Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
This trip departed the day after Thanksgiving. Judy at the office sent out e-mails to everyone that if we wanted to we can load the night before and stay on the boat. Some stayed on the boat the night before.... I loaded my stuff and got a hotel and met up on the 29th with only my overnight backpack. Captain Matt wanted to get a early start so I was there at the boat at 6AM. After we departed the dock we went to load up on bait. Some of the bait was small and was going to be used for chumming. The other baits were big sardines that would be used for fishing the big tuna. We steamed down to the rocks for are 1st stop. The rocks were dead as dead could be. We gave it a 2 hour try with nothing to show for our efforts. Captain Matt said were on our way to Hurricane bank to give it a try. With no boats at the bank in a long time we were going to have to see what the conditions were like. We got there at night and the crew started to catch flyers for the kite. We got some flyers then looked around a bit. After a bit of looking Captain Matt and the crew dropped the hook and some were more than ready to fish. One person got a 168 LB tuna some time during the night. Most went to bed to get up for the morning bite. A few fish were hooked on either man baits ( Skipjack ) or sinker jig fishing around 200 feet. No jig fish were hooked.... only Skipjack... after fishing for Tuna Captain Matt wanted to look around some more. Trolling team 1 would be up. It didn't take long for the Wahoo to show up and play. Most guys were fishing a JRI or a captain Jimmy bomb... some tossed raider jigs.... if you reeled fast you were going to get a hook up... most all jigs and bombs worked good... a few were also caught on bait.... but most of the guys were tossing there favorite jigs and getting bit. Green seemed to be hot... but then a lot of guys were tossing green. Other colors worked as well. At the end of the Wahoo fishing we scored about 55-60 of the Skinnies. Back to Tuna fishing and a few more we caught. The Tuna ranged from small rats to cows. Most guys were fishing 100 LB top shots when fly lining a sardine. Others fishing big baits were using 130-200 LB top shots and a big hook... 10/0 - 12/0. The next day the Tuna were building around and more big fish were being caught on big baits. Every day we tuna fished you had to put your time at the rail. In no way was it great fishing... but more like a pick type of bite. You could be bit at any time from early in the AM... mid day.. or after the sun went down. Not many fished after dinner. We rested for the days to come. One thing I did notice is a fly lined bait hardly ever got bit... these fish were keying in on Skipjack big time. I am not saying you didn't get bit on a fly lined bait.... but if you wanted to play with the BIG TUNA a Skipjack would be a cow or very close to a cow. The group if fished with... my first time with this group were very fun to hang out for 2 weeks on the ocean. Everyone got along great... there was no ( that guy ) A truly great group that I would fish again in a heartbeat. Now for the boat and crew... The Indy is a beautiful long range fishing boat. The boat has tons of room and is very well maintained. The crew on the Indy is second to none. You can tell every crew member loves there job and is there to help you out. Food in the galley was really great. Ed knows how to cook and everyone puts on a few pounds after a trip. In closing I would like to thank the Crew of the Indy and the group if fished with. Roger the charter master a very special thanks. You have a great group of anglers.

Nice start for Joey 250#

Wahoo today

Fishing at its finest

WE are piecing it together down here with some grande grade fish. We have had 11 cows the past few days and im sure there are more around. Heavy gear and big baits is the name of the game. We have had a few heartbreaks but everyone is in great spirits with a chance at a fish of a lifetime. The weather remains beautiful if hot and balmy is your cup of tea. We are staying put trying for trophies

Mike Banda

Soda Pop

We are welcomed back with 11 fish over 200# and 1 fish over 300

greatbasin

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 22, 2007
Idaho
Name
Greg
Boat
Knot Yet
Dream trip! WTG
Can you talk about tactics and gear for the cows a bit? I am interested to learn.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Dream trip! WTG
Can you talk about tactics and gear for the cows a bit? I am interested to learn.
Greg,
Most of us fishing for the Cow Tuna would use about a 5 LB Skipjack with a 10/0 - 12/0 J hook with 130 LB - 200 LB mono or Fluro. The fishing reels most of us used were 50's with a stout 7 foot rod. Something like a 3X5 or a 4X unlimited fishing rod. First you would catch a skipjack on a small jig or bait then using your 40-50 LB outfit. You would then transfer the big bait to your big set up. A deckhand would toss your big bait out and you would let him swim with the reel in free spool. When you got bit you would wait anywhere from 10-30 seconds, sometimes longer and put your reel in gear and set the hook... always remembering to hold on.... its a huge shock and you must be ready so your gear doesn't go in the ocean.

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
Jan 21, 2014
Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
Name
Shon
Boat
Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
Great write up Soda. The Independence along with a few other boats are on my bucket list for going long. Glad you had a good time and nice pic with fish!

Reactions: Soda Pop

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Soda,
Is there a rationale for use of J rather than circle for the big baits. I recall you using a Job when i got to watch you fish four years ago, and I guess you have seen no reason to change. any reason?

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Soda,
Is there a rationale for use of J rather than circle for the big baits. I recall you using a Job when i got to watch you fish four years ago, and I guess you have seen no reason to change. any reason?
Loc,
I feel its better to use a J hook for the large baits. It is east to hook it to the back and get the bait in the water ASAP!

migelito

May 12, 2010
So Cal.
Name
Mike
Boat
Indy
Soda, It was a pleasure to finally get to fish with you. We see so many names on here but hardly get to meet them in person. Hopefully we get to share the rail again someday. Nice report.

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
For my first trip on the Indy, I will say it's a great boat. My trip was pretty darn good. The only way my trip could have been any better was to not lose that Super Cow at the boat!!! Dang it. Would a, could a, should a been the JACKPOT fish!!! Experience is costly, but already booked the 11 day trip for next year same time!!!

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
For my first trip on the Indy, I will say it's a great boat. My trip was pretty darn good. The only way my trip could have been any better was to not lose that Super Cow at the boat!!! Dang it. Would a, could a, should a been the JACKPOT fish!!! Experience is costly, but already booked the 11 day trip for next year same time!!!
Marty,
I was there watching every move you made on that BIG FISH. You did everything perfect.... you were pulling hard.... had the right angle..... the fish just won the fight.... it was really great fishing with you and your buddy Kelly. I truly enjoyed sharing the rail with you on the Indy for 15 days. Hope we can share the rail again soon.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Soda, It was a pleasure to finally get to fish with you. We see so many names on here but hardly get to meet them in person. Hopefully we get to share the rail again someday. Nice report.
Mike I had a blast fishing with you and your friends. I hope to do this again with your group some day.

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
Marty,
I was there watching every move you made on that BIG FISH. You did everything perfect.... you were pulling hard.... had the right angle..... the fish just won the fight.... it was really great fishing with you and your buddy Kelly. I truly enjoyed sharing the rail with you on the Indy for 15 days. Hope we can share the rail again soon.
Thanks Soda,
Yeah that 4XH was bent over pretty darn good. Heart breaker for sure but I clean up the mess and fished on. Hopefully we can do it again soon. I had a great time on this trip fishing with you as well. I'm very happy to be getting back into the LR trips after a 20 year hiatus. The boat and that group are awesome and I truly enjoy the peaceful time out on the water. No place like it for me. see ya soon.
At least I made the photo gallery line up with a smaller fish in picture 3. A mere scrub that weighed in at 160 lbs.

Last edited:

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
Hunter 619, what went wrong? Other fngs need to know hahahah
I couldn't see the fish because I was on my knees with the rod in my armpit. But a buddy has it all on my goPro so I need to watch. I didnt know how big it was except that it was VERY HEAVY. I've been told it was doing its death circle and only maybe 10' below the surface, when the fish suddenly stood up on its tail. Then when it fell over the extra weight stressed the line/knot too much and the knot finally came unbuttoned. I was told it was a MUCH bigger fish than our jackpot fish which was 300 # even. Oh well.

Reactions: stephen campbell

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
Jul 7, 2016
oro valley az
Name
Stephen Campbell
Boat
S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
Bummer, but at least ya know what went wrong. I had a tuna hooked on a 8# or so skipjack, ran, set the hook. took off, just into the game and gone. At the failure point There was a long scraped spot in 200# extra hard right about in the middle of a 35' leader. Some guesses, none that made me feel better hahaha

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
Bummer, but at least ya know what went wrong. I had a tuna hooked on a 8# or so skipjack, ran, set the hook. took off, just into the game and gone. At the failure point There was a long scraped spot in 200# extra hard right about in the middle of a 35' leader. Some guesses, none that made me feel better hahaha
Yeah, as they say shit happens. It does hurt but gotta keep the chin up, stay positive and keep fishing!!

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
I will be on next year's Fins-N-Feathers Thanksgiving trip which is an 11 day. I think they have 11 spots reserved already. Lower banks, Ridge & Alijos possibly. looking forward to it since I loved my first Indy experience this year!!!

Reactions: FishRock