 30 on a Calstar Grafighter 775XXH (custom wrapped by Ken Bush). The Avet has 800 yards of 100lb Seaguar Threadlock, with a 30 foot leader of Momoi Hi Catch (Smoke Blue) spliced in. I have put on a 3oz sliding sinker, and used a 3-turn Surgeon's Knot to connect a 4 foot piece of 100lb Seaguar Premier fluoro. The Surgeon's Knot also keeps the sliding sinker 4 feet up from the hook. The hook is a 5/0 Mustad 49963 4X Sea Demon circle hook. Drag is set at 30lbs.

100lb Trolling: Shimano Tiagra 30W LRS on a Calstar West Coast Series (black) all-roller (custom re-wrapped by Ken Bush). The reel is spooled with 800 yards of 100lb Guide's Choice. To that I have spliced about 60 feet of 100lb Momoi Hi Catch (Smoke Blue). Right now, I have one of JRI Lure's "Ugly Betty" lures tied on. Drag is set at 28lbs.

60lb Spinning: Daiwa Saltist 6000 on a 7'6" OTI OcreanXtreme popping rod (factory wrap). The Saltist is spooled with about 400 yards of 60lbs Guide's Choice, with my top shot of 30 feet of 60lb Seaguar Premier spliced in. At the end of the top shot, I have tied on a 4oz RonZ eel, in pearl white. Drag is set at 20lbs.

50lb Wahoo Heavy Iron: Daiwa Saltiga 50 2-speed on a Super Seeker 6470XH (custom wrapped by Bill Casper). The Saltiga is spooled with 500+ yards of yellow TUFLine XP solid. I have used a Pena Knot to connect a 4 foot piece of 200lb Seaguar fluoro, and a San Diego knot to tie on a hot pink 200g Raider. Drag is set at 20lbs.

50lb Wahoo Heavy Iron: Daiwa Saltiga 50 2-speed on a Graphite USA Predator (factory wrapped). This Saltiga is spooled with 500+ yards of TUFLine Guide's Choice. I have used a Pena Knot to connect a 4 foot piece of 200lb Seaguar fluoro, and a San Diego knot to tie on a gold 200g Raider. Drag is set at 20lbs.

50lb Wahoo Heavy Iron: Daiwa Saltiga 40 2-speed on a United Composites Wahoo (custom wrapped by Ken Bush). Again the Saltiga is spooled with 400+ yards of TUFLine Guide's Choice. Again I have used a Pena Knot to connect a 4 foot piece of 200lb Seaguar fluoro, and a San Diego knot to tie on a Hopkins No=Eql jig. Drag is set at 20lbs.

50lb Wahoo Heavy Iron: Daiwa Saltist 50 2-speed on a Calstar Grafighter 700XH (custom wrapped by Ken Bush). The reel is spooled with about 500 yards of 65lb JB solid. One more Pena knot, 4 more feet of 200lb fluoro, and a Salas 6X Jr. in Hot Pink (single hook). Drag is set at 20lbs.

50lb Wahoo Heavy Iron: Daiwa Saltist 40 2-speed on an OC Rods Special Jig Stick (factory wrap). This reel has 400 yards of 65lb JB solid. Pena knot, 200lb fluoro, and a Captain Jimmy Bomb. Drag is set at 20lbs.

30lb Wahoo Bait: Daiwa Saltist 40 Star Drag on an OC Rods 7MHF (factory wrap). 400+ yards of 60lb JB Line One solid, 25 feet of 30lb Blackwater Fluoro, 35lb Knot-2-Kinky wire, and a 2/0 Mustad 10929BN.

Bait Maker: Daiwa Saltist 35 2-speed on an OC Rods 7HF (factory wrap). The reel has just under 300 yards of 100lb Guide's Choice hollow and about 30 feet of 50lb Seaguar Premier. Because we are going to the bank and not to Clarion, I have tied on a Megabait Kudoku to use making skippies.

That is the line up, and I am very comfortable with what I have. We'll see how it works in the days to come.

What else? Not much. Honestly there isn't a lot to say. Plenty of laughs and a whole LOT of sleeping. I can say, though, that the internet connection has been weak at best. I will post when I can, but I can't always get through.

Take a deep breath everyone...here we go!

darrenforeal likes this.
  20. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Jim, with 15 outfits, good thing you're on a big boat.;) Last time I caught a Wahoo on bait, it was on a Saltist star drag. When I put it in gear there was a loud noise as everything inside the reel engaged, and I was sure that it was going to explode! Since then, I fish bait with a lever drag. I would consider swapping the star drag Saltist for one of your LD reels. The other reason for this, to have the two speed, as bait is more likely to produce a tuna than a bomb. Fighting chance.