In the water report. Excel 6 day Lupe trip.

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
We ended up leaving a day later because Mother Nature was in charge. San Diego had wind and rain so departing a day later was a smart move. Everyone spent the night and we departed fisherman’s landing around 4am. So let’s talk fishing Guadalupe island. First day was windy and cold. Fishing this trip was on the slow side but the fish were big and powerful. Lots of 100+ pound tuna were landed this trip and some HUGE YELLOWTAIL going 40-65 pounds that put anglers to the test. Fishing a 1/0 - 2/0 60 pound fluro was the trick to getting a bite. You really had to put in rail time and change your bait every 4-5 minutes. Fishing those big yellowtail you better be fishing 80 with a jig and 100 dropper lupe. The group was a pleasure to fish with and the crew of the BIG X were stellar.

C27464CC-925A-4004-8AFB-C807CF3FBCF7.jpeg

DFB1A2BA-A69D-47DF-8EEC-F8956777ACFD.jpeg

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Thanks for checking in SODA.... sounds like the LUPE remains consistant. You can get them.... but your gonna have to work for them.... hard. Nice post and picts.... good luck.... be safe.... Happy Holidays Brother!

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

baja_01

May 29, 2015
    Name
    Ryan F
    Boat
    panga
    Was a super fun and challenging trip, but I managed to knock off my two goals for the trip, a 3 digit tuna on fly line (106lbs) and a big ass yellow tail (52lbs) on my slow pitch jig setup, and unlocked the secret bonus mission of being on a Soda Pop trip all in one go.

If I'm not on next years trip another Guadalupe trip is definitely on the menu when time and finances allow, that island is just something special.

The crew and the boat lived up to its reputation, and we had great mix of fun and different guys fishing.

52_8_yellowtail.jpg

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    STOKED for you Brother! I think Guadalupe put the "Proverbial" hook in you ....for sure! Your a TRUE "Long Ranger" now. Personal bests.... and what a pict.... that YT .... thats a beast brother. Good for you!!

Next step .... 8 - 10 day. You have the equiptment.... just augment with the "right" combos... you'll be set! Nice post.... great picts.

Reactions: big_niko_
    Upvote 0

Jmetz

• Oct 17, 2021
    Canada
    Name
    Larry Metz
    Boat
    Hewescraft 190 Searunner
    Was a super fun and challenging trip, but I managed to knock off my two goals for the trip, a 3 digit tuna on fly line (106lbs) and a big ass yellow tail (52lbs) on my slow pitch jig setup, and unlocked the secret bonus mission of being on a Soda Pop trip all in one go.

If I'm not on next years trip another Guadalupe trip is definitely on the menu when time and finances allow, that island is just something special.

The crew and the boat lived up to its reputation, and we had great mix of fun and different guys fishing.

View attachment 1342207

How was that battle on your slowpitch set up? Can't imagine that cage fight. Did the rod put a beating on the fish? Gotta give some details (please)

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing

View attachment 1342207
    Ryan it was great sharing the rail with you. Nice fat Yellowtail. Great job on the jig stick.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence

View attachment 1342207
    Strong kid, he just holds that 52 pounder up like it was nothing, poor fish didn't stand a chance.

Upvote 0

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
    Sep 28, 2011
    Mountain View
    Name
    Jonny
    Boat
    SD landings
    Baja_01

Congrats! Thats super awesome!

Can you share details about you slow pitch setup? I've been very intrigued by slow pitch (I do a lot of speed high vertical jigging)

Thanks!

Upvote 0

baja_01

May 29, 2015
    Name
    Ryan F
    Boat
    panga
    I've been slowly working my way to a bigger collection of stuff. That fish was caught on a Goofish Black PE3-6 rod with an Accurate BV-500N. 50 pound Daiwa j braid with an 80 lb floro leader and a Johnny jigs jig of some kind (not sure of the exact one, came in one of the jig variety packs they sell). I used a single heavy duty mustad assist hook on the top. There were a ton of small white fish around and it seemed to help with not hooking every single one. Could have resulted in a few missed hook ups later on in the trip but its very hard to tell fish size with the rod until they start trying to pull drag.

My only complaint with the setup so far is the 500N has an issue with changing the drag setting after a few drops. It was an ebay find so it may have been setting on a shelf for who knows how long and just needs serviced but it did make the fight more challenging than it needed to be as full drag felt around 10lbs max. Took a lot of thumb work to bring it in.

As far as the fight, I think it went pretty easy. Not sure on the time, maybe 5-10 mins, its hard to tell when you are pulling on a fish. Conditions were absolutely as perfect as they could get. It was early morning, no wind and very little current. We were on the tuna grounds so the bottom wasn't super sticky reef. Half the boat was still waking up and the other half that was fishing were all flylining so I had the bottom all to myself and nobody to get tangled up in.

The goofish rod isn't what I would classify as a true slow pitch rod, its got some backbone to pull against the fish with and worked great for keeping constant tension on the fish. That and being a "cheap" rod I used it with out fear to my pocketbook to put a lot of pressure on the fish. At some fish strength range you would have to switch over to using the reel as a wench and pulling it up every inch but this fight was still in the fun to fight range with that combo.

I wasn't able to connect with another sold fish on the trip with it again to compare, but I did like the light weight of the set up allowing me to jig as much as I wanted. There was one nice evening bite on slug yellowtail that only wanted dropper loop live bait so it was not a magic bullet by any means.

Negatives to be aware of, as far as I could tell:
    1. Almost nobody will know what you are doing, this includes deckhands.
    2. Going over someone with a fish would be a nightmare, and doing a tango with another live fish would be even worse.
    3. If you get in a tangle with someone(s) keeping control of the fish and lifting up the mess enough for the deckhands to get you clear will be near impossible.
    4. You have very limited line capacity.
    5. Might be a personal choice, but avoid the standard 4 assist hook setup. Its much more dangerous for the deckhands and you will kill a lot of local fish that you can't keep at Guadalupe. This will mean you miss some hookups.

With those in mind I stuck to lower rail count days or low activity times. If there were 15+ dropper loops out I pulled it in and switched or if there were several fish being fought I pulled it in.

Over all it worked out great and I will definitely be bringing a SPJ setup on future long range trips.

Scook
    Scook
    Accurate is notorious for drag issues you experienced...
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
    Sep 28, 2011
    Mountain View
    Name
    Jonny
    Boat
    SD landings
    I've been slowly working my way to a bigger collection of stuff. That fish was caught on a Goofish Black PE3-6 rod with an Accurate BV-500N. 50 pound Daiwa j braid with an 80 lb floro leader and a Johnny jigs jig of some kind (not sure of the exact one, came in one of the jig variety packs they sell). I used a single heavy duty mustad assist hook on the top. There were a ton of small white fish around and it seemed to help with not hooking every single one. Could have resulted in a few missed hook ups later on in the trip but its very hard to tell fish size with the rod until they start trying to pull drag.

My only complaint with the setup so far is the 500N has an issue with changing the drag setting after a few drops. It was an ebay find so it may have been setting on a shelf for who knows how long and just needs serviced but it did make the fight more challenging than it needed to be as full drag felt around 10lbs max. Took a lot of thumb work to bring it in.

As far as the fight, I think it went pretty easy. Not sure on the time, maybe 5-10 mins, its hard to tell when you are pulling on a fish. Conditions were absolutely as perfect as they could get. It was early morning, no wind and very little current. We were on the tuna grounds so the bottom wasn't super sticky reef. Half the boat was still waking up and the other half that was fishing were all flylining so I had the bottom all to myself and nobody to get tangled up in.

The goofish rod isn't what I would classify as a true slow pitch rod, its got some backbone to pull against the fish with and worked great for keeping constant tension on the fish. That and being a "cheap" rod I used it with out fear to my pocketbook to put a lot of pressure on the fish. At some fish strength range you would have to switch over to using the reel as a wench and pulling it up every inch but this fight was still in the fun to fight range with that combo.

I wasn't able to connect with another sold fish on the trip with it again to compare, but I did like the light weight of the set up allowing me to jig as much as I wanted. There was one nice evening bite on slug yellowtail that only wanted dropper loop live bait so it was not a magic bullet by any means.

Negatives to be aware of, as far as I could tell:
    1. Almost nobody will know what you are doing, this includes deckhands.
    2. Going over someone with a fish would be a nightmare, and doing a tango with another live fish would be even worse.
    3. If you get in a tangle with someone(s) keeping control of the fish and lifting up the mess enough for the deckhands to get you clear will be near impossible.
    4. You have very limited line capacity.
    5. Might be a personal choice, but avoid the standard 4 assist hook setup. Its much more dangerous for the deckhands and you will kill a lot of local fish that you can't keep at Guadalupe. This will mean you miss some hookups.

With those in mind I stuck to lower rail count days or low activity times. If there were 15+ dropper loops out I pulled it in and switched or if there were several fish being fought I pulled it in.

Over all it worked out great and I will definitely be bringing a SPJ setup on future long range trips.
    Thank you very much for the detailed writeup! Those goofish rods seem like a great way to try out SPJ without busting the bank~

Congrats again on that beautiful fish. Catching a yellowtail over 50 pounds is a special thing!

Upvote 0