Incredibly Steep Drag Curves!

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by pmurphy, Aug 3, 2013.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    I have an LX4.6 and a JX6/3, and they both exhibit the same bad behavior. If I set the drag at a reasonable level at "strike," any movement beyond that buttons down the drag incredibly tight. If I set the drag at a reasonable level at "full," then the reel is freespooling at "strike."

It almost seems like the cams are incorrect or worn out. The only other thing I can think of is the bellevilles, but I am so confused about the accuracy of the schematics that I don't know what to try.

If I tried Florida/Kodiak cams, would I gain adjustability at the expense of high-end drag? I fish out of San Diego, so I don't want to convert them to ultralight reels!

I have looked over a couple of years of old posts for the answer, and I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem....

2. DITCH CLEANER

DITCH CLEANER Newbie

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    party
    It is hard to judge your problem but when my reels were new the the jx would give 14lb at strike and 18 at full the lx was almost the same. I don't know if this will help.

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    Ditch:

Those numbers would be great, but mine are more like 14# at strike, and when I just barely push the lever out of the strike d├ętente, it goes to about 30#. I couldn't tell you what it would be at full without losing some fingers.

4. DITCH CLEANER

DITCH CLEANER Newbie

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    party
    WOWERS! You need someone that knows the insides of them for sure. You might go to Alan Tani online might find out why there.

5. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    The Florida and Kodiak cams do lessen the drag curve significantly; however, your 14 - 30 curve is suspect. Is there any chance the belleville washers have been changes or are in the wrong configuration? And are the pinion bearing and left side spool bearing both good? If you ever pushed the drag to 30# -- even accidentally -- you've likely crushed the pinion bearing and need to replace it.

6. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    This isn't a drag curve problem, it's a damaged parts problem, probably bearings. Send it to Avet and they will service the reels and replace all bearings.

7. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    BBuck:

AHA! That makes sense. I probably ruined the brake/pinion bearing, and maybe others. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what bearing sizes to order for a JX6/3 and an LX4.6. I want to get the best bearings I can from Boca.

For the JX6/3, I have:

Left side spool bearing: 9x17x5
    Right side spool bearing: 5x9x3
    Brake bearing: 0.250x0.625x0.196
    Drive shaft bearings (2x): 0.375x0.625x ?
    Pinion bearing (?): 0.1875x0.500x0.196

Can Anyone confirm these and clarify the size of the drive shaft bearings? Also, any help on the bearings for the LX4.6 would be great.

Thanks!

8. divegod1

divegod1 AKA "unidentified angler"

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    next one i'm on...
    Search under reel tutorials, there is an LX same thing as JX. THOSE ARE THE CORRECT SIZES,THE ONES LISTED ON BOCAS SITE ARE NOT. LARRY AT BOCA CAN SET YOU UP. I HOPE (G)

9. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    Okay. I pulled all the bearings, measured them and tested them. It appears that the brake bearing is not synonymous with the pinion bearing.

I tested each bearing by putting a Phillips head screwdriver in one side and apply side pressure while turning, and then testing it in the opposite direction. Each of the bearings felt completely smooth, with no side play, binding, roughness or sound.

Question: If a bearing was bad, would I be able to tell using the above method?

Thanks, guys!

10. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    Update:

For what it's worth, I believe the problem is largely solved by changing the orientation of the bellevilles. I switched them to a )()()( configuration, which I figure gives the maximum range of motion. The ramp-up when I go past "strike" is still pretty severe, but within the usable range.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

11. Locke N Load

Locke N Load Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    friend's
    As a side note. It does not matter how much past Strike you go, you are at max drag. Whether you go a hair past Strike or all the way to Full, you are at Full. Just a quirk a guess.

12. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Uhhhh.....No!

YOur saying that at the strike detent the drag is 14 and outside of the detent it's 18? Not true.

13. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    On my Avet LX4.6 and JX6/3, going a hair past strike still yields a huge jump in the drag, but not to max.

14. Grayson Lanier

Grayson Lanier Turd collector

Name:
    Grayson Lanier
    Boat:
    The mighty bass hunter
    Well I fiddled with the drag washers on my 9/0, and locked it way way way down. Tight as I could get it. Bottomed out my 50lb scale. How's that for steep drag

15. salty brain

salty brain Nothing but salt between the ears

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    what ever floats
    bevel washers for LX and JX should be configured like this ))(()). Pull up the schematics at avet reels.com. Ive been ordering parts and working on my 10 avets for years off there site.

16. salty brain

salty brain Nothing but salt between the ears

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    what ever floats
    go to avet reels .com both the LX and JX bevel washers should be like this ))(()). pull up the schematics.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013