Independence 8 day fishing report. Outstanding fishing!

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat Name
Long range fishing
So this was a trip where I had the honor of taking a special needs young man with me as my guest. See Chris has autism. I took him down to San Diego a couple of days before the trip to show him around. He’s been counting the days for months so the day I picked him up he thought we would stay at my house and leave in the morning. Well soda pop being soda pop I had a big surprise for him. When he got to my house I had the truck all packed up and I picked him up in the Tesla. He loves that car. When we got to my house my wife gave him a haircut while I double checked to make sure everything was ready. After that haircut my wife and I said well you ready to head to San Diego. He said tomorrow and we said we have a surprise we’re leaving right now. Boy he was bouncing off the walls. We get to San Diego around 3:00 and upload the truck and once everything was safe in our room we go walk the docks then head over to squdico to buy some last minute stuff and get him a couple of t-shirts from squdico and Joey gifted him a t-shirts. Great tackle store that treats everyone like family. We leave our reels with squdico and will pick them up with fresh line in the morning. We go back to the docks for another walk get Chris ( little brother) yes he now has a nickname and he loves it a sweatshirt from fisherman’s landing and head over to see if anyone is around in the independence office. We got lucky and the office manager was there and picked him up a couple of independence t-shirts. After dinner we head to get some much needed rest for our departure Friday morning. At 2AM little brother wants to load the truck and stand in line so we can be first so we do. On the independence you get a tackle number when checking in and the line starts from the 1st person to load first. So let’s talk fishing. Captain Matt was our captain and after we loaded the very good grade baits ( big healthy) after clearing the point we have our safety seminar and put a game plan tougher for the next 8 days. We first head to fish the bank 10 miles from the rocks and see if we can get these yellowtail to bite our offerings. GAME ON. The yellowtail were first biting the dropper lupe then they bit any which way you fished them. Dropper lupe-6X jigs-Fly line and even surface iron. They were big and wanted to eat anything that hit the water. After about a day and fishing the next morning we had our limits of yellowtail. Captain has a meeting in the galley before dinner and said I hear the bluefin wants to play so we’re making the long move back up north 60 miles from San Diego. We arrived at the bluefin grounds and it was a slow pick bite on flat falls and knife jigs and some were using 8 ounces of lead with a 2/0 hook. I myself stay up 9 then hit the hay. Next morning I wake up and try the knife jigs. I really suck at this kind of fishing. It’s only my 2nd time bluefin fishing. The 11-18 day trips I usually do we don’t fish bluefin. After the sun comes up I go to a 2 ounce egg sinker with a 40 pound fluro setup. I get bit and hand it off to my guest little brother. It’s about a 45-50 pound bluefin. Deckhand says soda go up to 50 the bigger models are moving in. I never second guess a deckhand so I grab my 50 pound setup with a 2 ounce pin a bait on and let the line go out slow and after about 15 seconds I get nailed. This fish is a much larger model. I yell for little brother and the deckhand helps him land a nice 100 pound bluefin. He’s stocked and says he needs to rest his arms. I quickly agree with him and maybe I just might get one. See this trip I was planning on handing off the fish to little brother. I check my line and toss in my 2/0 hook with my 2 ounce egg sinker and BAM HOOKUP. in about 10 seconds I get hooked into a nice 100_-+ pound bluefin. The next night fishing was pretty good but little brother and I headed to bed to get up at 3AM. My report from the all night gang was flat falls and knife jigs in the 250-300 grams. At around 315 the 2nd captain calls for little brother and he’s hooked up. He needs help so I quickly come help out. All deckhands are busy and we have about 10 fish going all over the 100 pound mark. Hitting knife jigs and live bait with a 2/0 with a 6-8 ounce sinker. It’s game on big time. I yell out color and a deckhand sinks a gaff in little brother’s 100+ pound bluefin and we both rest a bit and watch the full on bluefin bite. After a little bit of a rest we have some delicious breakfast and go back out do get a few more bluefin. We ended up with 11 bluefin and 21 yellowtail for our trip as a team. Now I want to thank the entire crew of the independence. When we got settled in the crew all came out with a present for me. I was shocked and gleaming with gratitude. They presented me with a jersey with my nickname soda pop and the boat name on the front reading INDY. I also want to take time to thank all the wonderful people that helped little brother out and made this a very special trip. And last Rick from Avet-Graftech rod’s and the group from Turner’s outdoor for more than generous giveaways.

140BF978-0064-467C-B6D0-7BB105FB4718.jpeg

AB6C17CD-616D-463F-85A2-9F30A42CB4BD.jpeg

4F6359E0-7CD5-4D0A-834A-70DDC2C60304.jpeg

4221E339-4096-4C20-AE74-0DE7B01E484C.jpeg

17294CFB-D06A-4F14-BAE0-6968FD986322.jpeg

633DD0F5-5C96-40BF-A5E6-7529F9ABB993.jpeg

C3A087CB-EE7E-4087-96BC-C2D5BB9A9E99.jpeg

3011951A-42AD-4378-9438-0F4FD8854828.jpeg

90BE75B8-DE73-43C0-ABFE-BE8EA8F67C15.jpeg

050C2119-5455-43B9-9786-16FDBF3F998F.jpeg

93BF8F97-66FD-4B17-B52A-D8364DCB3559.jpeg

678ED7F3-3CCB-4121-96C3-52153EFF8201.jpeg

AB78A173-9C5E-4174-AE42-F9507D84689A.jpeg

AF595838-E96B-4A90-B85C-DF8A5803FDE8.jpeg

CA1B94A8-A37B-4A0D-A490-F02F2CDD8FA2.jpeg

CCE2B090-A760-4395-A3A5-125EA95C1B18.jpeg

292E2404-D2EF-4BA1-B5B8-93CABC42A238.jpeg

881CB8FA-A699-4401-8C49-98AB7BDB746E.jpeg

Last edited:

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
  • Jan 21, 2014
    Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
    Name
    Shon
    Boat Name
    Pac Voyager/Vagabond
    Sounds like another epic trip on the Indy! Thanks for the report Soda and you more then deserve that jersey from the Indy, You take care of the guys big time. Glad you guys had a great time. I love that boat!

Reactions: Tom123 and Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

Peteb

newbie my ass
    Nov 30, 2010
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Name
    Pete
    Boat Name
    None
    So this was a trip where I had the honor of taking a special needs young man with me as my guest. See Chris has autism. I took him down to San Diego a couple of days before the trip to show him around. He’s been counting the days for months so the day I picked him up he thought we would stay at my house and leave in the morning. Well soda pop being soda pop I had a big surprise for him. When he got to my house I had the truck all packed up and I picked him up in the Tesla. He loves that car. When we got to my house my wife gave him a haircut while I double checked to make sure everything was ready. After that haircut my wife and I said well you ready to head to San Diego. He said tomorrow and we said we have a surprise we’re leaving right now. Boy he was bouncing off the walls. We get to San Diego around 3:00 and upload the truck and once everything was safe in our room we go walk the docks then head over to squdico to buy some last minute stuff and get him a couple of t-shirts from squdico and Joey gifted him a t-shirts. Great tackle store that treats everyone like family. We leave our reels with squdico and will pick them up with fresh line in the morning. We go back to the docks for another walk get Chris ( little brother) yes he now has a nickname and he loves it a sweatshirt from fisherman’s landing and head over to see if anyone is around in the independence office. We got lucky and the office manager was there and picked him up a couple of independence t-shirts. After dinner we head to get some much needed rest for our departure Friday morning. At 2AM little brother wants to load the truck and stand in line so we can be first so we do. On the independence you get a tackle number when checking in and the line starts from the 1st person to load first. So let’s talk fishing. Captain Matt was our captain and after we loaded the very good grade baits ( big healthy) after clearing the point we have our safety seminar and put a game plan tougher for the next 8 days. We first head to fish the bank 10 miles from the rocks and see if we can get these yellowtail to bite our offerings. GAME ON. The yellowtail were first biting the dropper lupe then they bit any which way you fished them. Dropper lupe-6X jigs-Fly line and even surface iron. They were big and wanted to eat anything that hit the water. After about a day and fishing the next morning we had our limits of yellowtail. Captain has a meeting in the galley before dinner and said I hear the bluefin wants to play so we’re making the long move back up north 60 miles from San Diego. We arrived at the bluefin grounds and it was a slow pick bite on flat falls and knife jigs and some were using 8 ounces of lead with a 2/0 hook. I myself stay up 9 then hit the hay. Next morning I wake up and try the knife jigs. I really suck at this kind of fishing. It’s only my 2nd time bluefin fishing. The 11-18 day trips I usually do we don’t fish bluefin. After the sun comes up I go to a 2 ounce egg sinker with a 40 pound fluro setup. I get bit and hand it off to my guest little brother. It’s about a 45-50 pound bluefin. Deckhand says soda go up to 50 the bigger models are moving in. I never second guess a deckhand so I grab my 50 pound setup with a 2 ounce pin a bait on and let the line go out slow and after about 15 seconds I get nailed. This fish is a much larger model. I yell for little brother and the deckhand helps him land a nice 100 pound bluefin. He’s stocked and says he needs to rest his arms. I quickly agree with him and maybe I just might get one. See this trip I was planning on handing off the fish to little brother. I check my line and toss in my 2/0 hook with my 2 ounce egg sinker and BAM HOOKUP. in about 10 seconds I get hooked into a nice 100_-+ pound bluefin. The next night fishing was pretty good but little brother and I headed to bed to get up at 3AM. My report from the all night gang was flat falls and knife jigs in the 250-300 grams. At around 315 the 2nd captain calls for little brother and he’s hooked up. He needs help so I quickly come help out. All deckhands are busy and we have about 10 fish going all over the 100 pound mark. Hitting knife jigs and live bait with a 2/0 with a 6-8 ounce sinker. It’s game on big time. I yell out color and a deckhand sinks a gaff in little brother’s 100+ pound bluefin and we both rest a bit and watch the full on bluefin bite. After a little bit of a rest we have some delicious breakfast and go back out do get a few more bluefin. We ended up with 11 bluefin and 21 yellowtail for our trip as a team. Now I want to thank the entire crew of the independence. When we got settled in the crew all came out with a present for me. I was shocked and gleaming with gratitude. They presented me with a jersey with my nickname soda pop and the boat name on the front reading INDY. I also want to take time to thank all the wonderful people that helped little brother out and made this a very special trip. And last Rick from Avet-Graftech rod’s and the group from Turner’s outdoor for more than generous giveaways.

View attachment 1392687

View attachment 1392688

View attachment 1392689

View attachment 1392690

View attachment 1392691

View attachment 1392692

View attachment 1392693

View attachment 1392694

View attachment 1392695

View attachment 1392696

View attachment 1392697

View attachment 1392698

View attachment 1392699

View attachment 1392700

View attachment 1392701

View attachment 1392702

View attachment 1392703

View attachment 1392704
    Dear Mr. Soda Pop, I don't know you, but I do known the world needs more people like you.
    Bless you, you're a good man.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats

View attachment 1392687

View attachment 1392688

View attachment 1392689

View attachment 1392690

View attachment 1392691

View attachment 1392692

View attachment 1392693

View attachment 1392694

View attachment 1392695

View attachment 1392696

View attachment 1392697

View attachment 1392698

View attachment 1392699

View attachment 1392700

View attachment 1392701

View attachment 1392702

View attachment 1392703

View attachment 1392704
    👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    What a trip! Now I'm gonna be looking for a June 8 day for next year!

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    Calstar 8 day on the Vag, departing June 23rd... Counting the days.
    If you're on the Penn 6 day this July, I'll be at the landing when you guys get in. Plan to drop some cash with Mike and get on some 2023 wait lists. That 8 day would be awesome!

Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Jun 15, 2019
    SoCal
    Name
    Phil
    Boat Name
    Vagbond
    If you're on the Penn 6 day this July, I'll be at the landing when you guys get in. Plan to drop some cash with Mike and get on some 2023 wait lists. That 8 day would be awesome!
    I'll be on that one as well. It'll be good to see you again. You really don't know what you're going to go for on the June trips, particularly if you put Lupe into consideration...

I tend to bring a lot of rigs,

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    OK! Soda Pop, well done, brother. Chris is fortunate to have you for a big brother. ;)

Reactions: Shon and Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none

View attachment 1392687

View attachment 1392688

View attachment 1392689

View attachment 1392690

View attachment 1392691

View attachment 1392692

View attachment 1392693

View attachment 1392694

View attachment 1392695

View attachment 1392696

View attachment 1392697

View attachment 1392698

View attachment 1392699

View attachment 1392700

View attachment 1392701

View attachment 1392702

View attachment 1392703

View attachment 1392704
    Thanks for the intel on the egg sinkers

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
    Monterey
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat Name
    18 Sfringari
    As the parent of a special needs child I thank you doing this and posting it. The crew sounds like they went above and beyond to make this trip something to remember.

• Love
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    After the sun comes up I go to a 2 ounce egg sinker with a 40 pound fluro setup.
    Hey Soda, were you putting the weight above the knot to your fluoro leader, or on the leader itself where it could slide all the way down to the bait?

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat Name
    Long range fishing
    Hey Soda, were you putting the weight above the knot to your fluoro leader, or on the leader itself where it could slide all the way down to the bait?
    Above the fluro. Had to jam a toothpick in the weight so it would not slide down. Deckhands can show you that trick and most boats have toothpicks in the galley.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0