In Need Of Guidance

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by TheNewGuy, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Xue

Xue Member

Name:
    Xue
    Boat:
    None
    Tell what type of fishing you wanna do and people can let you know what you need.

2. fishstomp

fishstomp Picaroon

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    18' Seaswirl
    Welcome to the deck newguy! So here is my tip. When you get on the boat, after the stop at the bait barge and when things settle down, find a deckhand that isn't too busy. Go up and introduce yourself and tell him you're new at this sport boat thing. Ask him to show you how to pin a bait on. Not just how to slide the hook in and where, but how to pick out a really good bait. And how to scoop it up and hold it correctly. That is without a doubt the most important skill you will learn. You'll catch more fish and have a much better time. And that will keep you coming back to do it again. And watch the 10% guys that are hooking up again and again. Pay attention to how they are casting and feeding out their line. Good luck! Hope to see you out there.....

Chicago Pete, shellback and RichG like this.
  3. mindbent

mindbent Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    one that floats
    Freshwater or saltwater? Two different animals. If salt then go jump on a 1/2 to full day boat (hope you don't get seasick). Talk and listen to deckhands and those catching fish. If you don't like the boat you got on then try another one until you find the boat you feel most comfortable on. Rent the gear from the landing until you learn what you like and don't like so you can make a better decision when you do buy your own stuff. Also want to buy from a good reputable tackle shop so you don't walk out with gear that you don't need. Fishing freshwater again, get what's comfortable for you and according to what your fishing for. The rest is just time on the water weather fresh or salt. So just go fishin and have fun. Having fun is the important part.

RichG likes this.
  4. wii888lo

wii888lo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    ricky
    Boat:
    ricky
    grew up in oakland myself and do come back 1-2 times a month
    and still fish here once a while
    get a spinner reel
    get a 9-10ft pole
    since u don't have a boat u are gonna be mostly fishing from shore
    right now alameda beach and emeryville have stripers biting
    u will also catch sharks and rays also a few butts mix in
    or u can get a 7ft rods and jump on a few charther in emerville and do butt and stripers in the bay and rock cods at the fallon's
    they are also catching salmon
    lake chabot got some trout and bass
    delta got stripers and some largemouth and if u lucky sturgeon
    san deigo tuna fishing is another beast ...get some time and slowly things will come ...hmu if u need anything

5. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    Years ago I would have bit my tongue.
    I'm almost 58 years old. I now interject.

". . . a couple of Zebco's and cheap sticks, frozen squid and you won't catch anything during the day. Dawn and sunset is your best bet. Just buy some ice cream and
    enjoy your day at the ocean."

:-)

6. Xue

Xue Member

Name:
    Xue
    Boat:
    None
    I've helped many throughout the years. Usually whenever they can get away from the sales, I mean, "advice" guy.

Myself, I have many walmart ugly stick combo's from the times we were away and wanted to fish.

7. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    I'm not sure fishing lends itself to a specific step by step instruction. That said there is a basic framework to prepare for a trip.

Lake fishing in a place I am not familiar with I absolutely want to see a map with depth contours. Often the maps available are "fishing" maps with a bunch of other info about where to fish for what. If your shore fishing shore access may be a problem in places.

I agree that some local tackle shops can be a good source of info. The more you fish the more you will be able to separate the BS from the good advice no matter if the source is a shop. your fellow fishermen or even BD, :D

You also need to study up on what your expected to target. Take some time to read up on your quarry. As has been said time on the water figuring things out is invaluable.

Your first rod/reel setups should be versatile. If you go to a place to target bass but they are slow your rig should be able to switch over to say catfish if they are around. Have a basic tackle box with the things you need to cover a change in plans.

Always remember that it is fishing - not always catching. You learn from not catching as much as catching, maybe more. Always try to enjoy the experience no matter how much catching is going on.

RichG likes this.
  8. shellback

shellback Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    shellback
    Boat:
    other peoples
    ignore females collect currency

BobbyAgate likes this.
  9. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Newbie

Name:
    Lavorizia Vaughn
    Boat:
    I don’t have a boat
    Hey guys sorry for getting back to u guys so late, but yea, I totally understand where your coming from. And at the same time I’ve learned about getting on a boat with a deckhand and fishing which is something I never thought I could do! I’m gonna get my ass out there and learn on the job as that sounds like where I’ll get all the info I need. Thanks again fellas!

RodRage likes this.
  10. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Newbie

Name:
    Lavorizia Vaughn
    Boat:
    I don’t have a boat
    ????

11. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Newbie

Name:
    Lavorizia Vaughn
    Boat:
    I don’t have a boat
    Absolutely hilarious!

12. RodRage

RodRage Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat:
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    My first trip on a cattle boat went something similar...