Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
There are several things you will need to fish in Mexico this year without getting hassled. I won't get into all the details of each, but this should get you started.

Mexican Fishing License - You will need this to fish anywhere in Mexico. They are good for a year and you can buy it online or at San Diego tackle shops like Dana Landing and Fishermens Landing. The only online service that is working is here. The online link is here (I used Google Chrome browser and had it translate for me):

http://apps.bcs.gob.mx/finanzas/finaweb/fonmar/index.php

Here's how to fill it out.

upload_2014-3-12_10-56-52.png

upload_2014-3-12_10-57-5.png

upload_2014-3-12_10-57-23.png

upload_2014-3-12_10-57-36.png

upload_2014-3-12_11-0-2.png

IMPORTANT!!! - After you buy the License you will have to email them and ask for them to email your permit to you. I don't have the email address but I beleive it's on your email receipt. If someone can forward this, I'll will update this post.

FMM "Visa" - You will need an FMM ONLY if you are fishing inside of 12 miles from shore (Ie. Coronado Islands, Lower 9 Mile Bank, Todos Santos). If you are only fishing offshore, you may pass closer than 12 miles to Mexico without this. You can get FMMs for your ENTIRE crew in one transaction. You can get your FMMs here:

http://www.inm.gob.mx/

upload_2014-3-12_11-5-9.png

Click English in the upper right hand corner.

upload_2014-3-12_11-5-54.png

In the lower left corner, click on the marlin logo "Sportfishing and Nautical Tourism Permit Fee"

upload_2014-3-12_11-7-8.png

Read the instructions and follow the link in red at the bottom.

upload_2014-3-12_11-7-54.png

This will take you to this page to set up and pay for your FMMs for your entire crew. Follow the instructions.

upload_2014-3-12_16-10-48.png

Once you pay, go back to this page (it will still be open) you will need to download and fill out the manifest from the instruction page above.

upload_2014-3-12_16-12-53.png

Fill out the spreadsheet with the requested info. Your port of entry is Ensenada or ENS. The itinerary should read US > EN > US regardless of making landfall.

upload_2014-3-12_16-49-23.png

upload_2014-3-12_16-53-14.png

Once this is complete. Email the manifest above with the receipt for the FMMs to [email protected]

You are supposed to wait for confirmation from Mexico before you leave, but no one that I know of has received this. The Navy has been fine with just a copy of the manifest and your receipt.

Temporary Import Permit (TIP) - This is the permit that allows you to import your boat into Mexico. If you are going to dock your boat in a Mexican port, you need this. If you are just fishing and not making landfall you do NOT need this. BUT, there have been reports of the Navy asking for one. I personally am getting them for my boats just in case I want to go to Ensenada.

You will need a copy of your boat registration or Coast Guard documentation.

The process is simple, you just need to go to here:

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

upload_2014-3-12_16-26-19.png

Click on English and follow the steps. It takes about a week to receive it in the mail

If your boat is held in a corporation, there is some additional work that needs to be done. I just paid Donna Jenkins in San Diego $150 to handle this for me. I don't know what's entailed and for $150, I'm not gonna find out.

That's about it.

AGAIN. If you want to fish Mexico inside of 12 miles you will need:

1. Mex Fishing license
2. Passport or Passport Card (they have been accepting birth certificates and Drivers License but I wouldn't bank on it)
3. FMM for your entire crew
4. TIP only if you are going to dock in Mex and stay the night.

It all sounds complicated but I got it all done while writing this in about an hour.

Good luck.

upload_2014-3-12_16-8-38.png

upload_2014-3-12_16-15-50.png

upload_2014-3-12_16-16-31.png

upload_2014-3-12_16-17-51.png

Last edited:

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Thanks Ali.....

OCEAN theRAPIST

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 9, 2012
san diego/kali/us
Name
randy
Boat
ocean therapist
glad to see this an at the same time kinda bummed i wont be going south as much do to the changes an hassle that comes with but either way its good to see this thread

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
It's really very easy to do. Like I said, first time took me an hour. Next time I can do it in minutes.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
It's really very easy to do. Like I said, first time took me an hour. Next time I can do it in minutes.
Cool......
Do it for me and I'll pay you back later :D

chazdaddy

Village Idiot
Apr 15, 2006
Santee, CA
Name
Chuck
Boat
Trophy 2509
To your knowledge, they are only considering the mainland when calculating 12 miles out, not 12 miles from nearest Mexican land, ie the Nados? If they consider the nados in these calculations, most of the local banks would require an FMM.

Reactions: tsutton

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
To your knowledge, they are only considering the mainland when calculating 12 miles out, not 12 miles from nearest Mexican land, ie the Nados? If they consider the nados in these calculations, most of the local banks would require an FMM.

Mainland only.

chazdaddy

Village Idiot
Apr 15, 2006
Santee, CA
Name
Chuck
Boat
Trophy 2509
Cool. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

respect4ocean

TUNA SLAYER
Jul 10, 2010
chula vista
Name
Lonnie
Boat
2110 parker
They check TIP also at the boarder crossing and at the marinas to launch, not just to " dock in mex and stay the night "..

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Thanks.... Now this is an informative report... some writers should check it out.

I will be writing the owners of BD and tell them that you should get a promotion and a raise... LOL ssshit and someone wondered if their post would get you attention... I don't care what they say about you Ali, you are all right.:appl:

Reactions: Icantswim

mezr 2ice

Oct 12, 2004
Fallbrook, CA
Name
Adam
Boat
26 Twin Vee Express
They check TIP also at the boarder crossing and at the marinas to launch, not just to " dock in mex and stay the night "..
Just out of curiousity, when did they start checking for TIP's at the border? I have never been checked.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
So if we are fishing the banks and not the islands or within 12 miles of the mainland.. we do not need the fmm ....is this correct... ? we only need out fishing permit...

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
Thank you Ali... I guess all the shit Carl said about you wasn't true after all... :D

fishray

Jul 17, 2006
california
Name
Ray
Boat
2510 PARKER
Thanks Ali.....
There are several things you will need to fish in Mexico this year without getting hassled. I won't get into all the details of each, but this should get you started.

Mexican Fishing License - You will need this to fish anywhere in Mexico. They are good for a year and you can buy it online or at San Diego tackle shops like Dana Landing and Fishermens Landing. The only online service that is working is here. The online link is here (I used Google Chrome browser and had it translate for me):

http://apps.bcs.gob.mx/finanzas/finaweb/fonmar/index.php

Here's how to fill it out.

View attachment 503686
View attachment 503687
View attachment 503689
View attachment 503690

View attachment 503691

IMPORTANT!!! - After you buy the License you will have to email them and ask for them to email your permit to you. I don't have the email address but I beleive it's on your email receipt. If someone can forward this, I'll will update this post.

FMM "Visa" - You will need an FMM ONLY if you are fishing inside of 12 miles from shore (Ie. Coronado Islands, Lower 9 Mile Bank, Todos Santos). If you are only fishing offshore, you may pass closer than 12 miles to Mexico without this. You can get FMMs for your ENTIRE crew in one transaction. You can get your FMMs here:

http://www.inm.gob.mx/

View attachment 503692
Click English in the upper right hand corner.

View attachment 503693
In the lower left corner, click on the marlin logo "Sportfishing and Nautical Tourism Permit Fee"

View attachment 503694
Read the instructions and follow the link in red at the bottom.

View attachment 503695
This will take you to this page to set up and pay for your FMMs for your entire crew. Follow the instructions.

View attachment 503785
Once you pay, go back to this page (it will still be open) you will need to download and fill out the manifest from the instruction page above.

View attachment 503786
Fill out the spreadsheet with the requested info. Your port of entry is Ensenada or ENS. The itinerary should read US > EN > US regardless of making landfall.

View attachment 503796
View attachment 503798
Once this is complete. Email the manifest above with the receipt for the FMMs to [email protected]

You are supposed to wait for confirmation from Mexico before you leave, but no one that I know of has received this. The Navy has been fine with just a copy of the manifest and your receipt.

Temporary Import Permit (TIP) - This is the permit that allows you to import your boat into Mexico. If you are going to dock your boat in a Mexican port, you need this. If you are just fishing and not making landfall you do NOT need this. BUT, there have been reports of the Navy asking for one. I personally am getting them for my boats just in case I want to go to Ensenada.

You will need a copy of your boat registration or Coast Guard documentation.

The process is simple, you just need to go to here:

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

View attachment 503792
Click on English and follow the steps. It takes about a week to receive it in the mail

If your boat is held in a corporation, there is some additional work that needs to be done. I just paid Donna Jenkins in San Diego $150 to handle this for me. I don't know what's entailed and for $150, I'm not gonna find out.

That's about it.

AGAIN. If you want to fish Mexico inside of 12 miles you will need:

1. Mex Fishing license
2. Passport or Passport Card (they have been accepting birth certificates and Drivers License but I wouldn't bank on it)
3. FMM for your entire crew
4. TIP only if you are going to dock in Mex and stay the night.

It all sounds complicated but I got it all done while writing this in about an hour.

Good luck.

alysonha

Apr 10, 2009
Westminster,CA
Name
Aly
Boat
26' Striper CC
the link you provided for Mex fishing permit on line somehow is not working ..I am using Google Chrome still not working..is there any other Mex fishing permit online?