Jan 3, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
John
Boat
Independence
Fresh off the boat report.
Independence 3 Day 08.22-08.25

So I ended up filling a last-minute cancelation on my favorite boat but there is a story behind this.
I was originally booked on the searcher leaving a week before that I was also lucky to have slid into a cancellation HOWEVER
2 days before the Searcher trip I decided to play Handy Manny around the house and had a chunk of sheet metal cut all down to bone on my right middle finger.
I could not believe this just happened, I could not stop the bleeding on my own so went to the ER and got a few fat stitches as I told the Dr. I was going fishing and needed them to hold so he beefed up the gauge looked like 15lb to me lol.
After one day with only a couple of days left, I realized no way am I reeling on any sizeable fish like this so I called the searcher's office letting them know what happened, and also told them I completely understand I will forfeit the 1300.00.
I get a call back in an hour and they filled the spot and were only going to keep the booking fee I'm like hell yeah!
So after all that I started looking at the boat schedules and low and behold the Indy had one spot open leaving a week later so I called the office and booked it.

Ok on to the trip.

Arrived at Fisherman landing at 5:00 am waited around and got a spot no more than 30 minute wait time so check that box off.
Went up to the office and checked in with Judy and shoot the shit for a bit.
As we are waiting to board with an arsenal of gear all down the walkway I noticed 6 people on this trip that I've fished with a few times, a good thing because we had 4 hours left and when your solo 4 hours standing around feels like an eternity.
10:00 Am rolls around and we are able to board.
Now I will say I was already seeing the characters that I would be sharing the rail with and told myself this is going to be a fun trip.
Get onboard throw all my crap in the bunk as we went to go get the bait as I was sitting in the galley I hear a very distinct voice coming from the kitchen a very hard-to-understand french accent and low and behold it's Frenchy holly cow let's go!
For those that haven't been on the Indy Frenchy it a very funny french Cheif with a whole lot of character and my understanding, he had retired so it was a treat to see him again.
After loading the bait, Captain Matt comes down to give us the plan of action and that plan was to go out about 110 miles in search of some Big bluefin that has started to show again.
Great I have a ton of BFT left and wanted to focus on the Yellows but hey we have 3 days and I'm sure we will have plenty of time for that.
Sometime around 9:30 pm, we are in the zone looking for fish.
It didn't take long and we all started the grind of flat fall.
I did the flat fall deal for about an hour with no takers for myself but the boat did get 3 fish right around the 100lb mark and one more at 185lbs and the 185 fish was on sinker rig 16oz and right around 11 that bite dried up.
So morning comes around and it's time to put in the BFT grind and see what happens.
As all the reports have been saying TON'S of fish and very few bites and we were no exception and had one to two fish per stop all about 80lbs smallest being in the '60s and this is the first trip in a while that I can say the boat had a majority of the passengers that are the real deal I call it crew friendly fisherman very seasoned not so much by age but through experience lots of the 10 - 16 day trip anglers.
So this is the drill all-day stop throw bait hook and land one or two and at a nearly 100 percent hook to land ratio but the fish were really not in the mood.
Towards mid-day, I get a bite on 25lb and now I'm wondering if it was 20lb lol that hook-up lasted no longer than me saying fresh one! snap she gone chewed me right off.
Ok, no big deal let's do this again and I'll bump it to 30lb.
A few long soaks later fish on! boom fish off! I gave the fish a decent 5 count and it never ingested the sardine all the way because I ended up getting it back with a lovely cut right down the side.
Ok, lunchtime let's eat and reset.
Soak after soak jig after jig and I'm going to end day one with a skunk.
Our day one full day count is 26 BFT 12 of those were caught from 3 guys.
Dinner time rolls around and Captain Matt comes in and gives us a run-down tonnage of BFT that just don't want to get with it so we are going to head over to Cortez for the opportunity at that good yellowtail bite.
We arrive sometime around 3am and a couple of us start to do some dropper loop fishing with nothing but a lone barracuda.
Daylight comes around and we start fishing and I am first to get picked up and land a nice 16lb yellow on my RGP Mega with a 1/2 oz sliding sinker.
I get back in the water and boom picked up again the same setup and I get the first two yellows on the deck.
I go back in with my RGP Monster and get picked up once again but this one is a little different it's feeling like a smaller tuna and low and beholds it's a very nice size bone ughhhhh and now the boat goes bendo with a complete shit show of squarely bonita but hey we are almost a full day in with little to show so it was at least a blast pulling on some WFO bones.
So now since we can't even get past the bones and we are starting to get surrounded by lions we go and make a move.
Let's just say that if you are frustrated on nonbiting BFT I get double frustrated on nonbiting yellows the yellows were being mettered but no takes spot after spot and we are now midday of day two and there are a lot of zeroes on the board.
Right around 3 Matt says we need to start heading towards the barn but will look for kelps along the way (AKA we are done).
For us, not a kelp insight so we are now going to end the day with 12 yellowtails and 2 smaller BFT.
Here is a report from Capt. Matt

We ended up with a catch of Bluefin Tuna yesterday with some standouts up to 185 pounds. Lots of fish up and a reward was given for the hard work. We decided to try for Yellowtail today and saw plenty of fish that seemed to be in a funk. We got but a sample for our effort but was not for lack of effort. We are headed in now and the group was jovial throughout the trip, to say the least. We had a good amount of fun throughout the trip and looking forward to seeing the group again next year. Until then thank you very much. Matt and Independence crew.

I ended the trip with two nice yellows and a little dab of bottom-feeders to make some fish taco's with all in all we gave it a shot and you can't win them all but I do feel for the passengers that did not catch anything I was fishing harder than I normally do I wanted to hook and hand but that never happened as everything was lock jawed. IMG_2605.jpg
IMG_2585.jpgIMG_2586.jpgIMG_2584.jpgIMG_2603.jpgIMG_2607.jpgIMG_2616.jpgIMG_2628.jpgIMG_2618.jpgIMG_2619.jpgIMG_2621.jpgIMG_2622.jpgIMG_2623.jpgIMG_2624.jpgIMG_2625.jpgIMG_2627.jpgimg-20210825-d7497abc.jpgIMG_2635.jpg

What worked
Dropper rig for BFT 16 oz sinker.
What worked for the yellows fly line, yoyo, and dropper rig
Final fish count 32 BFT and 12 Yellows

The weather was excellent (many times I did not realize we were moving) food was amazing crew is top-notch the cast of characters were wild on this trip and I already have 3 trips paid for next year with the Indy that will get me to trip #20 on that boat Don was on this trip and he said he is on his 56th trip on the boat.

Last edited:

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Thanks for the report! Can’t wait to get on the Indy next July. I see Mac was on board with you. Super cool guy, and been on a few fishing trips with him this year.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT/pics/info and NICE FISH
    Glad Cecilla in the Searcher Office got ya covered by filling spot. Bummer on your finger. Bad timing
    Hell I've missed the whole season with rt. thumb CMC joint fusion surgery. Just out of cast, 2 pins coming out 8 weeks later.
    Hope ya didn't tear your stitches lose? Pain sucks LOL

Reactions: short-range
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I’ll count my blessings. I was out on a 2.5 day out of Seaforth on the Outer Limits. No, it’s not the biggest boat, bunk room, no staterooms, goofy layout in the bow with the anchor/winch, but we caught fish. Our days on the Cortez a week before yours, 20 of us managed just over 120 Yellowtail along with the occasional bottom grabbers and Bones. On the way back in, paddies gave up around 30 Dorado. Good to be on the water.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    great report. Remember it's about having fun... catching fish is a bonus. Looks like you had fun and got a little table fair. Great report. I am on the Indy in Nov. for 11 days and back in March for a 16 day.

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Soda Pop; Which 11 day trip are you on? The first of the month or the end of the month? I have never been on the Indy before, but I will be going out on the first of the month. I was a crew member on the Independence many, many years ago, but that was the USS Independence (CVA-62) 1967-1969.

Reactions: Peg North
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Nice Report. The boat was allowing people to fish with 20-30 lb test?? That seems a little on the light side for those size of fish. I couldn't imagine hooking a 80lb bft and above on 20lb test, Even the smallest one the boat got (60lbs) on day one, Is no walk in the park

Last edited:

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Soda Pop; Which 11 day trip are you on? The first of the month or the end of the month? I have never been on the Indy before, but I will be going out on the first of the month. I was a crew member on the Independence many, many years ago, but that was the USS Independence (CVA-62) 1967-1969.
    I am on BRANDON MILLER'S trip. You must be on Stan Vanderburg trip. Stan is a great charter master. If a spot opens up I will jump on that trip also.

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    I was out there during the same timeframe on the Vagabond. Same deal first day Monday tough to get a bite on BFT but got two nice ones but only had 12 BFT aboard on day one. Ran out to Cortez and then Tanner, saw you guys below us on Cortez, but had the same tough yellow fishing on Tuesday morning. Left Tanner around 2 PM and ran back to the tuna area and intercepted massive schools way off the island all by ourselves in the middle of nowhere. Huge breezers and flat spots in all directions. Today was different than Monday as the first breezer we pulled up on and dumped a ton of bait on reacted with fish blowing out all over behind the boat and many bait fish hooked. Same reaction on the next spot so Mike called in the fleet to out location. It was very good sardine fishing on 40 to 50 pound fish mostly on 30lb gear with a few standouts to 75+. Tuesday afternoon made the trip as we had multiple fish going at all times and very long drifts with schools sticking with the boat and biting hook baits until dark. Many fish taken on the colt snipers as well.

Everyday is different out there which is why multiday trips are the way to go if you can swing it...

short-range
    short-range
    Good deal I thought I saw you in the parking lot you were riding shotgun leaving the lot, I'm like I recognize that guy haha
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0