In need of WSB samples for mercury analysis

saltierdog

Mar 5, 2007
ca
Name
joe
Boat
26 Twin Vee
Many of us have had their mercury level tested to find it to be elevated. For years I've been trying to get government agencies to test adult WSB. The only analyses that has ever been done was in 2003 at that time 9 fish were sampled all but two were 28-30 inches representing just legal fish. The mercury content was on average 0.2PPM which alone should have triggered the development of guidance but because the sample size was too small there has never been any guidance with regard to how much how often and whom should consume.

From a NOOA scientist :
Based on the federal guidelines (https://www.fda.gov/media/102331/download), white sea bass probably fall somewhere between "Good" choices (i.e., no more than 1 serving per week that is no bigger than the palm of your hand) and "Choices to Avoid", Developing guidance for white sea bass consumption is the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard and Assessment (OEHHA). They are the state agency that is responsible for assessing risks associated with fish consumption in California and releasing fish consumption advisories. That being said, creating an advisory for that species will require a fair amount of data. I'd be willing to bet that if you provide them with data from your 50 lb animals, there's a decent chance that the mercury levels will be high enough to trigger a "do not consume" advisory for all white sea bass. Ideally, the advisory would be based on a range of sizes starting with the legal size and extending up to the big animals that you target. That way, it might be possible to structure an advisory that provides guidance on the biggest fish that is safe to eat on a regular basis, keeping in mind that the "safe" consumption of top predators is typically limited to the one meal per week or less.

So at this point I have finally found a Lab at Moss Landing that will do analysis for me. The cost will be about $125 per sample with a minimum of 20 fish.

So I'm am reaching out to the fishing and spearing community to help me conduct this study

What I need is a 1 inch cube of your fish skin on and frozen (vacuum sealed is preferred)
The sample should be taken from right behind the gill plate for standardization
I need total length of the fish, sex and gutted weight (gross weigh as well )

You can call or text me 310 529-8663 to arrange pickup of your sample

I have also set up a go-fund me if anyone is interested in helping out
https://www.gofundme.com/manage/mercury-content-in-californiawhite-seabass-by-size?utm_medium=email&utm_source=product&utm_campaign=p_email+2300-co-team-welcome

page 79 WSB data
https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/www3/region9/superfund/pvshelf/pdf/montrose_report.pdf

https://oehha.ca.gov/media/downloads/fish/document/fishsamplingprotocol2005.pdf

1 inch cube.jpg

Last edited:

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Nice effort! I will keep this in mind. (With a little luck) I should have your 20 by the end of the month! It would be good to know, but if the sample data comes back hot, what then? Spear and release? Wish there was a way to leach it out. Thanks for your effort getting this going. Is Hubbs going to be involved in any way?

Upvote 0

saltierdog

Mar 5, 2007
    ca
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    26 Twin Vee
    Nice effort! I will keep this in mind. (With a little luck) I should have your 20 by the end of the month! It would be good to know, but if the sample data comes back hot, what then? Spear and release? Wish there was a way to leach it out. Thanks for your effort getting this going. Is Hubbs going to be involved in any way?
    I have asked Hubbs about this in the past pretty much no one wants to help. Thus I'm doing this alone. I think the greatest benifit to obtaining this data is to provide facts for women of child bearing age and children under 5 mercury typically follows a 2 consumer advisory one for men and one for women and children. Thanks for your comment and help!

Upvote 0

kimorb

Almost A Member
    Sep 10, 2005
    Golden Hill
    Name
    Richard Baldwin
    Boat
    I wish
    I have asked Hubbs about this in the past pretty much no one wants to help. Thus I'm doing this alone. I think the greatest benifit to obtaining this data is to provide facts for women of child bearing age and children under 5 mercury typically follows a 2 consumer advisory one for men and one for women and children. Thanks for your comment and help!
    Are you going to get total mercury, or organic mercury ? Just wondering as we may be able to run it in our lab for cheaper. It's a really neat thing to be trying to find out and I'd be really interested to see the data.

Reactions: HUTLOC
    Upvote 0

saltierdog

Mar 5, 2007
    ca
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    26 Twin Vee
    Are you going to get total mercury, or organic mercury ? Just wondering as we may be able to run it in our lab for cheaper. It's a really neat thing to be trying to find out and I'd be really interested to see the data.
    Hi It will be total mercury. The manager and lab I am using at Moss Landing is the official lab (and director) for the statewide fish contamination monitoring program.
    https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/swamp/bioaccumulation_monitoring.html

Therefore, without question or further validation all these results will get plugged directly into the OEHHA database and If we are able to analyze fish across the weight length spectrum the state authorities will be able to set real guidelines for consumption.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Some folks have an inability to detoxify, and cannot metabolize or remove mercury. This makes it even more important to know. Can you repost the OP in the spearfishing section?

Upvote 0

saltierdog

Mar 5, 2007
    ca
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    26 Twin Vee
    It's more complicated that just the levels of mercury.... the amount of selenium also needs to be tested.

Yea that is correct however the guidelines for consumption in children and women of childbearing age do not take that into account. Selenium may protect me from from developing Alzheimers But as a Pediatrician, what im realy intrested in is whether we should be feeding these larger animals to our children or not and I really dont have a good answer because there is no data right now

Last edited:
    Reactions: halibutslayer
    Upvote 0

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
    Name
    Bru
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    Would love to help with sampling, and look forward to seeing any results.

I know of a private lab in Anahiem that can test for methyl mercury in fish tissues, if it doesn't work out with the other lab.

Reactions: saltierdog
    Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
    west coast
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    a fish killing center console
    we gotta die from something. i can care less how much mercury is in fish.

Upvote 0