DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Had to Check out an upcoming jobsite in El Centro so I thought I would check out the SE portion of the Valley to get an idea of what the dove conditions were. Didn't get down there until 830AM or so so I could only locate birds either roosting or around the canals and watering holes and yes there were plenty birds everywhere; but particularly along the East Highline Canal. Tons and tons of small 1st year birds but I think they have had a few rainstorms earlier as I saw a lot of (for Imperial Valley) standing water in several places and I never saw any whitewings at all. Never made it north of I-8 so I can't tell you how the DFG fields looked. Do your Scouting Monday Afternoon and you should do OK. Didn't see any new Trespass Signs but they will probably go up over the weekend. There were quite a few Eurasians too as my buddy put a dent in them earlier in the week.
BRIAN's EURASIAN SLAUGHTER 8-20.JPG

Once again Newsom can thick his Steel Shot up his ass as I'm headed back to AZ for a killer ,410 hunt

Upvote 0

windmillwilly

Jul 15, 2006
wildomar ca.
Name
bill
Boat
nada
Heading down Sunday night to scout Monday morning then out to shoot some skeet to knock the rust off then before it gets too hot pull the rifles out and put some yardage on it,good luck on the opener to every one!

Upvote 0

skelly1

Jun 29, 2006
Ramona
Name
Steve
Boat
20' skipjack flybridge
Can't wait to shoot some birds again. It's been over a decade. I have 8 packs of 6's and 7's steelshot and a new shotgun. Good times ahead. It's going to be hot and will bring a lot of water. Any tips would be appreciated, I am a seasoned fisherman but a rookie hunter. I have my license, I have my shotgun (can't borrow one from your buddy in CA) that I bought and paid for so I can do this. Waited for hours at Turners so I could buy a shotgun. Painful. Can't wait. Tight lines.

Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Scout morning and evening if possible. If you find a good field/spot get there at 4am to beat the other hunters to it. Spread out if there are more than two. Steel shot requires IC or some variation vs modified or full with lead. You may know all that.

Can't wait to shoot some birds again. It's been over a decade. I have 8 packs of 6's and 7's steelshot and a new shotgun. Good times ahead. It's going to be hot and will bring a lot of water. Any tips would be appreciated, I am a seasoned fisherman but a rookie hunter. I have my license, I have my shotgun (can't borrow one from your buddy in CA) that I bought and paid for so I can do this. Waited for hours at Turners so I could buy a shotgun. Painful. Can't wait. Tight lines.

Upvote 0

skelly1

Jun 29, 2006
    Ramona
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    20' skipjack flybridge
    Thanks Highwayman. I got three birds on Tuesday. Birds that I got were all long shots. We hunted a small field near Calipatria. Great experience, it was fun. Headed out again tomorrow for the real heat but I have an RV with AC so hoping that I don't die. Will report back what we get hopefully with pics. I would probably rather go fishing on the san diego but I'm all in for the hunt. Thanks for the tips.

Upvote 0

skelly1

Jun 29, 2006
    Ramona
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    20' skipjack flybridge
    Plan was to stay in my toy hauler in Palo Verde at a friend's house with a group of friends Friday night through Sunday morning. Lost a tire on the three axle toyhauler in Ocotillo Wells. Noticed 2 more tires were separated. (checked tires before I left my house) Hot road I guess. Don't normally leave for desert in the evening because feces occurs, but my daughter's work schedule meant we had to leave in the afternoon. My rule for any desert trip is to bring a jack and I broke it. Forgot a jack??? Oh fuck. Waited 2 hours for AAA to put my one spare on. White knuckled it 30 MPH to Brawley where we stayed in the Brawley Inn. One could say we could have stayed in Ocotillo Wells for the night with a loaded shotgun but it's closed so my decision was to hopefully make it to Brawley and sleep in AC in a safe environment and get tires in the morning at the closest tire shop. Spent the night and went to OK Tire in Brawley at 8 am when they opened. Said to replace all 6 tires, and we were done and out of there by 9. Headed to Palo Verde with no other issues other than it was hot, really hot and my trailers AC doesn't work in 120 degree weather. Worked wonderful last night though and I woke up cold. Friends got a ton of birds in Ripley at a field that morning. Mostly Eurasions. Went to Ripley again that evening for a decent shoot. I got 7, mostly Eurasions but a couple white wing. Got up this morning and hit the same field for a few more. All in all it was a great trip and I'm getting better at killing birds, but my friends had a lot more success with the birds. Long ways to go and it was a hot mofo out there but good times with my daughter and friends. Got some good dove recipes and will be eating them tomorrow.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Glad you got out and had some success! I've done the same tire scenario with both my motorhome and my enclosed trailer just replace them all and get it over with; nothing worse than worrying about your tires when you're on a trip.

Thanks for the Report

Upvote 0

Latest posts