I'n not a diesel guy, need help on pros/cons Ford 6.0

Discussion in 'Camping & 4x4' started by DawnPatrol, Jan 28, 2012.

1. DawnPatrol

DawnPatrol Cora's & Hollis' GrandPa

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    2520 Parker SL 250 Yammie
    Looking for really any make diesel that can run on the high sulfur used in Southern Baja (I understand that all diesel in North Baja is now low sulfur).

I am looking at a 2006 Ford F250 Super duty with a 6.0.
    Any comments on this engine (has 33,000 miles on it)

What other late model diesels can run on both types of diesel?

Thanks for you suggestions and comments

Alan

2. cdtuey

cdtuey Member

Name:
    chris tuey
    Boat:
    n/a
    They are good running engines till they have a problem. Then if you take it to the dealer you are looking at $1200 to $2000 every time. If you fix them yourself you are looking at $500 to $1000 for just about any part you buy.
    I work on them at work we have 5 trucks with the 6.0 in them. personaling i think the the advantage to have a diesel is not worth the up keep. The fuel is to high priced and with out a tax right off for repairs they cost to much.

3. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    My buddy owns an auto repair shop in Grand Junction. His quote, "The 6.0 is the bread and butter of his shop."

4. uriast

uriast Member

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    262 skipjack
    Since ive owned diesels, i would never go back to gas. All i do is tow with them. Ive had two fords, always trans problems. I personaly would not get another ford. I now have a dodge, (knock on wood) no problems. Two of my other friends have switched to dodge.

5. DawnPatrol

DawnPatrol Cora's & Hollis' GrandPa

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    2520 Parker SL 250 Yammie
    Thanks for all the response on the 6.0

Now, what OTHER late model diesel can run on both high & low sulphur fuels?

6. cdtuey

cdtuey Member

Name:
    chris tuey
    Boat:
    n/a
    the sulfer in the fuel is a lubricant for the top end, when you have problems is putting low sulfer in the older engines with out adding some additives to make up for the loss lubricant in the fuel. they will run fine just wear the top end faster.

7. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Should be any diesel before they started adding the diesel particulate filters (DPF). That started in the middle of 2007. So you should be say with pre-2007 trucks.

I would personally avoid the 6.0 Powerstroke. There are those out there that have had trouble free use, but it should be noted that Ford sued Navistar over the incredible warranty repair claims on this engine. Also, they blow head gaskets and to gain appropriate access to do the work you must remove the cab.

8. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    There's low sulfur diesel, then there's the current Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD). If you run a low sulfur diesel in an engine designed to use ULSD, you will clog up the Diesel Particulate Filter much faster. All refiners add lubrication additives to the ULSD to offset the loss of lubricity from the missing sulfur.

9. Aggro

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Is'nt the biggest issue down there just finding diesel?

10. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    No. Basically, in Mexico diesel is the fuel of commerce. They subsidize it, so it's way cheaper than gas and it's everywhere. Last I heard it was about $2.70 a gallon down there. Also consider that with the extended range, you're looking at 2 to 3 fill ups to get all the way down the peninsula, as opposed to filling or topping off at every station with gas.

11. pura vida

pura vida Pura Vida II

Name:
    Gene Miller
    Boat:
    Pura Vida II, 500 mile range
    I've had a Ford F350, Diesels since 87, and currently have the 2007 with the 6.0.
    I pull 16,000 and the truck has always done a great job for me.

That's the good news.

In 2010 with only 60,000 miles on the engine, Ford had to pull the engine to replace the head bolts and head gasket...thank god for the extended warranty. To compensate me for my trouble, they gave me a 200,000 mile warranty with no deductible.

Last year on my way to Canada, the exhaust gas cooler went out, and Ford towed me and the boat 68 miles to the launch ramp in Bellingham, launched me, and then took the truck to the shop for the repair while I was on the water for 2 weeks. That's the short accounting)

Ford has sense replaced the engine with one they built, but with the extended warranty, I can't buy a new truck for a few years. The transmission is great; never a problem.

I guess you could say I am a Ford man

12. bullshooter

bullshooter Member

Name:
    Monty
    Boat:
    24' Seahawk OS
    Get a 5.9 cummins. they were available up to the middle of 07. They will run on all diesel. As far as the 6.0 ford goes, I kinda wish I was a ford tech instead of a dodge tech at times. Theres a lot of money to be made on them fords. I have only worked on a handfull of the 6.0 Powerjokes but everytime I did it was a 3000+ repair

13. Aggro

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Is it hard to get a wrench then? I'm just wondering why a lot of people dump the oil burners down there for gassers.

14. bellcon

bellcon Member

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    prowler trident 15
    I have 2 vehicles with the 6.0
    a 2004 excursion and a 2006 f250
    both have been great trucks, towing our 30'+ trailer
    and being basically daily drivers for the family and business

Having said that I spent 2k on the excursion last year for the egr cooler / oil cooler (out of warranty)... replaced parts with after market "bullet proof" parts

and
    my f250 has been in the shop for almost 2 weeks...
    new egr cooler/ oil cooler and new head gaskets / bolts
    say they will be done Monday, all work being covered by extended warranty

so i would say the ford 6.0 on one hand is a great motor, does the job a diesel is supposed to do
    On the other hand it is a total piece of shit with well known problems

Talk about issues
    anyone ever experience the "DEATH wobble" of a ford F250 front end?
    thats some scary chit!

15. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Could be that on the more modern diesels technical know how is lacking away from major metro areas, which is basically most of Baja.

Over the Holidays, I had a guy from Barra de Navidad, MX stop by to time his diesel ('95 Suburban with 6.5TD). He posted on www.thetruckstop.com that he would be in the area and needed someone with the GMTD ScanTech software to set the TDCO (Top Dead Center Offset) on his Injection Pump. I have the software, which works on OBD I controlled trucks ('95 and earlier). He had a rebuilt pump installed down in Mexico and the mechanic timed it by ear. He did a pretty damn good job by ear as it was at -0.62 and GM specs specify -0.5 to -1.50. The techies will set it at -1.94 for most horsepower, but the clatter can get loud on a real cold morning (not an issue in CA or MX). I reset it at -1.23 and sent him happily on his way.

All that said, the 6.5TD is an IDI (Indirect Injection) diesel, which is pretty old technology vs the direct injection and common rail technology. New injectors for the 6.5TD are $300 for a set of 8. A single new injector for the 6.0 can cost $400. Just more complicated stuff on the newer diesels, which could limit the sophisticated wrench availability down in MX.

I bought my '95 Suburban K2500 4wd with 6.5TD (now my son's) with the intention of towing boats down Baja with it. Previously I was towing 20' center consoles with a '73 Ford Bronco, which is about as crudely simple as trucks come and infinitely fixable anywhere in Baja. The '95 suffered from cooling problems which were ultimately rectified in later models. The heat build up while towing grades was such that I never dared take it down there. We have since done all the upgrades and mods to the '95 and it now runs cool towing up grades and with adjustable programming it has plenty of power. The 6.5TD was never a popular engine, though the military still uses it in the Hummer. It basically is the VW of diesel engines: easy to work on and parts are relatively cheap.

16. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    You mean this death wobble:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8EuQ6f8rgT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PSDBCV-gcs8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. bellcon

bellcon Member

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    prowler trident 15
    BiggestT--YES!
    that's the death wobble I was talking about
    It can be some scary chit when that happens

I'm sure it has caused many accidents
    I bet one day (if not already) it will cause a fatality!

first time it happened I thought my truck was falling apart at the seams
    I had stock tires and air pressure

Fords response?
    make sure you have proper tire inflation?:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    I have since put on a set of new tires and went 20k with no death wobble
    but they are starting to show wear... so the death wobble has come back

Ford has sent a couple letters about the issue... same bs: "proper tire inflation is the cure":shithappens:

ever hear of a real cure?
    if you lift your truck they wash their hands of the issue... but i hear the right kit actually helps

Damn american trucks, I have owned the top of line models of all 3 dodge-chevy-ford
    and all of them had their issues...ALL 3 OF THEM!

May look into a toyota tundra next:Exploding_Smiley:

18. s//m_cinco

s//m_cinco Member

Name:
    X
    Boat:
    X

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  19. bellcon

bellcon Member

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    prowler trident 15
    Is that a typo?
    or did you really spend 20k on that pos?

20. s//m_cinco

s//m_cinco Member

Name:
    X
    Boat:
    X

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017