Incredible story in this weeks WON - Last weeks "bft school of a lifetime"

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by vegasandre, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Yeah my uncle learned the hard way catching a 141bft on 40lb. 3 hours of a fight

2. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    AMEN that was one great read, and I'll tip one in his honor too....Great Story!
    The school following the boat all night into day 2 was off the charts. LOL

3. dockrat88

dockrat88 no fish pulling against me shall prosper

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    whatever floats
    It's not a good feeling

4. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    "That captain sounds shell-shocked. I don't know if I am quite ready to replace the line on my Avet 50 with 65 pound braid. That sound like a LOT of braid. But then again, I don't know what it feels like to get spooled...."

"It's not a good feeling"

X2... on a side note: don't ever let a tuna or other fish/shark of any size ever completely spool you... as you are getting down to the bottom of your line capacity I recommend that you make certain that you have a good firm grip on your rod and point your rod tip straight at the fish, then slowly button down your drag and break them off (or ask a deckhand to do this for you if they are nearby to help you - sometimes you can get spooled pretty fast on larger grade fish so unless you deploy some kind of backup rig... break off )... this will keep that fish with 350 to 500+ yards of line/leader trailing behind it (if it does spools you) from swimming back to the school and wrapping several other tuna or other fish with that trailing line/leader which would certainly end as a slow death sentence for any fish or any other marine creatures that get wrapped up in that line/leader. Fishing lines, especially mono or fluoro (basically plastic) have a looooong life and breakdown very slowly (never completely) even in saltwater. We all need to be very aware of what we place in our oceans as a lot of the manmade plastics used today have just horrible long lasting effects on all marine life.

5. kona mike

kona mike Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Blue Horizon / personal skiff
    Shell Shocked? (1) I never said that you need to put 65 lb. spectra on a 50W reel, common sense or an experienced angler should tell you that if you put 65lb braid on a 50W would mean 2500 yrds. of 65lb. braided line. REALLY? That doesnt sound right to me at all. But about me saying that a passenger bringing a 50 lb. test line on a reel that holds more than 300 yrds sounds correct. Why do some guys just assume stupid shit like this and blow it all up out of proportion.

6. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Mike, no response to the guy that said these are 10 minute fish on 30# line?

7. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Mike don't pay attention to the stuff you read here.......

I need to hop on your boat and go fishing with you again .....hope all is well with you....

8. ReelDealAngler

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Mike just to be perfectly clear here, my X2 was me agreeing with: "its not a good feeling" posted by docrat88 who was responding to pmurphy who posted": "That captain sounds shell-shocked. I don't know if I am quite ready to replace the line on my Avet 50 with 65 pound braid. That sound like a LOT of braid. But then again, I don't know what it feels like to get spooled...."

My post included both of the previous quotes (hence the quotation marks " ") from the previous two posts so as to continue the chain of thought (pretty common way of responding here on BD). And I truly believe most anglers would agree that getting spooled is never "a good feeling", and IMO no angler should ever intentionally allow themselves to get spooled for the reasons I stated in my post which every sport boat captain I know would fully agree with.

As far as putting "65 pound braid on an Avet 50" that's just ridiculous and makes zero sense to me or anyone who knows their gear and terminal well, and I don't believe you or any other experienced sport boat captain would ever seriously recommend that an angler setup a 50 big game size reel that way.

I apologize for any confusion on my part, my post was purely meant to respond to getting "spooled".

Tight lines and blue skies!

9. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Hey, Mike, again, congratulations on getting on that school of giants and actually getting 19 of them on the boat. That many for 12 anglers, some with rent rods, is remarkable!

Pretty sure this whole "50W" string of comments took off from the tackle talk at the end of the article where you were quoted as saying:

“We just didn't have the line capacity on what they brought.” He suggests the follow as a minimum for a bluefin trip:
    A 50 size, two-speed reel filled with 65-pound super braid, a 40- to 60-pound mono top shot (interchangeable), fluoro and ONLY circle hooks.

I think we all know you said a 50 lb reel, not a 50 size reel.

Just as you can't believe everything (anything) you read on the Internet, not everything published in WON is full of facts.

10. kona mike

kona mike Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Blue Horizon / personal skiff
    Thank you to all of you for the comments. I really try hard on any trip I am on, (As a deckhand or a Capt.) This trip will go down in my records as being a Fun, but Frustrating, and a very special trip in many ways. I am proud for Bil Pittsford and our passengers on that trip, and of course my crew. Considering all that happened to us on that day of the Giant Bluefin on Labor Day weekend.
    I recently bought a set up myself for the next time we find fish that out gun us. It's a kite, a kite rod, and a two speed 50 W, with 850 yards of 200 lb. spectra, (long range style). At least our passengers would have a shot at catching one at a time.
    But that kind of school is not likely to happen in one day range very often, BUT if I do have a shot at Jumbo's again WATCH OUT THERE WILL BE WOOD being put to um. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

11. ReelDealAngler

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    X2 [​IMG]

Got your PM Mike... we are all good, and hopefully any confusion regarding your true thoughts and honest suggestions (based on mucho experience) for the gear and terminal needed to tackle the larger grade BFT that have continually been in the mix this season has been clarified (at least here on BD)... keep up the great work!

12. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    That's a beautiful fish, Tim.

13. SALTYDAWG

SALTYDAWG Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sold it
    Great story, great to see Kona Mike doing what he does again

14. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Kona don't let these players on the internet get to you. I know and so do a lot of us know you can fish way better than most of us. And your tackle recommendations are always spot on. I only wish for the best for you Kona. Your a great person. I might have to jump on your boat some day.

15. HermosaJoe

HermosaJoe Well-Known "Member"

Gotta luv this guy, and I've never even fished with him. :)