Incognito, Inside dope

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Blackfish, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/07/richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-dolphins-lydon-murtha/

Incognito was made a scapegoat for the hell coming down on the Dolphins organization, which in turn said it knew nothing about any so-called hazing. That’s the most outlandish lie of this whole thing. The coaches know everything. The coaches know who’s getting picked on and in many cases call for that player to be singled out. Any type of denial on that side is ridiculous. I have friends on more than a dozen teams, and it’s the same everywhere. What people want to call bullying is something that is never going away from football. This is a game of high testosterone, with men hammering their bodies on a daily basis. You are taught to be an aggressive person, and you typically do not make it to the NFL if you are a passive person. There are a few, but it’s very hard. Playing football is a man’s job, and if there’s any weak link, it gets weeded out. It’s the leaders’ job on the team to take care of it..............

.............I don’t believe Richie Incognito bullied Jonathan Martin. I never saw Martin singled out, excluded from anything, or treated any differently than the rest of us. We’d have dinners and the occasional night out, and everyone was invited. He was never told he can’t be a part of this. It was the exact opposite. But when he came out, he was very standoffish. That’s why the coaches told the leaders,bring him out of his shell. Figure him out a little bit.
    That’s where Incognito ran into a problem. Personally, I know when a guy can’t handle razzing. You can tell that some guys just aren’t built for it. Incognito doesn’t have that filter. He was the jokester on the team, and he joked with everybody from players to coaches. That voicemail he sent came from a place of humor, but where he really screwed up was using the N-word. That, I cannot condone, and it’s probably the biggest reason he’s not with the team right now. Odd thing is, I’ve heard Incognito call Martin the same thing to his face in meetings and all Martin did was laugh. Many more worse things were said about others in the room from all different parties. It’s an Animal House. Now Incognito’s being slandered as a racist and a bigot, and unfortunately that’s never going to be wiped clean because of all the wrong he’s done people in his past. But if you really know who Richie is, he’s a really good, kind man and far from a racist.

2. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    He went to HS and lived about a mile from my house. There was media parked in front of the HS on Tuesday...don't these people have real stories to follow?

3. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"

Nope..........just a bunch of silly stuff like:
    Typhoon, Leaking Nuke Waste in Japan, Iran & N. Korea joing forces on Nuke progams, Ending occupation of Afghanistan, Somali Pirates, Fracking, Russia's Oil Claims in the Arctic, Immigration issues, Heathcare, Education, The Deficit, Lack of agreed upon Budget for America......

4. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Gopher Killer

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    :rofl::rofl: but what's the cardacian west baby doing?

5. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    In today's jargon, Martin was "bullied." Back in the day it was called hazing. Any male who ever played in contact sport either did it, or was subjected to it. It's just the way testerone driven males establish the pecking order.

All that said, I think it's legally problematic in the modern era to allow this activity to go on. Our legal system is such that it creates huge legal liability and preservation of the organization is paramount, so they will cut and run from this problem.

I personally was subject to hazing as a freshman on my college waterpolo team. Some of that happened right in front of the coach in a restaurant and he did nothing about it. I assessed the situation and concluded that a) there was no professional career in water polo, b) I could afford the then $125 per semester tuition and several hundred for books myself and thus did not need the scholarship, c) I did not relate to many of my dumb shit team mates who could barely handle the academics. I was there for school first, water polo was secondary. They were there for water polo, then afterwards would figure out what to do with the rest of their life. I walked and never looked back.

I suspect that Jonathan Martin, he being raised by Harvard educated parents that are practicing attorneys, and having graduated from Stanford himself, really did not relate to a tatted up goon who was atop their little NFL playground. Nah Jonathan finally came to his senses that there was more to HIS life than bashing his body and brain against childish teammates who's career ends when his playing days are over. Jonathan Martin will undoubtedly stick the Miami Dolphins with a. Multi-million dollar lawsuit, settle and use that to attend law school or med school where he can use his brain for the rest of his life. He'll be able to afford season tickets to watch the goons smash their bodies on Sundays while he's enjoying prawns and sipping champagne from the c-suite, kinda like a modern day version of Gladiators.

6. middleofnowhere

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    Hazing (done right) plays an important role in the maturation of men. It can be a "right of passage" and one's performance and character can be determined by how they deal with being hazed. Bullying and terrorism are not the same thing as hazing.

7. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    Toughening Maartin up should have been kept to the field... anything off the field was crossing the line... This is the new America we live in, like it or not. Just ask Bob Filner, or Joe Paterno's ghost.

America isnt "America" anymore.

8. kodiak2858

kodiak2858 Member

Name:
    Roger Aulabaugh
    Boat:
    N/A
    MiddleofNowhere:

"Hazing (done right) plays an important role in the maturation of men. It can be a "right of passage" and one's performance and character can be determined by how they deal with being hazed. Bullying and terrorism are not the same thing as hazing."

Uhh, No...don't think so. Hazing has nothing to do with "the maturation of men" but rather emphasizes that the hazers have a hell of a long way to go to maturity. . Look up "hazing" in just about any dictionary and you'll find reference to "bullying" and "terrorizing." Because that is exactly what it is.

Strackle99:

"This is the new America we live in, like it or not. Just ask Bob Filner, or Joe Paterno's ghost."

This implies that child sexual abuse by coaches, or knowledge of same, was OK in the "Old America." Hope that's not what you were intending...never has been that way in MY America.

9. middleofnowhere

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    Go watch an episode of Deadliest Catch, what the crew does to greenhorns is called "hazing". How the rookie handles it lets the crew know if they have a team player or not. Hazing puts artificial stress on a guy, lets others evaluate how he handles a difficult situation. If the new guy does well, the old timers will know they have someone they can count on when their lives are on the line. Hazers do not do it for their own self gratification. The criminals you cited are just plain criminals, they preyed on their victims.

I went through a couple of hazing rituals in my life, and am very proud of it. I am tight with those guys still to this day, many years later, wouldn't change it for the world.

10. kodiak2858

kodiak2858 Member

Name:
    Roger Aulabaugh
    Boat:
    N/A
    I'm glad you had a good experience with hazing. But I suggest the majority of "hazers" DO participate for their own gratification and few have the welfare of the squad/group/team/hazee in mind. I also maintain that training and preparation will turn the "new guys" into "someone they can count on when their lives are on the line." I spent 4 years as relief skipper and deck crew on a 123' Bering Sea patrol boat for the State of Alaska (out there with the Deadliest Catch guys), and 20+ years as an Alaska Fish and Wildlife Trooper. TRAINING and mutual respect builds the kind of guys I want watching my back when things go to :shithappens:. Just my opinion.

11. carcass

carcass Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    None
    Damn, I had baseball bats thrown at me by the coach. And when I had a passed ball during a game, the next day I was practicing blocking balls in the dirt thrown by a pitching machine set at 90mph, and all I had for padding was a facemask and glove.

Kids nowadays have it so easy. Some little words to hurt some feelings is one thing as a kid, but ADULTS? Good Lord, the PC commies have gone haywire. I bet that dudes balck friends called him the N word and he likely used it himself. Man up for Gods sake. If he didn't like the way he was talked to, he could have landed a big fist in Incognitos mouth to shut him up. Namecalling has been part of sports since its initial concept.

12. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    As soon as they're doing it for a paycheck, it's a job and the employer has all sorts of liability for the workplace environment. Employer's have a$$ets and lawyers view that as a target. And so here we are today.

13. smokinwater

smokinwater "Fire's Out!"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine
    Never played HS football, but did wrestle 4yrs. Coaches knew everything about everything. I tend to believe Blackfish's point about management for the 'Fins. I would think the scouting people would have had much better "intel" before they ever offered up a contract. By the time I turn on a game, I don't want to hear about these guys' "feelings" getting hurt, much less their arrests or drug issues. Team owners/GM's need to get their shit together and keep a lid on their players antics. Like there are a limited number of guys willing or able to play??

14. Jig Strike

Jig Strike Old Man . . . . .

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    It almost sounds like you are not a lawyer.

:rofl:

15. reelbadlarry

reelbadlarry Member

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    23ft parker, reel bad
    Another nail in the coffin...the pussification continues.....

If he didn't like it...he could leave any time...why bring the whole game down with you?

Let the brain dead fools have their game....I mean we are not all as smart as some of the people on this board think they are.

16. DITCH CLEANER

DITCH CLEANER Newbie

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    party
    As A shy kid I was hazed some but I put up with it and was a better person for it. If he cant handle what his teammate did he needed to Man up and hit the fool in the mouth or speak his piece.. Today I just let the fools be fools and leave it alone. This is bullshit going to the media about it. Just a way to make quick money without doing the work.:shithappens:

17. fishboy93

fishboy93 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Who’s hiring?
    Played baseball all my life even up till now. Every new team especially high school there's been hazing and it's fine. It's a part of gaining respect or building a relationship with your team mates, if the cry baby didn't like it he should've been a man and handled it himself instead of with some bs paperwork. I can remember freshman year I was an immature ball player taking crap from the varsity guys, told them to shove it one day when enough was enough and they backed off and respected me for it. I hate the term bullying when it's in conjunction with a persons words, words aren't going to harm you... It's just another way to raise a bunch of girly men

18. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy