fishordie

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Returned Thursday from another incredibly successful Gallaher/Excel 8 day adventure. I will write the trip up later but for now I have to show an amazing product I purchased from Jim Odlum of Atlas Sheet Metal located in Orange County California. This is a 12 rod piece of functional art. I have no idea why I waited so long to purchase one as I have several friends who have been turned on to this tool long ago but I am so glad I did. So easy to use. Hand tighten custom stainless screws to attach to the rail. No tools, no twisting hard to get a firm fasten. Nothing to it. The attachment is super firm as it held with no problem even though we got blasted from the edge of a Depression/hurricane building to the south of us. Never budged even though water and wind was pounding over the upper deck rails where this was attached. The addition of the round bar welded to the front side of the rack makes tying knots or testing connections a piece of cake.

The majority of the device is welded and powder-coated Aluminum weld-ment. The welds are beautiful. The connections and screws are all Stainless with welded T handles to make for ease of tightening. The rods and reels are protected by Delrin turned and inserted protectors while the 4 ends have larger Delrin inserts to protect from folks knocking into them and damaging the device.

Though I had to wait several, several months for mine the good news is Jim has 3 more un-painted, identical holders just waiting for a new owner to purchase one and tell him what color to powder coat it. These are an expensive device but worth every cent especially when most all of the rods normally mounted to the salon exterior walls with rubber holders went flying onto and along the non-skid deck as the seas mounted and came slamming over the sides. Lots of rod damage. I keep my rods in these racks and forget about them even in those rough seas. Just on this one trip the racks paid for themselves as none of my rods had any damage at all. P.M. me if you have any questions. Here are a few pics of mine. Clearly I chose a camouflage color so no one could see them..... Naaaaawwwt....

One disclosure:The only rod that would not fit in this rack was my U.C. Invictus as for some reason I left the aft grip and cap too large in diameter and meant to turn it down to my normal diameter. It had no problem with my U.C. Viper. If you have any questions make sure you measure the butt of your biggest diameter rod to make sure it will fit. However, I mounted two straps on the side of the device and attached the Invictus to it. Held beautifully even in the high seas. I thought I had some pictures with my reels attached but I do not.
The spacing is such that you can include your 50 sized reels with no problem.

I am not sure what took me so long to order this as other friends have had them for years and have raved about them.. I suppose the price get the best of me but turns out the money was one of the best long range investments I have made.... Along with the new Tackle box from Jaime, located in Ventura California. (Review coming next)

Give Jim a call if you are interested. You will not regret it.

Jamie

IMG_2115.JPG
IMG_2117.JPG
IMG_2114.JPG

Last edited:

Fish Asassin

one cast = one kill
May 16, 2012
San Diego / Baja
Name
Fred Garvin
Boat
U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
beatifully made piece. Where did you store it while actually fishing?

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
beatifully made piece. Where did you store it while actually fishing?
It stays attached on the upper level rail not on the deck level rail. It is attached at the start of the trip and does not come off until the end. Super easy.

Jamie

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Jamie it took you 6 years to finally get one....what took you so long is right.....

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
new Tackle box from Jaime, located in Ventura California. (Review coming next)

this I want to see.

Reactions: crabdancer

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
Having seen Jim's work in action I know that your assessment is spot on. I would go for one myself, but it is a bit too much $$$ for my budget. His design is very well thought out and perfectly executed.

-Connor

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Thanks Jim for my Beautiful Rod Rack.

I was a bit apprehensive about the rack being up there in rough seas, but the clamps and everything were really solid on our 8 day to the Island.

Here they are on the RP a couple weeks ago.

20160827_181150.jpg

Reactions: norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Thanks Jim for my Beautiful Rod Rack.

I was a bit apprehensive about the rack being up there in rough seas, but the clamps and everything were really solid on our 8 day to the Island.

Here they are on the RP a couple weeks ago.

View attachment 790365
Dammit.....Jamie calls me and teases me, now Andre post this pic. What to do, what to do?? Those are pretty sweet.... One question for Jamie - why does your rack have the small diameter cross bar welded across the rod holders and Andre's doesn't. Was this a special request?

Thanks for the temptation fellas....

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Dammit.....Jamie calls me and teases me, now Andre post this pic. What to do, what to do?? Those are pretty sweet.... One question for Jamie - why does your rack have the small diameter cross bar welded across the rod holders and Andre's doesn't. Was this a special request?

Mine has the small cross bar....standard issue....imo a must have.

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
Returned Thursday from another incredibly successful Gallaher/Excel 8 day adventure. I will write the trip up later but for now I have to show an amazing product I purchased from Jim Odlum of Atlas Sheet Metal located in Orange County California. This is a 12 rod piece of functional art. I have no idea why I waited so long to purchase one as I have several friends who have been turned on to this tool long ago but I am so glad I did. So easy to use. Hand tighten custom stainless screws to attach to the rail. No tools, no twisting hard to get a firm fasten. Nothing to it. The attachment is super firm as it held with no problem even though we got blasted from the edge of a Depression/hurricane building to the south of us. Never budged even though water and wind was pounding over the upper deck rails where this was attached. The addition of the round bar welded to the front side of the rack makes tying knots or testing connections a piece of cake.

The majority of the device is welded and powder-coated Aluminum weld-ment. The welds are beautiful. The connections and screws are all Stainless with welded T handles to make for ease of tightening. The rods and reels are protected by Delrin turned and inserted protectors while the 4 ends have larger Delrin inserts to protect from folks knocking into them and damaging the device.

Though I had to wait several, several months for mine the good news is Jim has 3 more un-painted, identical holders just waiting for a new owner to purchase one and tell him what color to powder coat it. These are an expensive device but worth every cent especially when most all of the rods normally mounted to the salon exterior walls with rubber holders went flying onto and along the non-skid deck as the seas mounted and came slamming over the sides. Lots of rod damage. I keep my rods in these racks and forget about them even in those rough seas. Just on this one trip the racks paid for themselves as none of my rods had any damage at all. P.M. me if you have any questions. Here are a few pics of mine. Clearly I chose a camouflage color so no one could see them..... Naaaaawwwt....

One disclosure:The only rod that would not fit in this rack was my U.C. Invictus as for some reason I left the aft grip and cap too large in diameter and meant to turn it down to my normal diameter. It had no problem with my U.C. Viper. If you have any questions make sure you measure the butt of your biggest diameter rod to make sure it will fit. However, I mounted two straps on the side of the device and attached the Invictus to it. Held beautifully even in the high seas. I thought I had some pictures with my reels attached but I do not.
The spacing is such that you can include your 50 sized reels with no problem.

I am not sure what took me so long to order this as other friends have had them for years and have raved about them.. I suppose the price get the best of me but turns out the money was one of the best long range investments I have made.... Along with the new Tackle box from Jaime, located in Ventura California. (Review coming next)

Give Jim a call if you are interested. You will not regret it.

Jamie

View attachment 790231 View attachment 790232 View attachment 790234
Great looking rack, but it's predicated that the upper deck has rail space available for it.

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on

Hi Doug. Me being the idiot I am ,put the cross bar on the wrong side. By the time I realized it, we were underway and the rods were in there already. I just said screw it and left it like that.

They are top notch.
Couple of things though, if more than one or two people have these racks on same trip there may be space problems .
On the Rp I took the only space available. Port side. They didn't want anything on stern or starboard railing. There was room for one rack only .

Roy was hysterical when he saw the thing. :)
Other boats may differ.

The Bushman

The Bushman
Mar 5, 2005
El Cajon
Name
Ken Bush
Boat
everyone elses
Jims racks are incredible! I've seen many in person. I may have to get one soon.

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Hi Doug. Me being the idiot I am ,put the cross bar on the wrong side. By the time I realized it, we were underway and the rods were in there already. I just said screw it and left it like that.

They are top notch.
Couple of things though, if more than one or two people have these racks on same trip there may be space problems .
On the Rp I took the only space available. Port side. They didn't want anything on stern or starboard railing. There was room for one rack only .

Roy was hysterical when he saw the thing. :)
Other boats may differ.
Thanks for the info Andre!

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Let's all get one. There's plenty of room upstairs on all the long range boats!
I agree, should be required gear for every angler. I'm having a specially designed one for my cane poles. Mine will have clips for the minner bucket and my cricket tube.

dtf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
Its going to be great when all the big guns get there own racks, should leave a lot of room for those who like to get there rods quickly with out having to go top deck.