In need of trailer help

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by hawksfan75, Sep 19, 2013.

1. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    Hanging my head in boat owner shame...

So, I am replacing my second axle in three months. The bearings spun and the hub wobbled and caused a bunch of damage to the spindle. There's a couple of problems with this. The first is three fucking months?!?!? When the shop did the last replacement, they told me, "check it at 1,000 miles, all set." So, I have about 500 miles on the trailer and actually was planning on pulling everything off that weekend anyway.

When I pulled the dust cap off the other side, all that came out was water. No visible grease and after I pumped a 3oz tube in there, none was coming out. I almost had a double failure...

So, here's where I'm at: Dexter axles don't sell just spindles and so I have to take the whole axle off. The bolts holding the leaf springs on are rusted shut. Torch/impact gets those off. Now, I need to swap all the components such as the break backing plates etc... All of the nuts to the studs are rusted too. And, to top it off, the T at the brake line was rusted shut too, so I have to replace the brake lines.

Here's what I need: Any advice on dealing with rusted bolts/nuts? I was thinking some teflon tape on the threads before putting it back together. Any reason why/why not? Any better solutions for the brake T-coupler so the brass fittings don't rust shut? What do you guys do for rust prevention? I try to be meticulous about wash downs, but if we're camping or out for more than a day, it can be difficult to be thorough.
    And, I'm taking some fault for not checking the parts better/more often, but 500 miles, really? Anybody want to come over and help? I pay in cash and/or beer :rofl:

2. Stryker20

Stryker20 Subtle as a Hand Grenade

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Still searching
    I got your back man.

You have a PM.

3. hawksfan75

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    Mike, you really are like the guardian angel for Bloody Decks Washington brothers, aren't you? I'll give a ring this afternoon...

4. fishchasr

fishchasr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    2052 Trophy "Reelaxation"
    If financially possible, sounds like a good time to replace the whole trailer with one that has disk brakes.

5. Stryker20

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Still searching
    Aww, your too sweet........... Wanna fuck later?

Seriously though............ gimme a ring before you throw any more money at that thing.

6. whido isle

whido isle capt

Name:
    jay
    Boat:
    25' amf SS245 o/s (bart's legacy)
    watch out might want too cuddle afterwards :rofl: :rofl:

7. TunaHore

TunaHore World Champion Boat Ho

Name:
    Tuck
    Boat:
    Carolina Dory
    And stryker wants to be paid in sheep

8. hawksfan75

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    I do want to cuddle. Fair warning, my wife's 7-months pregnant ;)

I wish I had half the depth of knowledge and skill that Mike has. I wouldn't be making dopey posts like this one ;)

9. BugeaterInWa

BugeaterInWa Fear the Corn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    FIFY

10. Stryker20

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Still searching
    FIFY?

Enlighten me?

11. BugeaterInWa

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    Fixed it for you.

12. Stryker20

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Still searching
    Oh, I see what you did there.........

Haters gonna hate.......... Don't be jealous bro.

13. BugeaterInWa

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    hehehehe, not hatin, everyone needs lovins bro! Go get you some!

14. Hoghunter

Hoghunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    nonya
    How long have you had the trailer? I've had my current triple axle for ten years and it looks no worse for wear. It gets lot's of saltwater dunks in a year. I spray everything the best I can but with the boat loaded which is when you need to do it the spray just can't get everywhere. Sounds like your whole wheel assemblies are toast. The only way most of the above happens is lack of maintenance is lacking a bunch. It might be time to just dump it and buy another good used trailer. Or spend the money to get the new parts you need and assemble them. Then do regular maintenance and your trailer will last a long time. No grease in the bearings tells me it was greased very little and not packed before putting the cap on. Either that or the back seal is leaking. If the seal is leaking you will be able to tell by looking at the back side of the assembly.

Few tips for future maintenance:

Brake fluid dissolves teflon tape so that's a waste. If brake connection is leaking then either the flare is split or the line is cracked inside the nut.

Spray your rollers and all swivel points with a heavy duty corrosion spray. I use LPS 3 and it works great for lubing and protecting. I do this every 4 to 6 months.

Check your fluid reservoir frequently. If it's dropped then you have a leak. You would then check your connections.

It's a good idea to remove the lug nuts every year to two, wire scrub the threads etc and put them back on.

You can keep springs from rusting by pouring motor oil on them every so often. I save my used oil and do this all the time now and it does make a difference.

Check all your wiring and make sure the wires aren't getting chaffed where the exit or enter trailer frame and cross members. If it looks like they are then put a rubber grommet in the hole if you can. If that's not possible then I will wrap several inches of the wire heavily with electric tape.

Mike knows what he's doing so I'm sure he will come up with a good solution for you. Good luck.

15. jet2go

jet2go Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    26' Silver Streak, Twin 200 Suzukis, 9.9 yami, "Outta Line"
    antiseize on the threads at assembly works wonders. I put it on my lug nuts too. This summer I had to replace all my brake lines though, and went with stainless this time, hoping they will last longer. And it sounds like your original mechanic didn't grease the bearing very well - even with leaky seals they should have lasted longer than 500 miles!

16. Eric, I have a 2003 model trailer new. I was checking my wheel bearings every year to start with, they were good 3 years running. Then I stated checking 1 wheel a year, and a different wheel every year. Then I got complacent and didn't check them for over 2 years. And it bit me, I had a wheel float away at the boat launch.
    I bought a used alum I beam trailer with disc brakes that I found in Portland.

Now I have my old trailer that I just took some pic's of and am going to put it for sale on CL for $500.00.

You can get closed end lug nuts that keep the water off the threads, they work very well.

Good luck on a new trailer.