cow man

Tuna addict
Aug 29, 2012
Glide Or. 97443
Name
Jake Waardenburg
Boat
N/A
Hey guys my 15 day on the AA got canceled, so I’m signed up on the Independence 16 day January 7th on the John Collins trip... Sooo , I’ve not fished the independence before, looks like a great boat and everybody knows John is a rock star when it comes to fishing... what can you guys tell me about the boat?? Any advice?? Tell me about you’re experience on the boat/operation.. Did I make a good decision???
Thanks

Last edited:

alan760

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
Sorry to hear about your trip. I am on the Accurate trip right before your former trip.

Been on the Indy twice. Really nice ride. Had galley level state rooms both times and they are very spacious for 2 guys.

Reactions: cow man

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Hey guys my 15 day on the AA got canceled, so I’m signed up on the Independence 16 day January 7th on the John Collins trip... Sooo , I’ve not fished the independence before, looks like a great boat and everybody knows John is a rock star when it comes to fishing... what can you guys tell me about the boat?? Any advice?? Tell me about you’re experience on the boat/operation.. Did I make a good decision???
Thanks
Damn that's a bummer Jake. Glad you jumped on another boat. My trip got canceled to but I passed on jumping on another boat. We just moved into a new house and I need to be make sure the backyard gets put in correctly. Good Luck and get one for me

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
The rooms on the galley level are really nice. There is a shower right there that does not get much use and is usually available. The tackle storage is assigned by numbers so there is no fighting over a tackle spot. The only problem is that the top level spots are for low boarding numbers. If you have a high boarding number you will be on the middle or lower level and can't use rod holders on your box. You will have 3 or 4 rod holders on the side of the boat and one more for immediate use just above the tackle rack.
The galley is set up very nice. There is a combination of large and small tables. You can sit at a large able with 6 or 8 other people or you can grab a small table up by the soda machine for just 2 people. There is an ice machine, soda machine and a coffee machine in the front end of the galley. Bring your own soda cup with a locking lid and you can grab a diet coke or what ever you want all day long. The coffee machine has a hot water tap and they have packages of hot chocolate, tea etc. I see some guys bring their favorite cup of noodles etc and use the hot water from the coffee machine.
There are a couple of hot pots next to the soda machine and they usually have a pot of soup or something there during the day along with a ton of chips, cookies fruit, candy etc. I always make up my mind before a trip that I am going to stay away from all the chips, candy etc. and I usually do pretty good.
The state rooms are very nice. The bunks have pretty good headroom so you can sit up and read a book if you want to. There is a lot of storage so you don't have a lot of gear sitting on the floor. In most rooms there are 2 large pull out drawers under the bottom bunk and 2 large storage cabinets at the end of the bunks The cabinets are very deep and you can put a lot of gear in them. If you bring your clothes etc in a soft bag you can fold up the bag and stash it out of the way in one of the cabinets.
The crew is always very good and you should have a nice trip.

Last edited:

talltales

Oct 22, 2004
Ridgecrest Ca
Name
ron
Boat
2359 Trophy
Indy is nice boat, 32 foot beam so it's wide. The last time I rode it, the tackle box assignment are based on when you pay, but most of the spots are fine and have plenty of room. John Collins trips are fun. Bunk rooms have plenty of room for your stuff ,and there are something like 7 heads on the boat so you don't have trouble waiting on a shower very often. Before COVID, they did dinner in one seating but I have not been on the boat since this COVID started, my guess is they will split it up in to two rounds.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Jake you made a great move. Big boat and rides really good. They serve soup every day at 10AM. Great captain and crew. Sorry to hear about your AA trip getting cancelled. Enjoy your trip. I will be on the 16 day Excel trip around the same time.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
The rooms on the galley level are really nice. There is a shower right there that does not get much use and is usually available. The tackle storage is assigned by numbers so there is no fighting over a tackle spot. The only problem is that the top level spots are for low boarding numbers. If you have a high boarding number you will be on the middle or lower level and can't use rod holders on your box. You will have 3 or 4 rod holders on the side of the boat and one more for immediate use just above the tackle rack.
The galley is set up very nice. There is a combination of large and small tables. You can sit at a large able with 6 or 8 other people or you can grab a small table up by the soda machine for just 2 people. There is an ice machine, soda machine and a coffee machine in the front end of the galley. Bring your own soda cup with a locking lid and you can grab a diet coke or what ever you want all day long. The coffee machine has a hot water tap and they have packages of hot chocolate, tea etc. I see some guys bring their favorite cup of noodles etc and use the hot water from the coffee machine.
There are a couple of hot pots next to the soda machine and they usually have a pot of soup or something there during the day along with a ton of chips, cookies fruit, candy etc. I always make up my mind before a trip that I am going to stay away from all the chips, candy etc. and I usually do pretty good.
The state rooms are very nice. The bunks have pretty good headroom so you can sit up and read a book if you want to. There is a lot of storage so you don't have a lot of gear sitting on the floor. In most rooms there are 2 large pull out drawers under the bottom bunk and 2 large storage cabinets at the end of the bunks The cabinets are very deep and you can put a lot of gear in them. If you bring your clothes etc in a soft bag you can fold up the bag and stash it out of the way in one of the cabinets.
The crew is always very good and you should have a nice trip.
As always, nice detailed information.

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
Jake you made a great move. Big boat and rides really good. They serve soup every day at 10AM. Great captain and crew. Sorry to hear about your AA trip getting cancelled. Enjoy your trip. I will be on the 16 day Excel trip around the same time.
i forgot about the daily soup snack. One thing I really liked over the usual sugary snacks.

SlideRight

Been there...
Jul 4, 2008
So Cal
Name
Lew
Boat
ss minnow
Great boat! Only intel I've not yet seen mentioned is re tackle storage. If your boarding number is over #6 your tackle storage will be limited to a shelf with a degree of overhead restriction. Something to think about if you're taking an SKB, or other high top loader. Then there's the main or upper deck....depending. Have a great trip!

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
Best food in the fleet. All 3 chefs do a great job whichever one is on your trip. No worries and they are friendly. Ed, Rolf,and Jake All 3 are GREAT

Last edited:

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
Having your trip cancel is a bummer! It happened to me last year. Ended up on the RP with John. I had fished with him a year before on the Indy when Jeff was still running the indy. You will LOVE the boat. The soup morning snack is really nice, usually made from dinner leftovers:-). I've only eaten for Ed, so I can't speak on the other chefs. The Crew is friendly and very helpful ( try and hook up with Oscar, one of the better deck hands in the fleet) I'm on the December 11 day, and really can't wait. Boat rides really smooth, plenty of room both on deck, and in the staterooms. It is my boat of choice now. Although the AA still has a very special place in my heart!

ExBacklasher

Old guy
Oct 17, 2012
Agoura Hills
Name
Chuck
Boat
Any one that I can hop on
Sorry to say, on my 7 day on the Indy in early Sept., they stopped offering the soup at 10 AM I assume due to Covid-19 restrictions. FYI if you have long rods you can go upstairs and store them there. The rods over 7 feet don't fit on the side, or must be put at an angle.

Reactions: cow man and Cubeye

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Anyone on this trip need a new rod, remember that Jake (Cowman) wraps some very nice custom sticks and can hand deliver them to you if you give him some lead time. You can check out his work in the rod building forum or the classifieds. I believe he wraps mainly UC and Seeker blanks (Randy Penny stuff).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Their soup is the best!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I'm going to pass on a long trip for this winter. I have had enough shorter trips to keep my happy
Very important to keep happy! ;) What would make me happy is a vaccine I can get. Then I have my eye on 3 possible trips.

Rooster, Intrepid, Indy: early February through late April.

Reactions: FishRock and Cubeye

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
Anyone on this trip need a new rod, remember that Jake wraps some very nice custom sticks and can hand deliver them to you if you give him some lead time. You can check out his work in the rod building forum or the classifieds. I believe he wraps mainly UC and Seeker blanks (Randy Penny stuff).
Thanks.
I get all mine done through Kens Custom Reels. :-)

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
So on the Indy, you are assigned a tackle box spot. Are there specific maximum dimensions that your tackle box can be?

I know a few guys that have large boxes and would surely encroach on their neighbors space. Just wondering.