In Need Of Guidance

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by TheNewGuy, Jun 25, 2019.

1. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Newbie

Name:
    Lavorizia Vaughn
    Boat:
    I don’t have a boat
    Hello to all, I am TheNewGuy looking for a little helpful advice as I am a novice devoted to learning. My question is simple, how do you get prepared to fish? On the surface that question sounds really stupid so let me clarify. In preparation of a fishing trip do you do research on water depth of the site and the fish swimming at the site to prepare the proper equipment. My assumption is that you guys are smart, so, of course you do. That being said it would be nice if someone could outline the steps (in numerical order if possible) to being adequately prepared to oust the tricky nature of a fish!

2. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    A good way to start would be to join a local fishing club, there's got to be a few in Oakland.
    If it's the ocean you're looking at, some of the party boats will rent you everything you need and the deckhands can give you a rundown on what to do. Best way to start is to just go.

RichG, CartridgeCalls and ripped like this.
  3. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Newbie

Name:
    Lavorizia Vaughn
    Boat:
    I don’t have a boat
    So, when you say just go, I’m assuming you mean to just get out there and learn through experience...I’ve done this a couple times. I caught crappy with ease my first time, but the poll I was using was completely put together (rigs and all) so all I had to do is concentrate on casting and catching fish. Fast forward a year, which was just this past sat and sun, I bought my own pole, while in Tahoe for two days, completely rigged it up (thanks to some helpful YouTube videos) and caught nothing...so yea I have a little experience but was kinda curious as to how you guys assess a potential fishing site...oh and thanks for your reply swami 805!

4. maurice escobedo

maurice escobedo Counselor

Name:
    Esteban
    Boat:
    24' Wellcraft air slot
    Well.... it’s called “fishing “ not “catching “
    First thing you need to learn is you’re not always gonna catch fish.
    What’s your target species???
    For me, that’s first. Then I figure out line class for that species.
    Example, yellowtail, 20lb-50lb deep home guards require heavier line to turn them so they don’t rock you, surface kelp fish, jigs, and 20lb test
    Tuna, heavier line, heavier rod,
    It’s all a learning experience and I learn something new more often than not.
    Like what was said “just go do it” that’s how one learns.
    Good luck

5. flytie

flytie Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    GC
    Boat:
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    You will hear and read this more times than you can count.

Spend time on the water.

As you do this and spend time studying at home, you will learn the conditions, locations and techniques that produce.

Fishing is an art learned by practice. Once you practice you will get much better much quicker.

6. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Lavorizia. I agree with what has been said. You have asked a very broad question with multiple answers. Then you use two examples, in the ocean and lake Tahoe.

If you are fishing places like Lake Tahoe, or other lakes. I would go to a local tackle shop and ask them where they have been biting and on "What?" Lake and stream fishing vary daily. The type of equipment is a variable. Oh and of the few times I have tried to catch fish in Lake Tahoe, it was just a beautiful day on the water with no bites.

If you have your own boat on the ocean, you have to find where the fish are biting and on what. Like the fresh water.

Many of us go sport boat fishing. We just pay our fare and go. It's up to the Captain to put you on fish and tell you the suggested bait. Then it's up to you to get your bait in the water in the right place. You don't always get bit. The sport fishing boats want you happy and work hard to put you on the fish and help.

So the answer to your question.

1. Where are you going to fish?
    2. Who can you turn to for advise regarding the area you are going to fish.

Then it goes from there.

Good luck. Fishing is a great sport and should be very relaxing.

PS I was told once that the smaller lakes around Lake Tahoe are easier to catch fish. I never tried any. I have only fished Lake Tahoe a few times, it was a secondary thought to a nice boat ride.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  7. RichG

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    P.S.

Lavorizia, if you are going to continue to fish. I suggest you learn a few knots, especially to tie a hook on. Master one or two.

The learn your equipment. The reel needs to be in good shape, the drag set correctly for the line.

8. stonefly

stonefly Member

Name:
    randy welsh
    Boat:
    16' mirrocraft
    "Fishing" is an awful big bite to chew all at once.
    Many different disciplines but each has a lot in common.
    You start with one, get the basics down and keep growing with it as you branch out to others.
    Even the crappie and trout thing......you could use the same tackle because they are a similar size but 2 very different animals with different ways of making their living.
    (which is the main thing you need to know about a new species)
    The best place to start is close to the house,
    if your'e in Tahoe often then trout would be a good start.
    If not i would pick a boat at the Berkley marina, keep going, make yourself a regular customer, have fun, enjoy yourself and it will just come.

Nature has a way of meeting a guy half way if he puts in an effort.

RichG and bent rod todd like this.
  9. bent rod todd

bent rod todd Ling cod killa

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20 open (Ding A Ling) 14ft mirrocraft ( Lil Ding A Ling)
    YouTube is your friend watch videos, but like mentioned above time on water is key, reach out to other fisherman in area looking for someone to fish with. Being from Oakland I would focus on a multi purpose rod and reel I could use off the piers or try the rock walls around the marinas. Get basic knot and rigging styles and go for it. 1st tip for the bay most fish like moving water, try to target tide changes.

10. Xue

Xue Member

Name:
    Xue
    Boat:
    None
    Give some details on where you want to fish and it'll give people a better idea to lead you. "Fishing" is a broad term that can mean catching bluegill to catching 200 lb tuna.

11. RodRage

RodRage I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat:
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    1, stop by tackle shop and spend an absurd amount of money, and liquor store for an 18 pack
    2, pack a sandwich and at least 10 beers.
    3, drink the remaining 8 beers and Watch YouTube till two in the morning to get yourself all pumped up
    4, wake up hung over And stumble down to the boat 15 minutes late to meet a pissed of Captain and crew
    5, Open your first beer ..
    6, try and find a spot at the front of the boat make your first cast with that new Avett reel and proceed to get the biggest birds nest in your line you’ve ever seen
    7, Open your second beer.
    8,Have the deck and help you out and make a mental note to tip him everything you have left in your wallet at the end of the trip.
    9,Open your third beer,
    10,It’s it’s about 11 o’clock in the morning now everybody’s catching fish and so far you had three tangles had a hand in breaking off two other guys fish and no one wants to talk to you.
    11, Open your fourth beer.
    12, Try and make friends with one person as a last ditch effort and maybe he’ll take pity and hand off a hot rod to you.
    13, share your rest of your beer with him.!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    ReelWhite likes this.
  12. ReelWhite

ReelWhite Local Hooker

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    2660WAC Sailfish
    If I were you I would set some goals on what you want to catch whether that is saltwater species or freshwater. From there you need to research on type of gear, type of bait, type of year that certain fish is most abundant, and locations to have a good chance at catching what your targeting. If you just want to fish for any species hit up a local sport boat and go out for the day where they will have rental gear and deckhands to help you. There is a lot of good info on this site to learn but the best way to learn is getting out there, pay attention to others that know what they're doing, practice, and maybe you'll be rewarded. A fishing buddy also helps a lot and even if you don't catch you still have an awesome time out on the water with your pals which is what it's all about. Fishing can be difficult at times (most of the time) but every time out on the water is an experience and lesson to be learned. Best of luck to ya.

RichG likes this.
  13. Fog Ducker!

Fog Ducker! Misanthropical member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    4 and counting!
    It's all fractional!

Start with a fifth, down it and it won't make any difference!

Ducker!

RodRage likes this.
  14. Xue

Xue Member

Name:
    Xue
    Boat:
    None
    Everybody usually suggests talking to the tackle shops about what you need. I wouldn't. I overhear a lot when I'm there (multiple places every year) and the "advice" is usually not right. You go in for panfish and come out with catfish gear.

Watch the guys below. This channel gives the best detailed advice in my opinion. If I was doing this type of fishing I'm sure it'd help a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tacticalbassin

15. bent rod todd

bent rod todd Ling cod killa

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20 open (Ding A Ling) 14ft mirrocraft ( Lil Ding A Ling)
    Beer is the key ,

RodRage likes this.
  16. RichG

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Everybody usually suggests talking to the tackle shops about what you need. I wouldn't. I overhear a lot when I'm there (multiple places every year) and the "advice" is usually not right. You go in for panfish and come out with catfish gear.

Go to a shop that is dedicated to fishing and not a big box sporting goods store. Especially a local shop where you plan to fish. They know where and what's been working. Ask the salesperson when he was out last.

17. Xue

Xue Member

Name:
    Xue
    Boat:
    None
    Also, shop at walmart for your stuff to start. You're gonna over pay for the same gear at the tackle shop.

18. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Remember first the goal is to get outdoors and enjoy yourself. If you just want fish go the the fish market. Be patient, don’t get frustrated and keep a good attitude. You can’t go wrong

19. Xue

Xue Member

Name:
    Xue
    Boat:
    None
    It is usually the local shops. They almost always not listen to the questions being asked or look at who is asking it. What they try to sell is the right stuff, for another species of fish, but not the right stuff for a mother with her kids for example.

I was in Santa Cruz three weeks ago and went to get some stuff for fishing with my kid. A mother (I assume single) with three kids came in looking for "fishing poles and bait" for fishing the wharf and ended up with 30 lb braid and 2 oz sinkers and two full setups that were not made for kids fishing the wharf. They probably spent over $250. I was there for the whole thing looking at the same stuff, but it's usually not my place to interject on someone's business. We travel somewhere probably every other month and I try to hit up tackle shops in the area and I see this all the time everywhere. Sometimes it's a sad sight.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  20. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Newbie

Name:
    Lavorizia Vaughn
    Boat:
    I don’t have a boat
    Understood! Thanks guys!

embo likes this.